Many previous reviewers have given the Horse and Groom five stars based on the quality of its food. I thoroughly agree the food is indeed worth five stars. So why have I marked this pub/restaurant down to three? Here's why.
Firstly, the older woman who greeted us at the bar was a complete and utter misery. I do not understand why people like this are in the hospitality industry. If you don't like working with the public, please try another job rather than reducing the quality of my life. That's a half-star mark-down.
The next half-star mark-down is for the very disappointing range of quality draught beer. There are some really good quality 'name' beers out there without having to resort to some 'Goat and Hedgehog' style cheap bitter produced by a one-man micro-brewery at the back of a garage.
I have further reduced my rating by one whole star because of something which I regard as an unforgivable sin in any pub, hotel or restaurant.
My wife ordered a small bottle of still water (which cost nearly £2 by the way). What arrived was a glass of water. Yes, a glass which had already been filled with water.
Had it been filled with water from a bottle, the seal of which had just been broken out of sight? Had it been filled with water from a bottle, the seal of which had been broken the day or week before? Had it been filled with water from a kitchen tap?
I will never know the answer to these questions, but since it might just have been tap water, I do resent paying almost £2 for it.
Don't professionals in the hospitality industry know you need to present every type of bottle to a table with its seal unbroken, in order to show to the customer they are receiving exactly what they ordered?
How complicated is this? This is basic stuff. I thought everyone in pub, hotel and restaurant businesses followed this rule.
Others may think my criticisms of this establishment are small and unreasonable. I don't, and for the above reasons I won't be going back to the Horse and Groom any time soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With all the laidback charm of a true Cotswolds country pub, at the Horse and Groom we pride ourselves on our friendly service, award-winning food and drink and sumptuous B&B accommodation in individually styled bedrooms. Located in the heart of Bourton on the Hill, here you can retreat for a leisurely meal, stop by for a drink and stay over for a relaxing break. Our light and airy bar is well stocked with real ales and wines and the beautifully restored dining room, with its log fire blazing in the winter makes a welcoming setting in which to enjoy our exquisite classic British cuisine with a modern twist. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Horse and Groom reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Horse & Groom Hotel Bourton-On-The-Hill
- Horse And Groom Bourton-On-The-Hill, Cotswolds