“Excellent food and service”
Review of Horse and Groom

Horse and Groom
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: With all the laidback charm of a true Cotswolds country pub, at the Horse and Groom we pride ourselves on our friendly service, award-winning food and drink and sumptuous B&B accommodation in individually styled bedrooms. Located in the heart of Bourton on the Hill, here you can retreat for a leisurely meal, stop by for a drink and stay over for a relaxing break. Our light and airy bar is well stocked with real ales and wines and the beautifully restored dining room, with its log fire blazing in the winter makes a welcoming setting in which to enjoy our exquisite classic British cuisine with a modern twist.
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I had been told by my in-laws that this was one of the best pub restaurants in the Cotswolds. They were right. There were four of us for lunch on a Wednesday in late February. We were lucky; we only booked that morning and must have been one of the last to get a table. The place was full. Despite this we didn't feel crowded, which is so often a problem in successful restaurants. The service was efficient and friendly.The menu was just the right length - sufficient but not overwhelming choice. And the food was simply delicious, including the vegetables which are so often the Achilles heel of pub cooking. At £20 a head, including drinks, this restaurant is great value for money.

Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

Called on Sunday morning and was thrilled when the very friendly person on the phone said they could squeeze us in for Sunday lunch. We had been the day before but it was so busy we couldn't get a table.

The staff were all very friendly. Concise but varied menu, with great local and quality ingredients. All eight of us enjoyed our food, my beef was excellent.

Although they don't provide highchairs (which they make clear on their website and when booking, so absolutely fair enough) the staff were very welcoming of us and our baby.

It's not a cheap place, but the quality of food and friendly service make it worth the money. Only slight issue is their very small car park, but they are clearly aware of the problem and rating to find a solution to this.

1  Thank EmmaOLondon
Reviewed February 18, 2014

When you combine good drink with lovely food, add a bit of atmosphere and attentive staff, you get Superb.

I was amazed how the entire restaurant & bar was being handled by 4 energetic people. It was an impressive sight.

The brothers have got the formula right and it shows. I will look forward to coming back here again and again.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

In March of 2011 (TripAdvisor won't let me pick a date further than a year out), my husband and I came to the Cotswolds for our honeymoon. Having never been to the area before, we stupidly thought we could get away with not renting a car while we were there. Our taxi dropped us off at the Horse and Groom because he couldn't find the cottage we were staying at, and left us to fend for ourselves. Not knowing what to do, we went inside and asked for help.

One of the owners dropped everything and offered to drive us around to look for the cottage. We eventually found it (turned out to be right across the field). For dinner that night, we walked back to the H&G and had a fantastic meal of fish and chips, washed down with some great ales. It was so nice to sit next to the fire after a long day of traveling; perfect end to the day.

I was thinking about our honeymoon trip recently, and remembered that I had never gotten around to writing a review for the H&G! To the Horse and Groom, and especially the awesome gentleman who drove us around, thank you so much for your kindness to two young Americans on their honeymoon 3 years ago. We hope to stop in for a visit the next time we are in the area, which I hope is not too far off. Cheers!

1  Thank StilLaura
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I went here yesterday with my family for birthday celebrations and my oh my, what a place! Do not be put off by the limited menu as what they do, they do incredibly well. There were no complaints, even though we had 6 children with us, who, can occasionally, border on the fussy side. Overall, a beautiful pub, which retains much of it's features, roaring real fires and extremely friendly and knowledgeable staff. My only gripe was that I had no room for pud.