“Terrible will never stay again bed bugs!!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Nunnery

The Nunnery
“Terrible will never stay again bed bugs!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

I dont know why it is number 1 in hostels is the worst one everything exept the people that worst there really friendly but the room was disgusting the sheets were dirty the toilets never had toilet paper and look like they never clean it my stay was march 22 went with some friends and my sister they chargr me one more night and I nitice later I could solve this cuz there was a girl that pay me cash in hand for that stay solved but the worst thing i went there before my graduation from uni and there was bed bugs in the bed!!!!! OMG the worst experience cant stoo scratching was like huge pimples I cannot control myself had to scratch every second and went to my graduation with those like pimples all over my body and neck for almost a month DO NOT STAY IN HERE EVER AGAIN!!!!

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank viannymm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

First of all, the hostel lobby has a sign that says "Australia's #1 Hostel" -- I don't know off of what statistics they base this, but the location and the quaint historical building are the only two positive things about this hostel that I can name.

Upon checking in, the person on duty assigned me a bunk to someone that was already sleeping there. Because no one actually made up the beds, he assumed it was just "messy" from the person behind-- but it was still reserved for a guest who came in confused an hour later, wondering why his stuff was no longer there. So that was the first mix-up/mess-up.

The room had a broken ceiling fan that barely worked, so in addition to the sweltering heat, we were subjected to a squeaky noise all night. The bunks were disgusting, the guy below me literally had his whole bed covered in rubbish, it looked and smelled like a college freshman's dorm room.

The bathrooms smelled like urine and body odor and the shower I used had no hot water at all.

The kitchen is too small for the amount of guests this accommodation hosts, it's crowded, and hot.

We were booked for two nights but checkout yet- lost the money but we didn't even care because we couldn't bear it anymore. We checked into the Greenhouse in the CBD.

I've had my share of drunk backpacking nightmares, but the hipsters in this joint were just vile and unfriendly, and the management had no clue what they were doing.

The location is great, but I'd recommend staying somewhere else and just tram/bus-ing to the neighborhood if you're interested in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Lisssssss4
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

There wasn't any room left in the hostel so they gave us a room in the guest house. It was very nice, clean, warm.
We had an impollute kitchen and there were 3 bathroom. there was a little back terrace to have a nice beer outside.
If I come back to Melbourne definitively!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mar N
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

The hostel in beautiful and very well located with walking distance from the city center but also just around the corner from brunswick street - a very vibrant and exciting street for you people. The hostel was very clean, the staff always friendly and helpful. The kitchen is a bit small but it made getting to know each other easier :) there was a cool mix of short term and long term guests and everybody got along very well.
The kitchen was cleaned three times a day and therefor very well equipped and clean and also the bathrooms were pretty clean compared to other hostels. If something wasn't clean, than it was due to the guests being pigs sometimes...I saw the receptions guys picking up cups and plates from the living room and other spots many times. They also cleaned them in the kitchen themselves. So I always felt like the staff was doing their very best.
The hostel might seem a bit more expensive than others - but Melbourne generally is a bit more expensive and it is absolutely worth it paying a bit more.
One downside are the beds in some rooms. The are not very stabile and move a lot when one of the people in it turn. I slept on top and felt a bit seasick for the first few days - but nothing you can't get used to :)

All in all - by far the best spot in Melbs. And all the fellow travelers I met there agreed with me!

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms at the front of the building. There is a tram that goes by and it is very very loud...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank amy o
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

I really liked The Nunnery - it was a beautiful old building in an awesome location in the trendy and popular Fitzroy area. Really close to all the shops, restaurants and bars on Brunswick Street.

Stayed in a big dorm for one night - it was fine, nothing out of the ordinary to report about it. Bathrooms were a bit random - had to go searching for random shower rooms/toilets dotted around on the first floor....

Free pancake breakfast was yummy although we only got 1 pancake each and had to queue up forever to get it. Nice quirky rooms and nice rooftop bit upstairs to sit out in the sun.Short walk to trams to get into the city etc.

Great atmosphere to the place and would definitely go back here!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay here, so much so, that when I moved to another hostel, I returned to visit as I missed it (and some people!) It is very friendly and accommodating staff. I arrived horrifically tired ( I couldn't remember my PIN for my credit card!) so the guy at the desk whisked thru the check in process for me, as he could see I couldn't function properly haha and let me have the key to my room where I got a well needed sleep. He'd actually let me check in early actually, which was lucky and very kind. I chose a 4 bed dorm which I felt was pleasant; I was lucky to get a single bed over a bunk which was nice and it was really comfy.

I really liked the location. It's about 10 minute walk down to the local supermarket and the heart of Fitzroy- a really edgy and cool district of Melbourne, full of cool bars and small restaurants at night and plentiful coffee shops, lovely boutique shops, vintage stores and other things in the day. It's a 10 minute walk in the other direction to where you can pick up the free city circle tram. There's a lovely park and the Melbourne Museum opposite the hostel, and it is a safe area.

My only criticism is that the kitchen is ridiculously small and felt I had to plan my eating times, as if there were more than 5 people in the kitchen, you could not do anything. I wasn't that impressed with the breakfast supplied either, just bread rolls and cornflakes, so I avoided the breakfast times as it was impossible to get in the kitchen anyway and not that great. I would recommend eating out anyway as groceries in Australia can be more expensive than eating out, especially if you are cooking for one!

But I would still return here on my next trip to Melbourne, as I really liked the atmosphere, location, and staff.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the Guesthouse part of the Nunnery for 5 nights. It was cheaper than any central hotel we could find & provided a good breakfast service. The rooms were clean, warm & had nice character features. Upstairs rooms seemed to have access to more bathrooms. I had no problems with the kitchen as other people had commented on. Way better than a hostel and you really couldn't beat the location. Would recommend happily.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fitzroy
Parkville
United Backpackers Melbourne
#5 of 126 in Melbourne
Home at The Mansion
#44 of 126 in Melbourne

Been to The Nunnery? Share your experiences!