The Nunnery
Melbourne Metropole Central(Fitzroy)(Great Value!)
$112
$106
Quest Royal Gardens(Fitzroy)(Great Value!)
$123
$115
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Tyrian Serviced Apartments Fitzroy(Fitzroy)(Great Value!)
$161
Agoda.com
$105
$88
  • Restaurant
Lygon Lodge Carlton(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$100
$95
Quest Carlton on Finlay(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$131
$120
Travelocity
$97
Hotels.com
Rydges on Swanston Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$161
$110
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfree breakfastpancakesthe kitchenbed dormpub crawlbrunswick streetgreat locationmain buildingmovie nightprivate roommelbourne museumsunday morningbathroom facilitieslovely buildingcomfy couchesbread rollsold victorian
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Stayed here on a Thursday and the following Sunday with a friend. Two friends were meeting us on the Friday and Saturday so we just got an apartment those nights.

Very unique place! In an old Victorian nunnery (I assume!) and they've kept the period features and atmosphere and made it into their selling point I guess.

Hostel staff were typically laid back, which can be either good or bad depending on how the handle things. In this case they were pretty great most of the time. Friendly, chatty, not being falsely nice because they had to be, and sorted out pretty quickly and trouble free. They made a mistake with our booking on the Sunday and the guy (who remembered us from a few days before) gave us a beautiful private room and dealt with it pretty well.

The dorm room on Thursday was fine. Not that big, but clean. It's a hostel so it met our expectations considering price paid. Our room was shared by a most strange charactaaa who went by the name of Mary. Unbeknownst to her she become quite the comedic prop throughout our Australia trip. We even left her our calling card, a toblerone bar, on her pillow as a goodbye gift. Upon checking in again on Sunday we were mildly horrified not be reunited with our beloved Mary, and receive feedback on the toblerone, however the double room in the annex building was really beautiful and more befitting of a hotel. Very Huntington-Dubois. If you can, try and get a room in the annex building. It's nicer, quieter and has a real period feel to it.

The breakfast offered was also good! A lovely selection of breads along with preserves etc. Again the annex was better for breakfast as less people and more room to get at things.

Location also very good! Across from the museum in Carlton Gardens and walking distance to Brunswick Street for the quality bars and restaurants!

Would stay again definitely.

Room Tip: Stay in the annex building if you can. Double rooms for couples in the annex are amazing, but more expensive than dorms obviously.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Brett G
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights at the beginning of March, and judging by the amount of positive reviews I was pretty excited. However from arriving the girls at reception appeared to be uninterested and not enthusiastic at all. It would have been nice to be greeted with a smile and to be informed on some of the overall facilities of the hostel. I received my door key and pointed into the direction of my room. The time was just after 1 in the afternoon so there is no excuse for them to be fatigued or lazy.
The layout of the room I really liked it was a 6 bed but split into two (3 beds in each). The only downside was that it was next to the bathroom so all through the night you could hear people coming in and out. Not great if you are a light sleeper.
The hostel offers a free breakfast which is always a plus ... You'd think! I have stayed in numerous hostels some with or without free breakfast. The ones with wipes the floor with this awful selection of cornflakes or stale bread! Maybe my complaining of the free breakfast is a little bias as the worst part of this hostel is the kitchen!
Considering this hostel has so many rooms and even guest houses etc. The kitchen is the smallest I've ever seen to accommodate such a big hostel. It is the most pathetic thing I have ever witnessed. The fact they are able to stay operating with the capacity of people is honestly shocking to me. Surely it has to be a health and safety issue. At the end of the day I am a backpacker I am not expecting the Ritz but I am expecting to be able to get in a kitchen and cook my food. Not to be pushed and shoved out of the way by 20 people all trying to use the same facilities. It really ruined my stay once and all, I am here in Melbourne for quite a length of time but I shall not be returning here!
Also if you want to meet People from England this hostel is for you! I am from England myself and I travelled here to meet different people from all walks of life, it's like staying in a Butlins.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Lovely hostel- defiantly worth a stay. The staff are friendly and knowledgeable on the local area and always about to help. Dorm rooms,bathrooms and the kitchen are clean and the common areas are spacious and good areas to socialise. Would defiantly recommend to any backpackers visiting Melbourne.

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed March 4, 2014

stayed her for 4 days and really enjoyed it. Moved from St Kilda which was pretty lame... Looked like it might have been alright 30 years ago but not any more.
The Nunnery has a great atmosphere, lots of character and really helpful staff. It was also very clean & quiet. Beds are comfy. The only negative was the people who took up the communal tv area to sit anti socially on their laptops so you can't actually sit down to watch anything... My advice to the Nuns is ban that kind of behaviour by threat of no free breakfast :) the breakfast by the way was very good a drastic change to most hostels excuse of a free breakfast.
I would recommend this as the only hostel to stay at in Melbourne and I would certainly go back.
Outside the hostel is a park and a tram stop that will get you to the cbd if you are too lazy to walk or St Kilda if you like crap beaches. It's also really close to all the good cafes and nice restaurants... Go get a hot dog from phatt brats!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank cheekyboy18
Reviewed February 16, 2014

The nunnery is a quirky, well located hostel near to the fashionable and funky Brunswick street in Fitzroy. It's full of great features such as stained glass windows, there's real carpets on the floors and big staircases. My bed was comfy, although our room could have done with a bit more ventilation. The downsides to the nunnery are that you need to pay for internet (which is only in one room in the main house) and that there are not that many bathrooms. The free breakfasts were great though- really good quality bread. My other small gripe that they recommend you take the starbus to the hostel... that only runs til 6pm though which they dont tell you, and otherwise you need to take the main transfer bus and then get one or two trams to the hostel (which can be a bit of a drag with a large bag).

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo