“Truly French”

Hotel Restaurant La Glycine
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Benouville
Reviewed July 15, 2014

This is a little gem of a hotel close to the Pegasus bridge and a million miles from the accommodation in the Ouistreham chain hotels. The food is fabulous, and the clientele almost exclusively French. No English cars there on 13th July. Oysters and lobsters feature on the menus, as do a range of fishy dishes. The 'protein plate' of beef, lamb cutlet and quail is a carnivores treat - maybe a bit more quail though, since I only had half a bird which doesn't go far. Hotel rooms are freshly modernised and perfectly adequate. Beware of rooms at the front of the hotel, overlooking the crossroads. This is a busy junction, and there is traffic throughout the night. Best to be in the annex across the road, which has it's own parking, and is much quieter. You need to book your room or table beforehand, since turning up on spec will almost certainly result in disappointment.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David A

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Lovely setting ten minutes from ferry. Stayed evening of arrival do missed dinner. However service excellent in bar and rooms very clean although twee! Village calm peaceful and nice welcome back to France. Breakfast adequate.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I am sure I must rank as one of the Glycine’s most long-standing and committed guests, having stayed there 6 or 7 times since 1995 to visit the many battle sites and museums in the area.

Despite this undoubted illustrious position, whenever I make an enquiry, or even when I check-in, I am met with the same cool indifference I might expect if I had woken them up late one wet Normandy night for a room. There is no “Ah, so good to see Monsieur again. Come to see the battlefields, eh? And you have brought another friend! Excellent! You are most welcome to the Glycine encore”. None of that. Each time I am treated as though we have never met.

However, the rooms are clean and comfortable. The hotel is modern, stylish and clearly well cared-for. And its location - a mile or two inland and a short cycle ride from the Docks along the canal – is the perfect spot for a battlefield tour. But the food - the food! – is unparalled. I know as one gets older one is perhaps more prone to hyperbole – but I can honestly say that the Glycene’s cuisine is amongst the finest I have ever tasted. Anywhere. On my last visit (April 2014) we had half-board and my friend pointed out that we had in fact had five courses for dinner – not counting coffee or aperitif. And each one was exquisite. Fantastique value!

Despite a now-expected luke-warm welcome, in all other respects the Glycine is the perfect place for a short séjour to Normandy. I look forward to many more adventures – in the bocage and the dining room.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Manonabicycle
Reviewed April 29, 2014

We arrived by ferry late at night and this was just a few minutes drive. Clean bright quiet room, safe off-street parking. Nothing to see or do in the village, and we didn't try the restaurant, but the hotel is perfect for a pit stop. Maybe for longer, but we didn't try.

Room Tip: We stayed in the annex across the (tiny) road from the main restaurant hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We were visiting pegasus Bridge, & I had looked up this restaurant before our trip, but didnt book. For some reason i had expected a much more basic restaurant, but was very pleasantly surprised. It was very busy with locals, but we got a table for 2. We shared a dozen oysters to start, and i followed this with a really delicious lamb cutlet with sweet breads in a mushroom sauce. It was excellent.This was followed by a selection of cheeses, all for €28.00. There was a menu for €18, €28, €38, & €55, but we were very happy with ours for €28.
Service was friendly & the waiter very helpful. It is literally 2 minutes from Pegasus bridge, and I would highly reccommend it to visitors, but would also recommend making a reservation, as I think we were lucky to get in.

Room Tip: We didnt overnight, but recommend restaurant reservation.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rocky17
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We booked this hotel online through booking.com to stay for one night in Feb 2014.
We had been ski ing in Switzerland for two weeks and wanted to visit Pegasus bridge as my Grand father fought there in the second world war.
The lady who served us breakfast was absolutely lovely and spoke fantastic english which put our French speaking ability to shame!!
The room we had was fabulous and immaculately clean, wonderful comfy bed, fab shower and wi fi.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone as it is superb value for money and the decor in the rooms and hotel is wonderful.

Fab, fab, fab : )

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KEVSMRS
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This was our second visit and it turned out to be just as enjoyable after we changed rooms. At first we were shown into a smallish room which would have been alright if it hadn't been for the smell of fresh paint. Rooms were being updated and the workman and his machines were next door. We were then moved into a superior room but we were only charged the price of the smaller one. The village and hotel are very quiet and a short distance from the Pegasus Bridge, a strategic bridge in the second World War.
Dinner was again superb and one of the reasons we returned. The other one is that it is very close to the ferry from Ouistreham ( or Caen ) to Portsmouth. We have now had two good experiences at this hotel (except for the paint) and I'm certain that we will stay here again when using the ferry to Caen.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benouville
Best Western La Mare O Poissons
#4 of 8 in Ouistreham
Riva Bella Hotel
Riva Bella Hotel
#2 of 8 in Ouistreham

Been to Hotel Restaurant La Glycine? Share your experiences!