“This is what serviced apartments should be all about.”

Tyrian Serviced Apartments
Reviewed October 28, 2010

As the title says, this place epitomises the definition of top quality. Everything about the place impresses, from the modern, spacious and very comfortable rooms (I stayed in one of the twin-bedroom apartments), the extremely amicable and smiling staff, through to what can only be defined as the best location for such dwellings in a hip and happening part of inner Melbourne. Not only is there an extended-hours convenience store right next door, but a further 50m walk will get one to Brunswick St! If one walks a few hundred metres the other way, Lygon St beckons. Let's face it - being surrounded by seriously good restaurants and pubs, plus the hub of Melbourne's bohemian culture, makes Tyrian the place to stay for me, every time I visit Melbourne from here on in.

Many thanks, guys. I just hope that reviews like this one don't tempt you into jacking up what is also a reasonably priced deal!! Even though I am going to recommend this place to frieds, I wish I wasn't - I don't want anyone else to know about this place, it's that good!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank gonk77

Reviewed August 10, 2010

We had a very nice stay for four nights at the Tyrian. Very helpful staff, excellent unit with good facilities. Good parking facilities, nice location.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Andrew M
Reviewed June 23, 2010

We stayed here after hearing about this brand new serviced apartments from a friend and wow, were we impressed. Brunswick St is right at your door and trams take you right into the city in minutes, its the perfect place to stay when holidaying in Melbourne. BOOK THIS, YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank glamournclass
Reviewed May 13, 2010

Just stayed a couple of nights at the Tyrian apartments in fitzroy - what a delight. Fantastic location- no more trekking across town to play on Brunswick, Smith and Gertrude streets.
The apartments are spacious, spotless and very well appointed. They could do with a bit more local character, but that's only a tiny gripe.
The staff are just lovely and really make it that small hotel or apartment stay, rather than the big faceless city hotels. A wonderful find, and costs the same as a hotel room so you'd be mad to stay anywhere else! (and it's exactly 42 steps from the provincial)

1  Thank imalwayspacked
Reviewed March 11, 2010

Stayed one Saturday night on a getaway weekend from Sydney. Being contemporary nutters, this very modern property (built in past year or so I believe) suited us down to a T. Ultra modern surrounds and sparkling clean wherever you looked, sat, ate or slept.

The theme is purple! Real funky purple atmosphere in the common areas of the property (but don't worry, the rooms are neutral!).

As it's near new I expected it to be modern, sure, but what really astounded me is the high standard of finish in the place. A lot of newer places you can see are built to a price. Tyrian, although no Burj Dubai, has definitely been built to a standard above the entry level. Someone has spent money on the small details - for example, the walls of the fire stairs down to the car park have been painted purple, the universal remote for the TV/DVD is a high quality Philips unit, and the furniture is modern and an obvious rung above the Ikea stuff you usually get. I couldn't find any flaws (wall cracks, plaster smear) in the studio we stayed in - someone has insisted on a quality job and it shows.

Staff were professional too. Excellent location, right off Brunswick St and its associated atmosphere.. with Coles right next door. Our massive studio (you could argue it was a 1 bedder!) had a fully equiped kitchen and washing/drying facility in the bathroom.

Really, with free parking, if you're jetting into Melb and renting a car from the airport unless you need to be onsite in the CBD why would you stay anywhere else. We'll be coming back!

Only negative I can come up with is that being so new, the wireless broadband should really be free - this is 2010 guys!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank YSBK
Reviewed March 7, 2010

I can't fault these apartments. Located on the edge of Melbourne's CBD, they are a real find. Without hesitation I would say that the front desk staff are exceptional - possibly the most friendly, efficient and helpful reception team I have ever come across. I booked a studio apartment which was well equipped and cleverly designed so that the bedroom area could be shut off from the living area. A small balcony, a dining area and state of the art audio-visual equipment made the place an ideal spot to work from and to receive guests. I wouldn't hesitate to book again next time I travel to Melbourne - but something tells me that the prices will rise once people discover this new complex.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank ME13
Reviewed December 21, 2009

This was the first of 4 serviced apartment/hotels I stayed in as part of a business/vacation trip to Australia. And, it was--by far--THE BEST. My stay there was for a total of 10 days for both business (initially) then vacation.

I cannot come up with enough superlatives to fully describe how wonderful my stay was at Tyrian. I travel globally for business about 150 days a year and am VERY PICKY about accommodations, preferring to stay in small hotels because I simply find the service better without the added costs of services I do not need/use. And, Tyrian is in my top 5 for this year. I've even stayed in some 6-star resorts that couldn't come close to Tyrian in terms of service.

Staff: From my arrival to departure, the Tyrian staff could not have been more helpful or gracious. They generously helped with booking taxis, tours, restaurants/performances, and just about anything else asked of them. Party of my stay coincided with a street festival (sadly rained out for much of the weekend) and the staff did their best to ensure no guests were inconvenienced by the fiesta (or the party-ers who wandered into the lobby). They were also very anxious to get suggestions on how they could improve their service or accommodations and dutifully noted everything I suggested (just little things to help them be superb rather than just excellent).

Apartments: I had a 1-bedroom apartment on the 3rd floor overlooking Johnston Street (which is a busy thoroughfare). It was spacious and well-equipped (save for needing one more mirror in the bedroom) and had all of the electronic gadgets a traveler could want. Despite the fact the apartment overlooked Johnston, I never really felt that the street noise was excessive, even on the days when a street festival was happening; on the really pleasant days, I had the sliding door open rather than using the aircon and, even then, I wasn't bothered by the noise.

My husband teased me when he arrived because Tyrian--after all--means royal purple (which is my favorite color). Still, the decor was understated and modern without forsaking comfort. The furniture was both functional and comfortable; the decor throughout was tasteful and understated.

The bed was supremely comfortable and the bath linens generously sized and plush. The apartment was partially serviced every day (bed made, trash emptied, towels replaced--if requested, kitchen cleaned), and fully serviced a couple of times during my stay. This is one hotel that really does adhere to their published practices of only taking towels that are on the floor or in the tub (this is one of my big beefs with hotels and their alleged environmental policies...in other hotels, housekeeping replace towels every day despite my hanging them up). Daily service also included replinishing soaps and detergents (for washer and dishwasher) as well as teas/coffees. One particularly nice touch was the water pitcher in the refrigerator.

While internet service was not included in the daily rate, it was not at all unreasonable. There were fairly-priced daily and weekly rates (I balk at paying $27/day for an internet connection). The Tyrian's connection was reliable and fast; I think I only had one drop. I believe I paid $50 for a week-long connection.

Convenience: what could be more convenient than dozens of restaurants/cafes (just about any ethnic food you would want) within a 2 block radius? There was also a supermarket just steps away (one of the better Coles I shopped in while in Australia). There was all kinds of public transportation within a few minutes walk of Tyrian and you can pick up passes at many of the local shops (I used the 7-11 on the corner of Johnston & Brunswick). The Melbourne CBD was about a 20 minute walk or a 10 minute ride on public transport. And, at the foot of Carleton Gardens, there is a free tram that circles the CBD.

All in all, I highly recommend the Tyrian. It is perfect for short breaks, holidays, or business travelers staying for a while. If I'm ever back in Melbourne, I'll definitely stay there (or any other Tyrian property around Australia).

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Marchessa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fitzroy
Parkville
Fitzroy
Quest Royal Gardens
Quest Royal Gardens
#1 of 6 in Fitzroy

Been to Tyrian Serviced Apartments? Share your experiences!