“A cosy welcoming visit to Melbourne”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fitzroy
Brooklyn Arts Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Fitzroy B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“A cosy welcoming visit to Melbourne”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I have stayed twice in this wonderful private hotel in a beautiful quiet street in the middle of Fitzroy. Maggie is the owner and ensures all guests feel welcome. Whether you choose to sit in the quaint lounge room or stick to your room this hotel caters for all. I met some wonderful artists and other travellers over breakfast in the morning. There are no TV,s and it is a quiet relaxing place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the upstairs front room or either of the downstairs front rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my mum for my birthday for four nights. We found Brooklyn arts hotel to be a lovely little home away from home. Maggie was a great host and we enjoyed her company at breakfast. The building is full of interesting and quirky things, and has a beautiful little back garden. We stayed in the queen room downstairs, and it was nice and clean and very quiet at night. Maggie supplied a nice range of organic sourdough breads, a variety of fruit and lots of different jams etc. we were also offered porridge if we wanted. Maggie runs her hotel in a practical manner with the environment in mind. The place is old, but clean with nice roomy bathrooms. If you are after somewhere to stay in Melbourne with a bit of character and a friendly host, then you can't go past Brooklyn Arts Hotel.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Sydney
Reviewed June 2, 2013

This is the third time I have visited Maggie's beautiful Fitzroy dwelling, each time with some girlfriends and we love it here, a true home away from home, and always someone interesting to talk to at the breakfast table. Here are some things I love about this small hotel and some reasons to stay here: stay here if you love the quirky and individual, each room is different (some fit 3 very comfortably so I always share with my girlfriends) and I love the old fashioned and recycled decor. stay here if you like a good chat around the breakfast table, but Maggie will introduce you to everybody so don't stay if you just want a couples time alone. Stay here if you want to be in the heart of Fitzroy (where else!) and you want to be able to stagger 50metres to some awesome wine bars and shops, don't stay if you want to come back and party at the hotel as it is not that kind of place. Walk across Fitzroy gardens to the centre of town. No public transport needed. Stay here if you want somewhere clean and colourful, but not if you mind walking down the corridor to a bathroom. Stay here if you care about the environment but not if you object to patting the labradors which greet you in the corridor (outside). Personally I will never stay anywhere else, no other hotel leaves such a warm glow, nor is as well located.

Room Tip: Each room is different. The upstairs ones probably quieter and more luxurious but I have always slep...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Loved my stay with my best friend in Melbourne. I was so thrilled that she found this place as opposed to the rather sterile place we'd reserved. This was a joy. We were welcomed warmly and shown to our comfy, beautifully designed twin room. Lovely, functional and easy to keep clean wet room right next door (we knew we'd have to share). We felt like we were staying with friends. The house is buzzing with atmosphere. It's how I imagine an old fashioned guest house would have been in the early part of the 20th century, but with all the modern comforts. The wifi was free and reliable. Breakfast... a total joy. I'm gluten free, which meant I had my own loaf of artisan bread waiting for me in the morning! Toast to a Brit who is GF is a true true joy - I haven't had such good GF bread before or since. There was a huge selection of jams and spreads as well as cereals, milk and OJ. All help yourself and have as much or little as you like. The dining room was open all day (with it's own little fridge) and you could sit at the table or a comfy chair with a cup of tea/coffee any time you liked. Maggie is a delight. A practical and friendly landlady with interest in all her guests and a joy to chat to. The gardens are so beautiful - lovely rambling flowers with tables to sit at and thoughtfully placed bottled of mozzie spray for the evenings. The dogs just make it feel like a proper home.
I was loathe to review this on here as I wanted to keep it a secret - but I feel that some of the comments on here do need to be re-buffed.
Location is perfect for those of us who like to shuffle around quirky design shops, as well as cool coffee shops (the best cup of coffee in the world at the end of the road) and even a few discount shops up the road!

This isn't a hotel, it's an experience. We stayed 6 nights - and it was a lot of fun.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed in the Green Room for two nights after being upgraded from the Blue Room at no extra charge! Maggie was very lovely and accomodating, always willing to help us and wasn't upset at all when we misplaced our key. We were welcomed amazingly by a member of staff and the place as a whole was very cosy. Reasonably close to Brunswich St, an easy walk, but far enough away that you feel as though you are retreating from the hectic pace of the city as soon as you enter the doors. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013
Toronto
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Brooklyn Arts Hotel is EXACTLY as described on its website, so if that is what you're looking for, that is what you will indeed get. It's relaxed, comfortable, interesting and beautiful. The back garden is a joy. The big dining room table welcomes you at any time of day for a tea, a coffee, a piece of fruit or a biscuit and a read of the papers. The laundry is hung out in the fresh air on ingeniously arranged clotheslines at the back. The house runs like clockwork relative to the changing temperatures and weather: cool on the inside all the time despite record hot days while we were there. Staff are welcoming, calmly accommodating and professional. Breakfast is a shared pleasure among pleasant and interesting fellow-travellers oftentimes including owner Maggie. Thanks Maggie for a lovely week!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sixtysomethings
Westport, Ireland
Reviewed January 22, 2013

my wife and i stayed in the green room for four nights, its a great palce to stay, well situated as its easy to travel into town and there are lots of eating palces nearby. the communial breakfasts where best when Maggie was present

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fitzroy
Parkville
Southbank
The Langham, Melbourne
The Langham, Melbourne
#5 of 160 in Melbourne

Been to Brooklyn Arts Hotel? Share your experiences!