“Not if you don't like animals on the table”

Les Eaux Tranquilles
Reviewed April 25, 2012

The main problem with this is the host. Doesn't he go on and on and on and on. Chris is an expat who tells you at great length why he no longer lives in the UK. You are forced to listen to him all through the evening meal and again at breakfast. You cannot start a discussion with any other guest without Chris interrupting and giving his opinion. He monopolises the conversation. The pre-booked meal was good, and a bit on the expensive side No coffee was offered at the end of it either. No hand soap in the rooms. The bedhead didn't fit the bed, which made the room look odd, and the cats were allowed on the table. Beds were OK although one of us had a bad back afterwards which impacted the rest of the holiday. No Mrs Kenway! A lovely location, though.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Harry C
Christopher K, Owner at Les Eaux Tranquilles, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2012

I guess that this is the type of review that B&B owners dread receiving and I have wondered how to respond although in this case it may be better to let my other reviews speak for me. It can be made even worse when you’re the ‘piggy in the middle’ between a group of guests that are diametrically opposed in their views and one complains about the other. Sometimes one has to forcefully steer the conversation away from subjects that others are not comfortable with.

Moving on to address the points raised.

Meals – Our evening meals are competitively priced at 25 Euros per person which include an aperitif, starter, main course, cheese, desert, wine and normally coffee. When you compare this to the local restaurants where a three course set meal starts at 23 Euros excluding aperitif, wine and coffee I feel our price pretty reasonable, especially when you take in to account the comments about giving people too much. It is true that no coffee was offered, I forgot, my fault but then they could have asked and I would have been more than happy to make them some.

No hand soap in the rooms – We are not a hotel we are a Chambres D’Hôtes. We offer soaps, shampoo and shower gel primarily to those who travel by air as often these items are not permitted with some airlines. Most people tend to bring their own as they prefer particular brands. This couple bought their own but packed them in the car prior to early departure. They then, after breakfast, put their bikes on the car and obviously wanted to wash their hands. We have a communal toilet with washbasin (and soap) to save guests constantly going back to their en-suite rooms which they could have used if they had asked.

Cats allowed on the table – NO cats are categorically not allowed on the table at any time. In this case ONE cat tried to get on the table and had its front paws on the table (back legs on the chair). It was removed, placed outside in the garden and an apology was given (and I thought accepted). This is not a normal event and I can only profusely apologise again. Personally I thought comment made it sound like there were hundreds of cats sitting on the table when there wasn’t.

Headboard didn’t fit the bed – This room can be reserved as either a twin or king-size. The headboard is designed to take both configurations in to account. Whilst we are talking bedrooms and beds I noticed the reviewer did not mention that they had reserved the cheapest room we have and were actually given a free upgrade to a better room. They also didn’t mention that we gave them free cycle storage for two bikes in our garage.

Bad back – I am genuinely sorry to hear this and am sad that it impacted on the rest of the reviewer’s holiday although I am not sure it was necessarily our bed. Firstly everyone likes a particular type of bed which is a nightmare for anyone in our business. Some like them soft, some like them medium and others like them a bit harder. You can’t please everyone although this is the first complaint about any of our beds. Secondly I must admit that this particular bed is probably harder than our others which I always understood to be better for people with a dodgy back but I am no expert on this matter.

Once again I am sorry that the reviewer did not enjoy their stay. By way of compensation I am happy to offer them two nights stay with breakfast (no evening meal, there are many restaurants in Quillan) free of charge in our most expensive suite (when not already reserved) and I promise not to talk to them at breakfast.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed at les Eaux Tranquilles for 3 nights this spring as part of our exploration of this amazing area of southwest France, and it couldn't have been a better experience.

The rooms were clean, quiet and spacious, and our genial host Chris was a mine of useful information, helping us get the most out of a short stay; plus his cooking was first class. I recommend eating in with him the first night to have the chance to make the most of his experience.

His recommended walking guide was equally interesting and tailored our guided days out to our interests and fitness, with the pleasure of adventure at our pace.

I cant stress enough how Perfect the location is; near enough to coullieres and Perpignan on the coast and a short distance to many of the Cathar castles and monuments. The local area is full of equally fascinating scenery that is waiting to be discovered. A week would easily be filled with a variety of activities for all ages and interests, and we would have loved to try the gorge rafting had it been the season.

Definitely a place for explorers, lovers of the outdoors and local history. The house itself is set in a lovely location on the banks of a river. Quite a few pets present which we enjoyed a lot, but I imagine it might be the a consideration for non animal lovers.

• Stayed: April 2012
Christopher K, Owner at Les Eaux Tranquilles, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2012

Many thanks for your kind comment.

We were very lucky to find our B&B (formally a family home) with it's excellent location at the centre of everything touristic within the region. Many people, like yourself, find it very peaceful and quiet yet conveniently located. It was a shame that you did not have the best of weather for your walking. I personally prefer late September onwards for walking, the colours are truly wonderful and there is hardly any rain if at all.

I would like to say I am also the chef but I am not, just a cook but I do try to create interesting food using local fresh produce. It seems from other guests comments that my only failing is giving people too much. In the summer I specialise in BBQ's eaten on the terrace which are always great fun and have a wonderful ambiance even if I say so myself.

Glad you enjoyed the guide (we have two, male and female). Bill has some very interesting stories to tell and knows the area 'like the back of his hand' as they say.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Regards

Chris

Reviewed April 19, 2012

It was a perfect spot for a small rest in a busy trip, we had a very relaxing time there. It felt almost like being at home, with the dogs and cats to play with and the fabulous fire when it got really cold.

The views from the window in the room was beautiful, looking out over the river and the mountains. The room was warm, and spacious enough for us not to be in each other's way.

Close enough to the all things you want to see but far enough off the 'tourist track' to be peaceful.

Chris was exceptionally helpful, very friendly and the meals were lovely (and huge!). He gave us lots of advice and the good local knowledge on what to see and do during our stay.

Would have stayed longer, but there was more of France to see....

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Christopher K, Owner at Les Eaux Tranquilles, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2012

Thank you for your comments, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in France and perhaps we will see you again sometime, you would be more than welcome. We will try and cut down on the dinner portions (wink).

Reviewed September 20, 2011

As other reviewers have found, the setting, rooms, food and atmosphere are wonderful. Chris is indeed a welcoming, knowledgeable and truly hospitable host: from the peace of the place you wouldn't know he used to be a pro drummer!
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dpr0
Christopher K, Owner at Les Eaux Tranquilles, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2012

Many thanks for your kind words.

Unfortunately I was not a pro drummer, more and amateur, although the band I played for as a hobby did have a few gigs. Perhaps you were thinking of my uncle who, as a session musician, is most famous for playing the sax at the end of Lou Reeds "Take a walk on the wild side". Wouldn't like people to get the impression I was something I was not.

Thanks again.

Reviewed August 30, 2011

Les Eaux Tranquilles is a very pleasant place where you can just relax listening the sound of the river. We stayed here for six nights and would recommend it , sure! Chris is an excellent host, with a wonderful sense of humor, and -above all- he is an excellent chef!
Grazie grazie grazie
Corinna & Riccardo

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Corinna67
Reviewed July 22, 2011

We booked here for two nights and ended up staying for five. Great accommodation, good food (the addition of boiled eggs at breakfast was a real treat) Extras, drinks etc, were available at very reasonable prices . Comfy bed, brilliant shower. A lovely rural setting with hens at the bottom of the field with the two dogs and cats being very much part of the family. The owner, Chris was more than accommodating and helpful, nothing was too much trouble and we felt extremely comfortable here. He was a mine of information and kindly lent us maps and advised on places of interest. The area is stunning and we really enjoyed our stay. Thank you Chris. Janet and Michael

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2011

What a lovely spot this is - peaceful, comfortable, exactly what we wanted.

Chris is an excellent host - very entertaining and a great source of info regarding what to do etc.

We would have no hesitation in staying again if we return to this beautiful part of France.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple