“need a refresher”

Geko Dive
Ranked #2 of 16 things to do in Padangbai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Geko Dive first opened in June 1997. It is the longest operating dive centre in Padang Bai. Geko Dive has been a PADI Resort since 1998, and is now a PADI 5 Star Resort and TecRec facility. We are fortunate to have one of Bali's best dive staff. Together, the Geko Dive Team can guide and teach in Balinese, English, French, German, Spanish, Indonesian and Japanese. All of our dive guides are excellent divers, with years of working experience on Bali's dive sites. At the same time, SCUBA remains a passion first and foremost. Diving with Geko Dive has always been fun and serene. To make sure that it stays this way, we are not planning to get any bigger than we already are. Dive factories and diving in large herds are not things that the Geko Dive Team enjoys. Diving should be a personal experience! We therefore keep dive groups small (4 max and often less), with similarly experienced divers together. We believe all our guests deserve the ultimate diving adventure with utmost enjoyment and safety.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Dublin, Ireland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“need a refresher”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Padang Bai is definitely not just a place to catch a ferry theres actually some very worthwhile diving there as well. I hadn't been diving in warm water for over 2 years so i decided to do a quick refresher with the guys in Gecko.Wasn't too worried about my skills or how to dive just more about getting my weights right for cocktail diving. walked into Geko and they seemed to be running a well organised dive shop. Good gear good staff nice atmosphere. they had me out on the boat in no time. the guys had my gear set up and even put my fins on! Now I'm definitely not used to that.
This isn't a critique as such because I had explained that I was really just doing the refresher to get my buoyancy nailed down but perhaps if someone rocks up to do a refresher you should ask them if they want to go through how to assemble their gear.
I knocked a star off?- no buddy check. Harsh yeah but theres no option to knock half a star off and not doing a buddy check on a refresher sets a bad tone for what turned out to be an otherwise excellent experience.

Visited November 2013
GekoDiveBali, Manager at Geko Dive, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear jonnyalways,

Thanks a lot for leaving a review. It's great to get some feedback and the Geko Dive Team is thrilled you loved your diving experience with us. Like you, many divers get surprised by the amount of service (someone else putting your fins on for you) they receive for a reasonable price.
This level of services is such that all gear is assembled for the diver by his Divemaster, unless the diver expressed his desire to do so himself. Nonetheless, I agree that equipment assembly, similarly to buddy checks, need to be an integral part of a refresher. I'm truly sorry if this was not done when you were here. I've reminded all Divemasters of this and, thanks to you, next time they will know better.
It is a pity you did not express any of those concerns while you were here. Had you done so, we could have remedied any issue and I'm sure we could have allowed you to enjoy your experience 100%. May be next time you could tell us while you are here?

The Geko Dive Team hopes to see you soon.

Safe diving?

Singapore, Singapore
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Still running an awesome dive operations @ Geko Dive”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

I have been diving in Bali for close to 15 years and have been diving with Geko for awhile now.

This time, I brought my brother (who has not gone diving for more than a decade) for a refresher and we also had 3 teens for OW certification. Darta was very good with the kids and they were comfortable plus were able to get through the course with little challenges. Goban helped my brother and he was really comfortable to dive everyday! :)

For me, I was a super relaxing time as the kids were taken care of and all I have to do is to enjoy my time in & also out of the water!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank RavenLynskey
GekoDiveBali, Manager at Geko Dive, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Scuby,

The Geko Dive Team wishes to take this opportunity to thank you for being a returning diver and for leaving a review. It is always a pleasure to have you dive with us and to share the gift of diving with those who are close to you.

We very much appreciate that you felt we deserved 5 stars this time rather than the 4 stars you gave us 2 years ago. Surely, all these efforts we've put into renovating the dive centre, improving the boats, getting Nitrox in along with the biggest filtration tower in Padang Bai and keeping on doing everything to make our divers happy have paid off!

We hope to see you soon for the kids' Advanced Open Water courses. Beware: I think they caught the bug!

See you soon...
Hove, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Great diving experience”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Padangbai is massively underrated for diving in the Lonely Planet. We did 4 dives with Geko and would totally recommend them to everybody, whether new to diving or very experienced. We had a lovely morning diving Gili Mimpang and Gili Tepekong followed by a very nice lunch back at Geko. We were meant to dive the Liberty wreck the next day, but unfortunately due to a blocked ear we were unable to do so. A week later, after a trip to Gili Air, we returned and arranged for Geko to pick us up from our hotel in Candidasa and dived the Liberty and did a muck dive nearby. The Liberty is absolutely amazing - a real must! And the lunch box provided by Geko was one of the nicest meals we had on our whole trip!

Visited October 2013
Hi,

Thanks a lot for the 5 star review! Your compliments means a lot to us.

I completely agree with you that Padang Bai is totally underrated. It is Bali's single most central town to all the dive sites in the Eastern half of the island. On top of that, local diving is great with beautiful corals, turtles, sharks and a plethora of macro critters. I can't get enough of it!

Apparently, I'm not the only one, since many a diver comes back here after having travelled to other destinations that look better according to guide books... Maybe some editing is in order?

Also glad you enjoyed your lunch. Food is definitely a part of the experience and there is nothing like having a warm meal waiting for you when you get back from diving.

See you on your next visit to our tropical island!
Brisbane, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great experience and amazing wreck dive”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Had a blast diving with Geko at dive sites Bloo Lagoon Tempel & the USS Liberty Wreck.

Kanox was a great dive master pointing out all spots of interest and the more quiet spots. The wreck was stunning and we had perfect conditions for the dive, great visibility.
Have to mention the delicious lunch we had through Gecko.
There are several choices on the menu, we could not stop having the Nasi Campur, it was outstanding.
I bet several divers had food envy when we opened our lunch boxes at Tulamben :)
Can definitely recommend Geko to dive with

Visited September 2013
1 Thank CEFender
Dear CEFender,

Thanks for the review.

The Geko Dive Team agrees with you: Kanox is fun. He is not just funny! Whether he imitates a pygmy seahorse, siagiani squat lobster or kangaroo, you just cannot help laughing... To the point that I had to stop typing just thinking about it!

Thanks as well for the compliments on the food. Nasi Campur, mixed rice, is definitely the way to go! There's more where it came from so come back soon...

Safe diving!
Copenhagen, Denmark
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great experience!”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is the place I would come back to anytime I'd be diving in Bali. Friendly staff, good equipment and extensive knowledge and good language skills make this a pleasant dive whether you'd be expanding your training or just going for a recreational dive. I did wreck diving, drift diving and a fantastic trip to see the manta rays. Really nothing to complain about!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Martin P
Dear Martin,

Thanks for the Tripadvisor review.

We're glad you had such a great time diving with us and we do look forward to your next visit.

Have you booked a plane ticket to get back yet?

Safe diving!