“Grumpy, grumpy grumpy!”

Horse and Groom
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: With all the laidback charm of a true Cotswolds country pub, at the Horse and Groom we pride ourselves on our friendly service, award-winning food and drink and sumptuous B&B accommodation in individually styled bedrooms. Located in the heart of Bourton on the Hill, here you can retreat for a leisurely meal, stop by for a drink and stay over for a relaxing break. Our light and airy bar is well stocked with real ales and wines and the beautifully restored dining room, with its log fire blazing in the winter makes a welcoming setting in which to enjoy our exquisite classic British cuisine with a modern twist.
England, United Kingdom
“Grumpy, grumpy grumpy!”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

we arrived at this pub shortly before clost of lunch orders. We had our Labrador with us. She wasn't allowed inside. This is the first pub we haven't been allowed to take her into. We had to sit in the garden. The views were lovely but it was a cold and windy day. My food (carrot and coconut soup and a haloumi salad), were resonably good, but the grumpy publican took down my husband's order incorrrrectly. He got a plate of salted beef salad. he'd ordered a Sweet pepper salad. he was too cold and too hungry to send it back, anyway,t here was the grumpy publican to deal with! The beef was flavourless. he regrets not complaining. We will NEVER go back. This publican who was so unwelcoming in all instances needs to learn how to treat customers with respect. And get an hearing aid!

1 Thank Aussiewriter

• Greek first
Brighton, United Kingdom
“More than just pub grub”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My wife, sister, brother-in-law and myself had the opportunity to get out without kids, and booked into the Horse and Groom.
This was my second visit to this pub, and I'd been impressed with the quality of the food the first time around, so was looking forward to a return trip.
We had a fairly late booking, so decided to turn up early and get a beer beforehand. It's a Cask Marque pub, and the bitter I had was excellent.
We pretty much decided we weren't hungry enough for 3 course and went for the main/desert option rather than starters and mains.
I had a rolled pork belly with dauphinoise potatoes and veg, which was absolutely delicious, one of the moistest and most succulent pork dishes I've ever had. There appeared to be no complaints from my family, who split between fish and the bunless burger, and all thoroughly enjoyed it.
I had what was described as an apple and rhubarb flapjack crumble. Basically the crumble mix had oats added in, but had more of the consistency of a normal crumble. It was utterly divine, and I'm going to have to try and figure out how to make it myself at home!
Special mention needs to be made of the staff, who were remarkably friendly and out-going, and put an additional shine on the visit.
I'd have to say, if you're in the area looking for some seriously good quality food, it's worth booking a table here.

London, United Kingdom
“A must for foodies visiting the area!”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We can't speak highly enough of this pub. We turned up early evening, without booking, and were put on the waiting list for a table, but luckily we didn't have to wait long.

The menu is up on a blackboard in the bar area and changes regularly throughout the evening, depending on what has been ordered. The pub sources excellent, and often rare-breed, meats locally and so the changing menu reflects what cuts are available next.

Our meals were absolutely delicious and my husband said the rare-breed steak he had was the best he's had in 10 years... no mean feat for a prolific steak lover!! My duck was also mouth-watering, beautifully pink with delicious crispy skin.

Would recommend booking to avoid being disappointed.

• Visited May 2013
“Fabulous, friendly, delicious, or favorite place to eat”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

There is nothing negative to say about this pub / restaurant. The staff are so friendly and attentive, nothing is too much trouble. The menu always has something to appeal to all tastes with interesting and creative local produce, and the dishes are delicious. We have to make a 25 minute drive to reach the Horse and Groom, but would happily travel further. Thanking for looking after us.

Worcester, United Kingdom
“Great Dining Experience”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Visited yesterday lunchtime with friends from Cheshire. I'll be brief and to the point. A really warm welcome from the moment we stepped through the door, excellent food and service plus polite, very friendly and efficient staff. This was a Wednesday lunchtime and the place was full. To avoid disappointment, pre book.

• Visited May 2013