“Read this and consider very carefully!”

Bloo Lagoon Village
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Padangbai
Hørsholm
“Read this and consider very carefully!”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

The description and nice pictures of Bloo Lagoon matched our wishes of a relaxing end station on our Far East round trip. This was our first time on Bali and we, two adults and two small children, prioritized Bloo Lagoon as our base due to the quiet surroundings and uphill location.

There was just one problem: The description and pictures lied!

“Tropical style” village:
Yes, we did notice the description as “tropical style”, but don’t get fooled about the pictures of a nice and clean place. It looks glorious but despite the gardeners are struggling to keep up with fallen leaves etc. it’s almost like a jungle. Especially our backyard; just to get to the shower was annoying as we had to pass several plants blocking the passage. Twice we saw a mouse in our bungalow, and apparently not much, if at all anything, is done to fight e.g. ant colonies. Some of the wooden piles in our bungalow were literally turned into an ant main road… Now, I know that Bloo Lagoon encourages the guests to try and live with the animals and quote: “become friends.” Perhaps a good idea to include the animal and reptile activity in your description in the future? The first night my eldest son met a cat unexpectedly on his way to the loft and got really scared as it hissed at him in the darkness. Adding the presence of the highly unwanted mouses, he needed a lot of mental support especially the first days. The cat by the way turned out to more or less reside there. I guess that makes it a house cat.

Shower:
The water for the shower is heated with gas. Well, the idea is good but it just doesn’t work. Either you get steamy hot water or cold water. There is nothing in between. So you have to make quick use of the short transition from hot to cold and vice versa.

Cleanliness:
The open environment generates “natural dirt” outside. This is part of the concept and apparently the staff tries their best to cope it. However, the enclosed bedroom was unacceptably dirty. There is no excuse; the managers should know that their guests expect a higher degree of cleanliness when considering the daily charge. Also the towels in general could need chlorine cleaning, they are not exactly inviting. After four days we requested the towels replaced as they had become rather dirty, and for some reason the housekeeping found this request rather odd but complied.

Bedrooms:
One curtain was torn. But that’s not the worst; the mosquito net was holed. It’s just unbelievable that such a thing is not fixed when considering this open environment concept. Finally the sliding doors couldn’t shut completely allowing the mosquitoes inside.

Security:
We had no idea that the bungalow was so open in the sense that practically anyone - if they really want to - can walk into your property even with all access ways shut. This made us worried about the security of our children, and either my wife or I chose to sleep on the couch in the children’s bedroom as there were no connecting doors between the two bedrooms.
Another important security issue: there are no phones. What if a guest needs to call security and his/her cell phone doesn’t support roaming or they haven’t purchased a local SIM card? Besides the GSM network is unstable. There should definitely be a phone in each bungalow, and as there is already what I suppose is Ethernet installed, why not utilize it? Besides I learned that the brochure with relevant phone numbers was outdated, so where is the help anyway when the listed names vs. phone numbers are incorrect?

Wi-Fi:
When people are holidaying there is no unified way of relaxing. I am among the group of persons who are dependent of the web for practical and social reasons even when I spend my holidays. That’s why I always book where Wi-Fi is available. But to say this straight: the internet connectivity via the two Wi-Fi routers was unacceptably bad. For sure I was far from the only frustrated guest. I can’t believe it rests with general broadband problems in Padang Bai, the weather or whichever excuse the staff came up with. If it says Wi-Fi in the description, there should be Wi-Fi. Period. This is not a cheap place to overnight, and the guests could at least expect a reliable internet connection.

Bar:
The bar area is really boring. During our stay all lightning around the bar area was switched off latest 10 pm. I used to work a couple of years in West Africa and I could find places much more fancy and cozy than the one in Bloo Lagoon. If the bar area undergoes a light upgrade and a bartender is deployed whose sole purpose is to mix drinks, keep the music running and take orders on behalf of the restaurant, I think these are simple means to create a really nice atmosphere along with the great sea view.

Restaurant:
Three out of four times the food was served min. 45 minutes after the order placement. In my optics that’s way too much, but it’s really difficult to blame the staff. I think it partly grounds with the small kitchen area. Sometimes I saw up to six people working there at the same time. A better layout would improve the performance, and so would a dish washer and a decent oven instead of this mini oven which is justified in a college room, not a restaurant.
Regarding the breakfast more bread variants and cold meat should be included like ham and also cheese and strawberry jam. And the juice shouldn’t be diluted with water. The place doesn’t serve soft drinks as they want to contribute to good health by serving juices instead. But frankly the juices we had at Bloo Lagoon were among the worst we had during our whole Bali trip. Finally the fruits should be covered with mosquito nets as the food is otherwise uninviting. My children usually eat lots of fruit but they didn’t want it here.
Finally I think the staff should all wear name badges to personalize the service. And don’t forget to get the guest signature before closing each bill (as they forgot in 80% of my bills).

Pool:
Actually the pool area was nice. One thing though: why not patch the air mattresses? They were mostly punctured which was kind of annoying. I mean, when having purchased simple air mattresses they should at least maintain them. Is it too much to ask for?

Staff:
The staff tries… It’s obvious that they want to provide a good service. They do however have no formal education. Why not invest in the staff? No question it would improve the service quality. It’s been made known to me that a tourist college exists in Amlapura. Six months’ salary plus education. It’s affordable given their tiny wage.
And in my point of view it’s a bad signal to send when the foreign owners of Bloo Lagoon are occupying a table during breakfast and dinner in front of the guests.

Flexibility:
Following the concerns about especially security, we inquired if at all possible to shorten our stay well knowing that I had “blocked” the bungalow for the pre-booked period (which itself turned out to be too long). The cold answer was that if I wanted to check out earlier than booked, then I would still have to pay for the whole booking. Well, this didn’t surprise at all, but frankly what I hoped they would say was that if somebody called Bloo Lagoon to check availability then they would bear me in mind. But no, not even the slightest flexibility – until I raised it personally at the reception desk.

Price level:
Even in the high season 200 USD/day is massively overrated for this place. I’ve stayed at numerous hotels in my lifetime, and I deem that in the region of 110-120 USD would be more reasonable. For sure we regret our choice but tried to get the best out of it. The only thing making my rating climb to two out of five is the spectacular view from our bungalow over Teluk Amuk Bay (view to Candi Dasa) and the mostly friendly staff who after all tried their best to cheer up the guests.

However ecology, sustainability, whatever… It’s just too much. No more Bloo for me ever again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
TonyGwilliam, Owner at Bloo Lagoon Village, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Let me start off with apologies for our failings and thanks for your comments. Many of your criticisms are correct and well known to us. We continue to improve but sometimes not as fast or well as we would like. We also suffer from western frustrations. It takes time to bring relevant change in this part of traditional Bali, where traditional culture is strong and educational levels are low. It takes time to understand that local values may be as valid as ours and that what we demand is not always the healthiest way for the world. It takes time and effort to really be in Bali. If you come here its worth absorbing a little of their ways, you can learn a lot. Otherwise why bother traveling if all you want is back home.
Unfortunately, you and Bloo Lagoon were not a good match. Most of our guests are happy but not all and expectations play a big part. Our pictures are factual and we have no interest in misleading anyone.
You stayed in high season when our rate is $202 for a two bedroom house and garden, that means two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living area and a kitchen. In low season that is $178, hardly expensive for a holiday destination with ocean view and taxes and breakfast included.

We use all local staff mostly from Padangbai. They have improved considerably and are continuing to gain new skills. Yes, it is a bit of an untamed jungle, we have increased the fertility and richness of the local ecosystem and now have many more plant forms, butterflies, birds and creatures some benign some not so. We are attempting to keep an ecological balance and not counteract this richness by using chemicals or poisons. It requires patience and time for a human friendly eco system to grow. Our first steps were to support the growth of a rich eco system, now we might need to cut back on some areas where it is too successful and is taking over. Our tendency is to allow natural controls and balance to evolve and not allow our impatience to force our presupposed ideas. Remember that we have a staff that has to relearn its relationship to nature. The ants have their role to play they are a natural cleaner of the environment and as you rightly point out we do little to control them although we often fantasize about anteaters. Again we tend to allow a natural rebalancing rather than resorting to poisoning.
Yes there are cats living on the property, they came with the place, all are fixed friendly and rather spoilt. Most guests find them a positive feature of the place. They play their role but as they are so overfed do not do much to keep the mice down although unfortunately do sometimes catch birds and geckos. These cats are fixed and at some stage will die out possibly to be replaced with some wild creature that too will find its place in the ecosystem. You may also have noticed monitor lizards and monkeys around your home.
Yes we use gas to heat the shower water and for cooking. As Indonesia has a plentiful supply of natural gas we decided to take this route. This could change as new technologies such as fuel cells become more developed. These instant water heaters are sensitive to changing water pressures and require regular tune ups. we apologise for our faulty system and wish that you had pointed it out to us at the time so that we could have remedied it.
The towels. Yes we are using a local laundry for our washing needs and trying to go easy on chlorine and detergents, leaning towards natural soaps. This again is not so instant; it’s very natural to want the instant gratification of modern chemical dependence. We shall keep trying to improve but it’s not an easy process to go back to the use of soapnuts straight from the tree after the instant gratification of bleach.
Security, open houses
Its true that our wifi network has recently been unstable just as we are and just as Bali is. Much of this is out of our hands, I can assure you that it is continually improving but remember that you are dealing with a people and country that has one foot in the cell phone world and one in the spirit of Rangda. We do have homeowners who manage to work globally from here and we also depend on the Internet for our connections to the planet but we are not professing to be a high powered business center and most of our guests are on holiday not at the office. When you made it clear that the Internet was vital to you during your “vacation” we tried to help you by giving you our personal password.
Remember August is a family month and our guests are of a global mix. The “boring bar”, where most of our guests, specially babies and children, have a great time playing and lying on the soft cushions. Being a very open environment we respect the wishes of most of our guests to be quiet after 10. If you want more stimulation you can go down to the town, if you want less please sit in the open bar under the stars listening to the ocean as long as you wish. We provide a 24hr free shuttle to town.

The restaurant service. Yes most meals are freshly prepared and during high season the service can be slow, but it gives you a chance to mellow and possibly get used to Bali pace and jam karet. Re: choice of cold meat cuts, cheese and strawberry jam. I think that you will have to go elsewhere for these. We are in Bali and we have to cater for a broad spectrum of international guests. To import western products is very expensive –a 500% tax on imports- so why not enjoy our local home made papaya jam and our own fresh baked, cakes, baguettes, muffins, etc. baked in our simple ovens by our local staff who are learning and doing a good job. Remember bread and cheese is not really part of their tradition. Yes, some of our staff have been to school, some are still at school, the schools are not exactly of the Harvard level, the training they get at Bloo Lagoon is pretty special for them. Ever tried “educating” a Balinese.
Yes the air mattresses were very popular, so popular in fact that they were continually needing attention because of a heavy children’s work out. We got behind in maintenance.
And what’s wrong with the management sitting with the guests, surely it’s a good way to be available to guests and to observe and get feedback rather than be unavailable in a corporate office. It might have been better if you had talked to them more and shared your skills and knowledge while you where here rather than stored up your complaints for a later bombing raid. Our guests are very important and help a great deal in our development. You too can help our staff; do your bit for the planet. We are trying.
Sincerely
Tony Gwilliam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 12, 2012

This was our first stay at an eco tourist resort. The view from our room (villa 21) was absolutely gorgeous - even the view from the loo was great! The hotel is located on the top of a very steep hill, but the shuttle bus took as up and down whenever we liked. There are lots of steps within the resort (not disabled friendly - like many Bali resorts). The room was rustic and very open to the elements, which was great in August. It may be hot in summer. There was a room that had air conditioning, but not sealed (not uncommon in Bali). The stairwell to the room downstairs was directly opposite the toilet door (poor design) - fortunately there were no mishaps. There was lots of wildlife - we saw a family of large goanas (beneath our veranda, on the cliff-face), monkeys and lots of birds. Great pool, lovely gardens and very attractive villas. Good breaky, friendly staff and good service. Spa Biroo is a must (ask for Putu). Wifi was available (but didn't work in our villa) - the lack of tv and phone in the villa was very welome! Great mosquito nets over the beds, but we didn't see/feel any mosquitos. We enjoyed our stay here...
Be careful when swimming at Bloo Lagoon beach - tide is very strong and can carry you out very quickly. Getting back to shore can be very difficult. Only strong/experienced swimmers should attempt. Suggest you take a boat out instead - but you still need to be careful on the ocean side of Bloo Lagoon beach as tide can be strong here as well.

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean views....Small villa has two sleeping areas
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Traveller204674
Utrecht
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed four nights in a villa of the Bloo Lagoon. It was the best place we stayed the whole holiday on Java and Bali! The huge villa had a beautiful panoramic view of the bay. Everything is out in the open, also the bathroom and the shower (you can close things with curtains if you want privacy). Also the swimming pool (with an exciting slide!) and the bar/breakfast was great. Also the ecologic approach is nice. I can only rave about this resort! If you go to Padangbai, stay here, it's definitely worth the money.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed July 26, 2012

It was exactly the kind of little hotel we are always looking for while travelling for holidays. Beautiful. Special. Relaxing. Far from the standard places you find all over the world. We spent 5 nights in Bloo Lagoon and we were sooooo happy to be in Padanbai, far away from the hustle and bustle of places like Benoa or Semiyak or Kuta !!! This little fishermen village has a real "cachet" (as we would say in France) and Bloo Lagoon is the perfect place to appreciate this something special you will find again in your dreams, when back home. The villas are nice, open air, breezy, beaufilly but simply decorated and comfortable. You live outside, you shower outside, you wake up in the middle of a breathtaking view on the top of your very private hill, you watch the stars... and sitting outside on your "throne" (toilets) in the fresh air is quite a special experience once you got used too (now I want the same at home). Staff is helpfull and smily. To go down to the village, you just ask for the free shuttle and you can use it whenever you want or need. So easy and convenient.
Breakfast is OK.
Pool is VERY nice and clean.
Bloo Lagoon beach needs a proper daily cleaning as all the trash is washed upon the shore (not so nice, should really be seriously improved).
But very good place to travel around for your visits of the island and, when, exhausted, you come back to your little hideaway, you feel soooo goooood.
Wonderfull place to go diving too.
Best place to stay for a few nights if you have to take a boat to Lombok or Gilli islands.
Good value for money.
Oh, one last thing : the entrance of the eco-resort should really be improved. Does not really look very good.
As a conclusion, I warmly recommend this place... and if I come back to Bali, I will stay again for a few days.

Room Tip: Depends on how many people you are. We had a 2 room villa. But all of them seam to have a good locat...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Brielle, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Our stay at Bloo Lagoon end of May was plan B. Originally the plan was to go for a week diving in Malaysia, but my wife broke her leg during skiing and was temporary confined to a weelchair. In such a situation you find out what good service, space and relaxation means.
The spacious villa's are handy to get around, beautiful designed and each with an exceptional view over the bay. The pool area is also spacious, and very good to use for people in wheelchair. It is clean no chlorine, and excellent to keep you fit. Also here great breakfasts and lunches are served.
If you want to leave this oasis of piece, the diving in the area is fabulous. You can observe white tip sharks direct in front of the bay. Also having dinner in Padangbay is a pleasure. And the Bloo lagoon shuttle will bring you there and pick you up, to bring you back to this place of luxury and fantastic atmosphere. Two remarks: not all villa's are located such that you can call the village handicapped frendly. Sometimes serving dinner is not that fast, but does this matter when the people are so helpful and the view is breathtaking?

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Family of 4 stayed at Villa 8 which looks out south east- so just catch the sunrise each morning. DId cooking class with staff which started with an early 7am visit to markets and then cook a three course meal in your own kitchen that night. Left over vegies left for us to cook with for rest of our stay. Lighting, although a little dim was able to read books. I LOVED this house and I LOVED the outdoor shower and toilets. Even though open plan the mosiquitos were not a problem. We had masquito coils that seems to keep them away. Kids loved the pool.

Local beach was a bit haselly by local jewellery sellers/massagers etc, but snorkelling was great- just walk off the beach and swim!! Walkdownto towneasy but a bit hard at night with a steep hill, however Bloo Lagoon will pick you up after dinner for free.Rooms cleaned and DISHES WASHED everyday(what a luxury!!)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Venice, California, United States
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I spent a few days in one of the hilltop bungalow's overlooking the harbor and volcano. Immediately upon arrival I knew I had found someplace special. Having spent the fist portion of my trip lodging at the more mainstream resorts in the South of Bali I found Bloo Lagoon to be a far superior island experience. It's a tasteful hybrid of more traditional Balinese accommodation and eco-awareness with just the right amount of modern amenity. The pool area shares the unforgettable view and is great atmosphere to relax use wifi and order from the menu featuring local seafood and veggies from the onsite garden. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Kudos Bloo Lagoon, I'll be back again soon!

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank 303Marcus_G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Padangbai
Candi Beach Resort & Spa
#3 of 4 in Padangbai
Alila Manggis
Alila Manggis
#1 of 8 in Manggis

Been to Bloo Lagoon Village? Share your experiences!