“A must see place”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Banff, United Kingdom
“A must see place”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

If your following the airborn assult to do with D Day this a must visit place the first home to be liberated on 6th June 1944 it's become a shrine to the boys since the end WW2 it's a bit a rough stuff posted on the walls any old way not sure if it's charm or ? But a place to visit either when I visited over the celebrations we all felt getting riped off with the booze prices but who cares a great moment in history

• Visited June 2014

• Czech first
“An experience not to be forgotten!”
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

I had to write this review after reading some of the others. I visited today with my husband and our 18 year old daughter. Of course we were familiar with Mme Gondree's story before we went, and were delighted to find a table outside - weather just stunning. Madame herself served us, and yes, she didn't really want to hear my 'conversational' French & she did, to all intents & purposes, tell us what we wanted to order, but we thought she was brilliant. She is 74 years old & STILL works in a crazy-busy cafe! She's fantastic! Food is plain & very overpriced but you don't go there every day. When my daughter went in to enquire about toilets, she came back out with the toilet key & our tray of drinks, which Madame had directed her to bring out to our table! Haha! When I went inside to pay she chatted away & was very pleasant. She told me I had a pretty smile, so naturally I like her ;-) To sum up, don't go there expecting a cheap or particularly exciting meal, go there to visit this amazing lady & all the incredibly poignant history which surrounds her. I think she's a treasure.

Visited July 2014
chippenham
“Ripped off”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

We paid €74 for 5 soups. 3 small beers and 4 coffees!!!! The soup was tasteless.
Madame was more interested in giving free drinks to the army rather than refunding our money.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank BristolArchie
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
“Dissapointing”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We bought coffee and Hot Chocolate from here a few years ago on a visit to Pegasus bridge. Great to think back to what the cafe was used for during WW2, but the chocolate was some of the worst we had ever had, the coffee not much better.

Visited August 2013
Wotton-under-edge, United Kingdom
“Cafe Gondree”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

There are no suitable lavatories at the cafe Gondree A problem for the traveller.
There is a public lavatory at the far end of the car park.
My wife, having found it with difficulty, then discovered it was locked.

The cafe on the opposite side of the road has waitress service (self service at Cafe Gondree) Is clean & spacious & has clean lavatories

• Visited July 2014