“Perfect Location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fitzroy
Brooklyn Arts Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Fitzroy B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 7, 2009

I am an art consultant and I travel often for work. Location, warmth and comfort is important to me as well as great art, coffee shops and eateries. Brooklyn Arts Hotel has all of the above and is in the perfect location to Gertrude Street and Smith Street. Maggie is fabulous and I loved the opulence of the dining room. Many thanks!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed August 16, 2009

The Brooklyn Arts Hotel is one of the more unusual places we have stayed. It has more in common with a homestay than a traditional B&B (or indeed the 'hotel' in its name). Its quirky nature takes some getting used to, but if you want to be within very easy walking distance of the bohemian heart of Melbourne (Fitzroy) for a few nights this may be one of the best places you could find to stay.

Initial impressions were mixed - with my wife almost being in tears at Brooklyn Arts Hotel not living up to the expectations she had held for it, following a very successful selection of luxury B&Bs to this point in our trip. The things that lead to this included: curtains that didn't really close, used soap in the bathroom, mismatched (well used) towels, only a single cotton bathrobe to get across the landing to our private bathroom, a large empty / tatty bookcase taking up most of one wall (Maggie did acknowledge that this had just arrived and needed to be sorted out), quite a lot of noise on the stairs on Friday night, grime behind one of the curtains (albeit everywhere else was perfectly clean), private balcony being used for (discreet) storage of building materials. This impression was probably not helped by Maggie not being around much as she had to head out to see a school play shortly after we arrived.

With all that said, Brooklyn Arts Hotel did grow on us a lot, particularly after we got to meet Maggie properly and we settled into the vibe of the place. The Brooklyn Arts Hotel is a wonderful large Victorian house (big rooms, high ceilings, original plasterwork), with the two largest rooms upstairs also having their own enclosed balcony seating areas to the front of the house. The downstairs breakfast room and guest lounge has (continental) breakfast materials and tea and coffee available 24 hours a day (no tea and coffee making facilities in your room, though) and also an open (gas) fireplace and is a good place to sit and chat with the eclectic mix of other residents. After Friday night we had no problems with noise and enjoyed three further peaceful and comfortable nights here.

A primary advantage of Brooklyn Arts Hotel is its location at the south end of George Street, just a short walk from the key streets of Fitzroy (Gertrude, Brunswick and Smith) and also a pleasant walk across from the CBD (2km to Federation Square). As such there are some great bars and restaurants within easy walking distance - tapas at Anada just round the corner being a stand out for us.

Brooklyn Arts Hotel is acknowledged to be a work in progress, having only been fully open for seven months and clearly Maggie is working on refinements. Two new bathrooms were in the process of being created while we were there (though I should emphasise that this did not create any noise/nuisance for us) and Maggie was also interested in our feedback on other areas she could improve the experience. We suggested that at the price level of the Queen rooms, toiletries in the bathrooms would be a reasonable expectation and suggested pump action dispensers to avoid wastage, in keeping with the eco-friendly feel. Hopefully this will happen soon.

In conclusion, would we say here again? Yes we would, particularly for a visit like ours where we were catching up with friends in the city and didn't necessarily want to get up early for breakfast. We would recommend trying for the Queen room with the piano in it, which does have a true ensuite unlike the Queen room we had where the private bathroom is across the landing. Maggie appears committed to continual refinement of the Brooklyn Arts Hotel experience and already has a number of very satisfied repeat visitors judging by the guest book. We can understand why and will most likely return ourselves.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tokyomb
Reviewed July 22, 2009

A delightful introduction to Australia. It was more like being at home rather then in an hotel, and Maggie was a wonderful hostess without being intrusive. We were made very welcome right from the start. The breakfast was do-it-yourself style and an amazing selection of teas and jams was provided. Our fellow guests were all delightful and friendly and interesting. We stayed for 9 days and now count Maggie as one of our friends.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2009

I loved this place with its gracious architecture, antique filled rooms, friendly service, and Maggie, the most relaxed and convivial owner that I have met anywhere in a hotel. My huge room had an additional balcony room with a desk, and a sparklingly fresh bathroom all in white tiles. The big breakfast table downstairs seems to be open all hours no matter whether you want to sleep til ten or rise with the sparrows. It's a short walk through the park to the city , or a tram ride if you are feeling lazy, and the area around the hotel is filled with quirky cafes, shops and bars. A perfect place to stay in Melbourne.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 11, 2009

On the positive side, it's a great location in Fitzroy, rooms are clean, the house architecturally is beautiful, it's a very relaxed atmosphere, rooms were very large and the hostess was wonderful.

On the negative side I found that the noise from the corridor and bathroom was coming into the room and every night I stayed I was woken in the morning by my neighbours going for a shower.

Having said that I would stay here again and would recommend it to anyone looking for a B&B in the Fitzroy area.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank goonson
Reviewed April 12, 2009

The Brooklyn Arts hotel I found by accident. I usually stay in business hotels so this was very different. The house dates from 1860 and the rooms are cavernous, filled with lovely antique things, rather romantic. The most important things to me wherever I stay are cleanliness and quiet, I wasn’t disappointed. Breakfast was served when I felt like it and the whole place had a relaxed home from home feel. The hotel is situated within walking distance of Melbourne centre but is located in really interesting part of town, with cool bars and art boutique shops, there is also a great Spanish restaurant just round the corner. Maggie my host was convivial and helpful. When I come back I would defiantly stay here again. I usually never frequent a place more than once, but the Brooklyn I would make an exception. Gino

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank GinoEM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fitzroy
Parkville
Fitzroy
Quest Royal Gardens
Quest Royal Gardens
#1 of 6 in Fitzroy

Been to Brooklyn Arts Hotel? Share your experiences!