“Oasis of great food”

Cuisines: American, Asian, Contemporary
Neighborhood: Fitzroy
Neighborhood: Fitzroy
Reviewed February 2, 2013

As an out-of-towner I was suitably impressed by the comprehensive & exciting menu. It was tantalising to think that, as a vegetarian, I could eat anything on the menu without looking twice for additions such as oyster sauce. The food was deliciously fresh & tasted fab. We did have to wait for a table but it was less time than the estimate & the service was prompt & pleasant. I'm already planning my next trip to Melbourne & thinking mouth wateringly of what I'll try this time..

1  Thank tropicaltraveller9
There are newer reviews for Yong Green Food

Reviewed January 28, 2013

My wife and I had been meaning to go here for a long time, and finally did and were really pleasantly surprised.
Its a vegetarian restaurant with choices that are far from the norm in any vegetarian restaurant I've been to before.
The food is Asian generally, and more specifically Korean-influenced, but not throughout. The dishes we had were flavour-packed with some really interesting accompaniments. The service was really friendly, and though busy, the place had a calm feel about it. The price was also very reasonable. I definitely wish TripAdvisor had a 4.5 rating for this restaurant, as I would have given it 4.5.

2  Thank JoandAb
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Interesting take on veggie fare. Mainly raw and vegan I think. It's always been very tasty any time we've been. Staff are friendly and it's good value overall - would recommend

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Melbourne is known as the vegan hub of Australia. It's where you go if you want to eat plant-based, as any celebrity vego will tell you (they know the best places to eat). One of these reasons would have to be Yong Green Food.
This place hasn't been around for years and years like the well-established competition of The Vegie Bar and Shakahari, but what it lacks in history it makes up for in everything else.
With a macrobiotic menu, Yong's provides fresh, healthy and delicious meals from a great range of juices, smoothies, detox shots (I love the acai), coffees, teas and so on, to the wide range of entrees and mains…and even DESSERTS! Yes, VEGAN desserts! They also have a great raw menu that would tantalise any meat eater, let alone a non-raw vegan.
Everyone always gets the rawsagne, but don't just go with the crowd—the nori rolls are fantastic and my favourite is the Macro Platter or the Macro Dragon Bowl. If you like your 'mock' (I hate using that term, because it's not fake food, it's simply wheat meat) meats, then the tuna wrap is a standout—but it's too much like the real thing for me. I love the satay sauce though.
The flavours and clean and fresh and you always walk out feeling healthier or something…or it could be the spirulina detox shot I tend to get.
The staff are always friendly and trendy. I love how one of the waiters wears thick rimmed glasses, but no glass in the frames. LOL. So typical of the area. But everyone is friendly, the ladies behind the counter are always working busily but smile and greet you as you walk in.
They recently renovated and have built a new room where you can sit by the open window on comfy bench seats.
When you are there, check out the cool decor. They recycle old bits and pieces like old light fixtures, gates and other furniture to give the place a bit of an eclectic, but authentic feel. A true statement on their stance with sustainability.
You never wait for a long time for your meals, no matter how busy they get (and on Friday nights, they are busy). The only issue is that you can't book a table, but they take your number and by the time you walk down the street a bit they give you a call and you get seated straight away. The whole place is clean, and neat, with a bit of a funky but not 'try hard' feel about it. I love it and always go in for a casual lunch when I'm in town. Or sometimes, I drive the hour it takes to get there, just because I really want to eat there. It's worth it.
As a vegan, it is so nice to sit in a restaurant knowing I can eat everything on the menu—even if something isn't vegan specifically, they can make it vegan for you. That in itself is pretty fantastic and a rare treat with a good place to eat.
Hopefully, one of these days some of the 'fancy' chefs about town, and from other states and cities, will take note of places like Yong's. It takes talent, skill and passion to create a totally plant-based meal that is tasty, interesting and creative. For some reason 'top-notch' chefs think its below them, but I personally think it's the other way around. If you can take ingredients like carrots, sunflower seeds and tofu and turn them into something amazing, then you have some great skills. Anyone can put garlic and butter in a pan and fry a steak—it's not talent, it's tradition. Blurgh. And while I'm on my vegan soap box, the world is screaming out for more plant-based, vegan friendly meals. We have to start looking at how our diets are effecting climate change and sustainability. If we continue to eat the way we do, we are going to need another six planets to do it.
*steps off soap box
Yong Green Food is an absolutely fantastic place to have a great, clean, healthy meal without the pretentiousness, or grungy-hipster 'tude that you get at certain other places (up the road, on the opposite side). It's clean, it's got a great menu, and you don't feel like everyone around you needs to put on deoderant and have a shower. This is not hippy food, it is modern, clean and exciting food. Get with the times and go to Yongs.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Taste the raw vegan meals and enjoy the delicious, often raw vegan desserts! Cheesecake, carrot cake, vegan truffles - excellent and presented in a very creative way. The restaurant is a nice place to stay, besides a very few tables, you are looking at a fridge.The service is very friendly and helpful. It's a bit a pitty, that they don't have a license to sell wines. Regarding such a great art in cooking vegetarian and vegan, I'd love to enjoy a few organic wines with these delicious dishes. Maybe an idea for the future?
Definitely one of the best vegan restaurants I know, not only in Melbourne!