“If I ever visit Melbourne again, this would be my first stop!”
Review of The Nunnery

The Nunnery
“If I ever visit Melbourne again, this would be my first stop!”
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Greeted by welcoming front desk staff! The bunks were comfy and spacious. Had a free BBQ the night I arrived, which made it super easy to meet people! Great location, just minutes from plenty of rooftop bars, which are quite fun even in winter! Washrooms were clean, shower pressure wasn't great, but no place is perfect! Really enjoyed the spacious tv room. Really charming building full of friendly people !

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stayed at the nunnery for 4 nights total. In spite of the very cold Melbourne weather, the common room and kitchen were always warm, to match the friendly nature of all of the staff.
There are activities designed to get guests socialising several nights of the week. Don't miss the Thursday night pub crawl - I turned up knowing no-one and by the end of it had shopping/sightseeing plans with a few other travellers! Friday night was a sausage sizzle (vegetarians catered for) and Wednesday is soup night.
I don't know if it was the time of year, but it seemed a lot of people were longer term guests, which seemed to translate to quieter weeknights and less quiet weekends. While I was there, it seemed to be a really nice mix of guests and everyone was friendly and inclusive. I can't recommend this place enough.

In my experience, though the kitchen was small, the entire hostel was clean and functional.

And did I mention that one of the shared bathrooms has a bath?

Room Tip: The rooms in the main entryway corridor get a bit of traffic noise from people coming and going.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We had originally booked into a dorm room, but due to over booking were moved into a private twin - great news! Staff on reception were incredibly helpful and gave brilliant advice on how to spend our time in Melbourne, as well as providing a map and highlighting routes etc. They even printed off our tickets for the Grand Prix.

The room had a fan and a t.v. which was good as we were staying during the heatwave. The bread provided for breakfast in the morning is fresh and delicious. Kitchen was clean and there seemed to be staff constantly insuring communal spaces were tidy.

Wifi doesn't work in all the rooms so communal spaces do get busy, good wifi strength despite many people using it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I dont know why it is number 1 in hostels is the worst one everything exept the people that worst there really friendly but the room was disgusting the sheets were dirty the toilets never had toilet paper and look like they never clean it my stay was march 22 went with some friends and my sister they chargr me one more night and I nitice later I could solve this cuz there was a girl that pay me cash in hand for that stay solved but the worst thing i went there before my graduation from uni and there was bed bugs in the bed!!!!! OMG the worst experience cant stoo scratching was like huge pimples I cannot control myself had to scratch every second and went to my graduation with those like pimples all over my body and neck for almost a month DO NOT STAY IN HERE EVER AGAIN!!!!

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank viannymm
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 21, 2013

First of all, the hostel lobby has a sign that says "Australia's #1 Hostel" -- I don't know off of what statistics they base this, but the location and the quaint historical building are the only two positive things about this hostel that I can name.

Upon checking in, the person on duty assigned me a bunk to someone that was already sleeping there. Because no one actually made up the beds, he assumed it was just "messy" from the person behind-- but it was still reserved for a guest who came in confused an hour later, wondering why his stuff was no longer there. So that was the first mix-up/mess-up.

The room had a broken ceiling fan that barely worked, so in addition to the sweltering heat, we were subjected to a squeaky noise all night. The bunks were disgusting, the guy below me literally had his whole bed covered in rubbish, it looked and smelled like a college freshman's dorm room.

The bathrooms smelled like urine and body odor and the shower I used had no hot water at all.

The kitchen is too small for the amount of guests this accommodation hosts, it's crowded, and hot.

We were booked for two nights but checkout yet- lost the money but we didn't even care because we couldn't bear it anymore. We checked into the Greenhouse in the CBD.

I've had my share of drunk backpacking nightmares, but the hipsters in this joint were just vile and unfriendly, and the management had no clue what they were doing.

The location is great, but I'd recommend staying somewhere else and just tram/bus-ing to the neighborhood if you're interested in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lisssssss4
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed June 5, 2013

There wasn't any room left in the hostel so they gave us a room in the guest house. It was very nice, clean, warm.
We had an impollute kitchen and there were 3 bathroom. there was a little back terrace to have a nice beer outside.
If I come back to Melbourne definitively!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mar N
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 27, 2013

The hostel in beautiful and very well located with walking distance from the city center but also just around the corner from brunswick street - a very vibrant and exciting street for you people. The hostel was very clean, the staff always friendly and helpful. The kitchen is a bit small but it made getting to know each other easier :) there was a cool mix of short term and long term guests and everybody got along very well.
The kitchen was cleaned three times a day and therefor very well equipped and clean and also the bathrooms were pretty clean compared to other hostels. If something wasn't clean, than it was due to the guests being pigs sometimes...I saw the receptions guys picking up cups and plates from the living room and other spots many times. They also cleaned them in the kitchen themselves. So I always felt like the staff was doing their very best.
The hostel might seem a bit more expensive than others - but Melbourne generally is a bit more expensive and it is absolutely worth it paying a bit more.
One downside are the beds in some rooms. The are not very stabile and move a lot when one of the people in it turn. I slept on top and felt a bit seasick for the first few days - but nothing you can't get used to :)

All in all - by far the best spot in Melbs. And all the fellow travelers I met there agreed with me!

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms at the front of the building. There is a tram that goes by and it is very very loud...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank amy o
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fitzroy
The Hotel Windsor
#1 of 6 in Fitzroy
The Greenhouse Backpacker
The Greenhouse Backpacker
#33 of 136 in Melbourne

Been to The Nunnery? Share your experiences!