Horse and Groom
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Redesdale Arms Hotel(Moreton-in-Marsh)
View Hotel
The Manor House Hotel(Moreton-in-Marsh)
View Hotel
White Hart Royal Hotel(Moreton-in-Marsh)
View Hotel
Noel Arms Hotel(Chipping Campden)
  • Breakfast included
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa(Chipping Campden)
View Hotel
The Old Stocks Inn(Stow-on-the-Wold)
Stag Lodge(Stow-on-the-Wold)
Stow Lodge Hotel(Stow-on-the-Wold)
The Unicorn Hotel(Stow-on-the-Wold)
View Hotel
Sheep on Sheep Street(Stow-on-the-Wold)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe pubexcellent foodfresh milkhakeusing local produceporkdelicious mealgarden roompuddinglittle toucheslocal farmwine listcomfortable roomsbar arearoad noiseboth nightslarge bathroom
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 28, 2013

And really friendly staff. We stayed two nights over the bank holiday weekend and at booking we already found the staff really helpfull by providing us a list of good eateries in the area. The whole weekend all staff was forecoming, interesting and friendly. Both dinner and breakfast were great. Parking on site and a nice garden to enjoy a drink (and the view).

Room Tip: The rooms at the front are at the street side. It is not a busy street and when the windows are closed you hardly hear a thing, but the rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AMS020
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stopped here for an evening meal as we were stopping nearby in Moreton. Excellent meal and would eat here again when in the area. We did book and suggest to be sure of a table best to book as the place was full. The car park is rather small but if you look close some of the cars belong to staff and they have notes on them saying please block me in. So dont be put off if the car park looks full.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KevinA19
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Many previous reviewers have given the Horse and Groom five stars based on the quality of its food. I thoroughly agree the food is indeed worth five stars. So why have I marked this pub/restaurant down to three? Here's why.

Firstly, the older woman who greeted us at the bar was a complete and utter misery. I do not understand why people like this are in the hospitality industry. If you don't like working with the public, please try another job rather than reducing the quality of my life. That's a half-star mark-down.

The next half-star mark-down is for the very disappointing range of quality draught beer. There are some really good quality 'name' beers out there without having to resort to some 'Goat and Hedgehog' style cheap bitter produced by a one-man micro-brewery at the back of a garage.

I have further reduced my rating by one whole star because of something which I regard as an unforgivable sin in any pub, hotel or restaurant.

My wife ordered a small bottle of still water (which cost nearly £2 by the way). What arrived was a glass of water. Yes, a glass which had already been filled with water.

Had it been filled with water from a bottle, the seal of which had just been broken out of sight? Had it been filled with water from a bottle, the seal of which had been broken the day or week before? Had it been filled with water from a kitchen tap?

I will never know the answer to these questions, but since it might just have been tap water, I do resent paying almost £2 for it.

Don't professionals in the hospitality industry know you need to present every type of bottle to a table with its seal unbroken, in order to show to the customer they are receiving exactly what they ordered?

How complicated is this? This is basic stuff. I thought everyone in pub, hotel and restaurant businesses followed this rule.

Others may think my criticisms of this establishment are small and unreasonable. I don't, and for the above reasons I won't be going back to the Horse and Groom any time soon.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Our first thoughts when we were shown to our room at tht Horse and Groom was that we had been upgraded. The standard room was spacious and decorated in sublte neutral shades with rich velvet touches. modern and yet it was all tyhat an old coaching in should be. we were provided with a flask of fresh milk to make tea etc, so much better than the usual plastic cartons and there were homemae flapjacks which were delicious. This was just the start of a delightful weekend, the food is all locally sourced and an excellent menu which seemeb to change throughout the day as populat items were consumed added to that the service must rate with the very best we have encountered for friendliness. we shall certainly visit agai8n and again

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We have eaten at the Horse and Groom twice in the last month, which is a good average as we live an hour's drive away and reflects how worth the bother it is. The food is always excellent with lots of choice, also of wines by glass and bottle. Staff are always welcoming and very efficient. Always a treat. Must note to stay over sometime.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends