“Rude wait staff and weirdly sweet food”

Smith and Daughters
Ranked #15 of 289 Restaurants in Fitzroy
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Fitzroy
“Rude wait staff and weirdly sweet food”
Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

I came here a few weeks ago for a dinner with both friends and friends of friends. When I arrived I waited at the entrance point to be served, however a man who was older came in after me and then was addressed before me. As I had been there first I thought this was rude, however I waited anyway. After the man had been given a place at the bar, the waiter then ignored me and went for a walk. I had to approach a staff member to be told where our table was.

Apart from that, the atmosphere is nice and busy, although there's not a whole lot of space so people are constantly shuffling to let people get to the bathrooms.

This is a VEGAN restaurant, however the menu says they serve tuna and chorizo (vegan). We ordered a platter that was made up by our waitress - a girl with pink hair who was lovely and such a delight. However all the food was weirdly sweet including the tuna croquets and other "meat" dishes. We didn't enjoy the meal and ended up leaving much of the food on the table when we left. Also the food here is EXPENSIVE!

2 Thank Tanya B

London
“Best vegan food I've ever had”
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

What a great place! Lovely staff, great space, and the best food. I was a little unnerved by seeing tuna and chorizo on the menu, but our waitress reassured us that all ingredients are plant based, but flavours combine to suggest these foods. You can choose from the menu or let your waiter choose for you, so we opted for the mystery tour and it was just fantastic. Had a chili and coriander margarita or two - they're perfect too!

Perth, Australia
“The Best”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I really love this restaurant. The food is really good and the beer. The staff are so nice and do an awesome job of looking after ya and the food looks good and man it tastes good. Also what is really awesome is that they play great music and the price is totally fair. I plan at eating here all the time.

Brisbane
“You won't believe it's Vegan”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We started with the corn chips and (cashew) cheese sauce, I was so impressed with the sauce I had to order a main meal with it as well. It was that good. We had a group of 5 and we each ordered something different and shared it around - even the most hardened meat eaters of the group were blown away by the "not meat" dishes. If you're planning a visit on a weekend, make sure you book in advance - we were lucky to get a table in the early evening.

Melbourne, Australia
“Could easily convert”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I'm not a vegetarian but could easily be converted if I could make these meals at home. I visited on a week might for a late dinner with a friend. We booked online and sat at a communal table. We ordered five small plates to share with the help of the wonderful waitress. The staff here are extremely friendly and professional. We had pulled pork tapas, mince tapas and mushroom and corn tapas. Also liver pate, fish croquettes, mushroom in a yummy sauce and chorizo. All the dishes were amazing and yes this is a vegetarian restaurant. Just a reminder. We accompanied the dishes with a marvellous Pinot. The decor is very trendy. Location is on the city side of Brunswick Street making parking a little easier. Hint: have a look at all the quirky salt n pepper shakers. As we were the last to leave the waitress brought them to us. Nearly forgot - desserts and coffees were first class. Torte and ice cream. Yummmm. What are you waiting for, make a booking!

1 Thank CCK01