“satisfactory not fancy”
Review of Hotel Suiza

Hotel Suiza
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Arzua
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We stayed here after a long day on the Camino. The room was basic and clean and we looked out over the courtyard and the highway so we thought noise would be a problem but it was not. The meal which came with the room (all prebooked in advance) was one of the best we had on the Camino. There is no elevator so be ready to haul bags up stairs. The staff were courteous and helpful. The location is just off the camino so it is a convenient stop for that but it is on the edge of town so if you want to go somewhere else for dinner it's a long walk into town.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank vicriver

Reviewed August 2, 2013

I subscribe to the "if you don't anything nice to say, then don't say it... " BUT... When we arrived, 6 of us stood in the reception are for over 15 minutes waiting for someone to come out. A woman who works there saw us, but didn't come out despite our bell ringing, throat clearing, requests for help. This hotel was on a major road so we asked for a room in the back, off the road. The owner promised that the road isn't used at night and there would be no noise. We were up all night with rumbling trucks and whizzing cars. At the restaurant, my friend was given a croissant with cobwebs on it. and I had already bitten into my very stale croissant, which I put down immediately. The room was very hot with no air. It is in an industrial area with no services around it, which was fine if you just needed a place to crash, but it was just far enough out of town to be inconvenient especially is you are walking the camino and needed supplies for the next day. It was also too far out (and down a big steep hill) to walk back and meet friends for dinner or drinks.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, ask for a room in the back which overlooks a factory. Check your food for wea...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We booked this hotel sight unseen - as my husband and I were both sick while walking the Camino. This has average sized rooms, very clean, and as I said the location was great for us, and the folks in the hotel could not have tried harder to help us. The service we received was very good! The one down side - is our room was over the bar - and the tiled floors and wide staircases made the sound travel ... felt like the revelers were right next door. I am a light sleeper ... so it was not a restful night for me. There are many rooms - make sure you don't get one above the bar.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bar/restaurant area.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank WhiteMtnsFolk
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I've done over 40 reviews and have been rather positive. (Not sure if you can check about that). I can't do that with this one. Hotel Suiza just doesn't merit it. It's all small stuff but it adds up.
1. Having to fight to use my credit card.
2. A tiny room with only a skylight.
3. Even though I am in my 40's (not 4 years old!) and traveled extensively in Europe, I still had a river out of the bathroom after one of the more challenging shower experiences of my travel life.
4. Being told I can't have a tab at the place because (as I was asked to do) I paid at check-in.
5. Not being able to review this hotel till the next one because the internet service - not the hotels but free-hotspot.com - was not functioning adequately.
6. Struggling over the "Menu of the Day:" items listed were not available, others such as wine AND water were a misprint; only one piece of bread and having to fight for the included coffee was way too much a hassle at 12 euro (2 more than most places charge)!
7. The owner/innkeeper? changing the TV in the dinning room to cartoons because he, his daughter and his wife sat down to eat. (If the guests didn't feel insignificant enough)!
8. The hotel is not on the Camino but the highway and I felt stranded/isolated while here.

Was it better than an albergue? Not sure, to be honest.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Mike N
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Arriving here after a 19 mile walk, we were 'greeted' by a very unfriendly receptionist. She made no effort to locate our bags, which had been delivered and put in an annexe. When we found them, she took great delight in informing us there was no lift ! Not a major problem, but a smile or two would have been nice. As it was quite a way back to town and we were tired, we had to eat there. The food was actually excellent, but because we had booked a set meal they would not give one of our party (who has a wheat allergy) an alternative to the cake dessert. Fortunately, this was the only occasion we came across such awful service. Would suggest a Pilgrim stay nearer the town.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bubaluyve
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel as part of our Camino trek sight unseen. Happy with hotel itself though no one spoke much English which makes some things difficult. Every one tried to be helpful but difficult to have any queries answered easily. Rooms large and ok clean. Linen old and mattresses hard and the usual paper thin walls. Seems pretty standard in Spain at all levels brood on restaurant adequate and dinner value for amount paid but breakfast was a rip off. The main word of caution for this hotel is its location. Over 1 kilometre from the centre of town. After a long and hard days walk the last thing you want to do is to walk into town for any socialising or shopping for supplies so you are pretty much stuck with what the hotel offers for meals etc.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Kiwi-child
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed here two nights last month and cannot qualify the facilities as "Suiza" (Swiss). Our bathroom had no hot water (some irk in the pipes apparently), but we could wash in the bidet! The ceiling light was blown. Our first morning's breakfast was served by a sour faced lady. She managed to charge us 1,50 Euro for just one banana. We also had a meal in their downtown restaurant, where the same lady owner had problems in defining our bill, ultimately charging without diplomacy an excessive sum for a few glasses of table wine.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arzua
Pazo Santa Maria
1 mi away
Albergue Milpes
Albergue Milpes
#9 of 25 in Arzua

Been to Hotel Suiza? Share your experiences!