Quest Royal Gardens
  • Breakfast included
Ovolo Laneways(Melbourne)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgreat locationmelbourne museumwalking distanceno liftexhibition buildingbbq areaapartment was cleanthird floorbrunswick stst vincentswill stay there againon site parkingfull kitchenquiet locationlygon streettop floorbit dated
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We booked this apartment because we had had a good experience there several years ago. The apartments have now become very shabby and the standards have dropped. As soon as we entered our apartment we noticed the heavily stained carpet. There were drips of some substance from the kitchen around the dining table. I had to fuss two days running to get this cleaned. The bottom sheet on the main bed had dirty marks on it, and there was no hand towel in the downstairs toilet. The showers were both old and had considerable mould. What really upset us was to get a call the same day as we returned home asking us what we had done with the saucepans. We had neither seen or looked for pans. We had eaten out mostly. We also have a nice set of pans of our own at home.
Beryl B

Room Tip: If you are an older person choose a ground floor apartment because there are no lifts.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights for convention and work at the Plenary Hall. Room and transport was provided so I can't really comment much on the two, but when I checked the website- for AUD189, two bedroom apartment with a kitchen, I don't think there's much to say.

The check-in area was quite small, and once checked-in - with some simple directions we had to look for our apartment block. We had the room on the second floor and had to lug our bags up, I dread to think what would happen if there were old people carrying their luggage up the stairs. The good thing is that the main door is locked at night and only with the key you could access the block. The area is quite quiet at night so that is reassuring.

The apartment was decent, clean, spacious, beds were okay, toilet was fine with the basic amenities, though I thought the doors were not very sound proof. The staircase were creaking too! Sofa's looked like they needed new upholstery. Had the balcony facing the pool, just has enough space to soak up the morning sun, that's about it. The balconies are also close to each other so if your neighbor is outside, there's no privacy. The pool looked kind of sad. Saw a few people using the pool area, but it didn't look enticing to me.

The location was slightly obscure with small cafes in the surrounding block. There were convenience shops which you can buy snacks and drinks to bring back. What I thought that was slightly inconvenient is that when you get back from work there's no in-house or proper restaurant nearby to dine (During the stay I did not get the chance to use the kitchen at all).

Check-out was a breeze. On the overall, based on my opinion, I think this would be a great place to stay if I were a local, had a vehicle (there was lots of parking space), and was traveling as a family (the kitchen would really help). This review was based on my trip and purpose in Melbourne so there might be a flip side to it if conditions were different. I am pretty sure the other would be more appreciative of the location and have better reviews.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 26, 2012

This is my second stay at Quest Royal Gardens and although aging it was clean and a great place to stay if you are going to an exhibiton at the Carlton Gardens. Can be a little hard to find but with a GPS you get there. The kitchen had all I needed to prepare meals for our three night stay. The apartments were clean and tidy and quite comfortable. I agree the toilet roll holder sticks out a bit far especially if you are slightly plumper than some. Otherwise very comfortable, quiet and we had good night's sleep. Gardens kept it wonderful condition and it is lovely to look out onto them. Do agree if you are not agile do request a ground floor apartment as the stairs are steep. Would definately stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony if possible even if you do not smoke. It gives you a little extra room and a door to open onto the gardens.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jan c
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We have stayed at this property several times principally because of its location. Super close to the Melbourne Museum and only a short tram ride from the CBD. Our top floor apartment was a challenge with a heavy suitcase but on the up-side was nice and quiet. As mentioned by other reviewers the apartments are looking a little past its best although the gardens are still well cared for and the pool is well maintained. We found the staff were eager to help and a couple of housekeeping issues with the apartment were dealt with quickly and without any fuss. All in all this Quest is still good value for money and I would recommend - just be aware for the less agile amongst you that there are no lifts so make sure you request a ground floor apartment.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This place has plenty of parking and is very close to public transport on the "right" side of melbourne where everything good happens! Nice family living room area for everybody to mingle and a great kitchen with everything you would want for a few nights. The rooms are decent, and the main bathroom even had a washing machine, not that we used it. Nice to stand out on the balcony to look over the swimming pool and wish i still smoked, those were the days. Great place, great city, we were very happy with this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family