“No frills, just what you need”
Review of The Nunnery

The Nunnery
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Be it a day or a month....
No frills, just what you need
15min walk to the city OR 5min Tram ride with a stop out front
((BIG THUMBS UP))
Young vibe in a beautiful old building, LOVED EVERY MINUTE
will visit again

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 27, 2014

This is the most charming hostel I've ever stayed at - I felt completely at home from the second I arrived. Great furniture and history to the building, the common area is always buzzing and staff were really helpful. Even though she was really busy one night, the woman at the desk took the time to print out my tickets to a concert (when I was frantic and running late, no less!)

The tram was blocked by roadworks so I had to walk into the City - but that was no problem at all. It's a nice walk past the park and just a few minutes walk into the very cool Brunswick Street.

Other reviews say the kitchen was cramped, but (except for breakfast, when there was plenty of space to make my toast and cereal) I didn't have much need to cook because there are so many cheap bars and restaurants nearby to try. I stayed in a 3-4 bed dorm which was cosy and right next to a bathroom.

I didn't have time to take advantage of the free soup, pub crawl or BBQ nights - but I imagine they would have been the icing on the cake.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank rosannaxmarie
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

This place is lovely :) we were meant to be in a 8 bed but got put in a 6 and it was a big room (we paid the extra costs), 3 beds in one part and 3 bed in an other! We had a tv and the beds were comfy :) we did eat in the room as it was raining and there wasn't any where to sit because the kitchen was SO SMALL for the size of the hostel. We only cooked beans on toast in it because it was so small and was always so busy! They had a lot of free meals tho, we never got in in time but it always looked good! The wifi was okay, you couldn't get in the rooms though and you have to pay for it, like most hostels in Melbourne. The bathrooms were clean. They have a big tv room too where you can watch films or chill on your laptop.

We did have a little mouse in our room, and even though reception was open from 8am-1am when we went to tell them no one was there.... The same when we were checking in, we waited around for a good 20 minutes luckily one of the guests let us inside. The mouse didn't bother us that much, it's our fault for eating cheese and biscuits in the room!

Lovely stay, would recommend!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Quite a nice building. The facilities would be ok IF there weren't so many people trying to use them. I don't think I have ever stayed in a hostel where you can hardly move for people. The kitchen is FAR to small for the number of people, picture trying to cook in a crowded bar! As a result it gets messy pretty quickly. To solve this, the kitchen closes several times a day for cleaning, including at about lunch time! Inconvenient!

The living room seemed to be always full of long stayers so wasn't a very inviting space. There is a courtyard but this was again on the small side, especially on the BBQ night. Fair enough I did enjoy the BBQ. When it rains, everyone huddles inside, and just stands around the corridors and on the stairs. It was actually a challenge to get up the stairs to my room one night.

C'mon Nunnery, sort it out! Turn one of the downstairs dorms into another kitchen and/or social room. But of course they won't, less beds = less $$$.

Also, the WIFI is awful! Especially annoying as you have to pay extra for it. Some of the time it was ok but at peak times it wouldn't even open tripadvisor, so I had to wait until I got to my next stop to leave this annoyed review!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Matt M
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I stayed one night.The place is in a nice old building with a lot of character, massive wooden staircases, nice stained windows and huge mirrors. There is vintage furniture a bit everywhere which makes it more original than other places.

This said, the 4 bed dorm was ok, ok size and ok beds but no reading light and tiny lockers. The bathrooms though were very old and not maintained. Old tooth brushes and razors hanging around, as if the staff would never clean. The lid of the rubbish bin looked like it had never been washed, covered in all sorts of crap (and that was in all the bathrooms). Unexpected cold shower in the morning, with a tiny bit of water. The toilets date from the 50's, you don't want to sit on it. But what bothered me most is that for a whole floor with maybe 40 people, there was only 3 showers and 2 toilets!! and don't even look for separate men/women, it's common for both. Then the kitchen is small and not clean either. Breakfast is nice though with scones or bread and cornflakes.
I would suggest the owner has a look at the bathrooms, why would they even have a bath tub????? who would want to have a bath there?? better kicking it out and putting 2 more showers instead!!
And to finsih it all, the staff were super bored and it seemed that any request (opening the storage room to get my bag) would annoy them a lot. There is no free wifi, like everywhere in Australia it seems. Ever been to Asia???

Good location 5 min from Brunswick street.

ps: it was St Patrick's day and nothing was organised by the hostel

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Very friendly staff, great social BBQ on the Friday night.

Great social areas inside and outside.

Fabulous location.

Still the best in all the land, well done to everyone at the Nunnery !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Stayed here on a Thursday and the following Sunday with a friend. Two friends were meeting us on the Friday and Saturday so we just got an apartment those nights.

Very unique place! In an old Victorian nunnery (I assume!) and they've kept the period features and atmosphere and made it into their selling point I guess.

Hostel staff were typically laid back, which can be either good or bad depending on how the handle things. In this case they were pretty great most of the time. Friendly, chatty, not being falsely nice because they had to be, and sorted out pretty quickly and trouble free. They made a mistake with our booking on the Sunday and the guy (who remembered us from a few days before) gave us a beautiful private room and dealt with it pretty well.

The dorm room on Thursday was fine. Not that big, but clean. It's a hostel so it met our expectations considering price paid. Our room was shared by a most strange charactaaa who went by the name of Mary. Unbeknownst to her she become quite the comedic prop throughout our Australia trip. We even left her our calling card, a toblerone bar, on her pillow as a goodbye gift. Upon checking in again on Sunday we were mildly horrified not be reunited with our beloved Mary, and receive feedback on the toblerone, however the double room in the annex building was really beautiful and more befitting of a hotel. Very Huntington-Dubois. If you can, try and get a room in the annex building. It's nicer, quieter and has a real period feel to it.

The breakfast offered was also good! A lovely selection of breads along with preserves etc. Again the annex was better for breakfast as less people and more room to get at things.

Location also very good! Across from the museum in Carlton Gardens and walking distance to Brunswick Street for the quality bars and restaurants!

Would stay again definitely.

Room Tip: Stay in the annex building if you can. Double rooms for couples in the annex are amazing, but more e...