“A nice stay 3.5 score”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Pedro Gonzales
Belwood, Canada
“A nice stay 3.5 score”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

We spent a week at the Dunes starting March 7. We were in the Premier section and it was excellent and well worth the money. You had to get wifi in the hall but not a big inconvenience. Most meals were eaten at the restaurant in the Premier section. They were ok. The buffet was different most days.The fresh fruit was great and plentiful. Most days there was something that you could find to eat. I am not a big pasta person but my son is vegetarian and my grand daughter is lactose intolerant. They got along fine every day. It depends on your expectations. Photos of the capybara were unexpected. I got good night time and daytime photos. This was a big plus to the trip.
The tour people (Marco) scarred us the first day about the locals and told us not to exchange money or buy tours/safari from others not associated with the hotel. We got a great exchange rate on the beach and purchased the Jeep safari tour from Bernie on the beach. I highly recomend dealing with Bernie (Magic Tours). He set us up with Jose who spoke fluent English and had a university degree. He toured us all over the island and gave excellent value for the money. There was a definite difference of opinion between Jose and Marco. Where ever we drove people waved and were very hospitable. We went to Juan Gregio a small fishing village twice. It is 10 minutes away from the resort. It is well worth going and safe. By taxi it was 60 B or $3 US. Lunch at Mama's was worth while.
The main thing is to travel smartly. I carried my Nikon SLR and telephoto lens with me everywhere but it was placed in my pack sack when I wasn't shooting photos. I have it insured but don't want it stolen. There is a lot of poverty and Jose indicated that everybody is just trying to get by. It was a good week. The worst was having to deal with the military at the airport searching everything by hand twice, Xray of baggage plus a patting down. Meanwhile the drug sniffer dog was tied up to a piece of the furniture and not used at all.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Bob W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Polish first
Leeds Cty ON
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

We traveled to Margarita and the Dunes February 26- March 12 staying in the premium section building 51. Our favourite saying became "maybe tomorrow" and we settled into the laid back atmosphere at the resort. Language didn't seem to be a barrier. The staff all tried there best. The small pool in the premium section became one of our favourite "lay abouts" after the beach. The weather was fantastic. Hot but a breeze almost all the time. One of the best things the Dunes had was lots of beach chairs and pads to put on them. Because we had the premium package, the pads were free but I heard that others had to pay a dollar a day. Well worth it.
Our room was clean and everything was is fairly good shape. The t.v. actually had some english channels besides CNN. (Spanish subtitles). The internet was a little irregular in the room. It didn't work the first week, only on the main floor but the second week we had good service right in the room and no extra charge. Good for keeping in touch with the family back home and much nicer environment than the internet spots at other island resorts. The maids were very friendly and there was always a good supply of bottled water on hand. The water in the bathroom was yellow but it was a good reminder to keep it out of your mouth. Lighting in the rooms could use some work. Very dull. The air conditioner worked well and we turned it down to low at night and it felt good to come back to at the end of the day. There is a shuttle that takes you back and forth to the main part of the resort. Never had to wait very long. You can also take the short cut to the beach through the lighthouse gardens and across the parking lot in about 10 minutes.
The food was a little erratic but really typical Caribbean fare. Lots of salad choices and the guys loved the soup every night. Lots of desserts to choose from. Loved the coconut macaroon bars and yellow passion fruit is one of my favourite treats when south. I have never seen it at home. Pick the most yellow ones to try. My friend likes to sprinkle a little sugar on them. Luciano's is the al la carte. Our package gave us one visit a week. The vodka tomato soup was delicious and so were the seafood crepes and lasagna. I usually stick to local foods when away but the pasta bar was good too. The beach dining room served a limited buffet and you could order burgers and fries. The fish dinner off the menu was excellent every time. No one in our group had any stomach problems there or when we got home. We usually had breakfast in the Talapia Restaurant in the morning. Omelets and fried eggs were quick and delicious. Empanadas every morning. Some had cheese and we weren't crazy about the fish ones.
The beach was wonderful and the pearl sellers were great entertainment. Carlo and Jose custom made a couple of pieces for me. Tell them what you want and they will do their best to make the sale. Bargain with them. Never take the price they tell you first, second or third. You never need to leave the beach to go shopping. There is a little beach store that sells pretty swimsuit cover ups, float things, t shirts and hats. All very good prices but I did get some better deals in Juan Griego. A friend that accompanied us there has spent a few years vacationing in the area and he even bartered with the store people. Trade your american dollars with the guy at the beach store or Marco. More bang for your buck. There are some shops in the lobby too. Candy, cigarettes, suntan lotion etc. No booze though. There are 2 lady's shops that had cute bathing suits, beach bags and jewelry. There is also internet at one of them if you didn't bring your own. There are also jewelry vendors that set up near the main restaurant. Very nice pieces with gold and silver that you don't get on the beach.
We usually spent some time at the Shobana bar in the evening, just a skip from our rooms. No watering down drinks there for sure. Some new furniture is badly needed. You can catch the Capybera parade almost every night. Intriguing characters, but very shy.
"Outsider" tourism has taken a dive in Venezuala. The Dunes won awards in 2009 but is in need of some updating. They were working hard while we were there cleaning the grounds and planting. The weekends are very busy with "locals" but the food is fresher. No problems with crime, felt safe always. Security keeps a good eye on things on the beach. They won't let you down past the boundary if you have cameras or fancy jewelry on. We walked a little way down and back towards the Hesperia every day. No one bothered us. Yes, the airport is a pain. I don't think the customs guys are having too much fun either. The dumbest thing was the 2nd check of the carry ons getting on the plane. Men in one line and women and children in the other. The tour operators have tried to talk to them to no avail. While we were there Chavez died. They weren't allowed to serve alcohol from open spaces at the resort, the liquor stores and Stores selling booze were closed off. The funny thing at the resort was the playing of "sad" music. Their repertoire was limited so we were serenaded to silent night and the wedding march sometimes. No loud animation teams to put up with though. Liked that.
This was our 2nd trip to Margarita. We stayed at the Hesperia down the beach last time. The experience was comparable. Some good things and not so good things there too. By the look of other accomodations reviews on the island it seems to be the status quo. The government doesn't promote tourism or foreign investment.
One thing we noticed was the deterioration of scenery and there seemed to be more poverty than before. Lots of garbage by the roadside and in the hamlets. Margarita Island has beautiful vistas. We did our jeep tour through Marcos Tours like the last time. Ramone drove us around the island all day and showed us some new spots we had not visited the time before. I'll do a review of Marcos Tours on the attractions site. Marcos Ochoa is an island gem. Not to be confused with the Marco 1 & 2 at the resort. They are great people too. Always helpful and friendly.
Perhaps with the change in government good things will start to happen again on Margarita. It is a very beautiful place and Venezuala needs to recognize this, You must take a tour of the island when you go. Try the beach restaurant at Playa Blanca and the coco locos at the cantina by the road. La Restinga bioreserve boat tour is breath taking. Lots of flora and fauna.
We definitely plan to go to Margarita again. Maybe the Dunes maybe not. The weather climate won't keep us away as much as the political climate.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank OutOfTheCold
Guelph, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Hola Travellers!
Margarita Island is Paradise, and The Dunes hotel... well, it's like a shack in paradise. Ya get it? Don't count on your shower water being hot, or cold, or clear or on for that matter... but you don't know the benefits of being 10 degrees closer to the equator!! Can't whistle... you'll be pro by the time you leave! DANCE PARTIES ALWAYS WELCOME!! I have to give a shout out to security and staff... for a trip with 4 girls, we felt more than safe! Nobody was pushy or rude... the maids were so happy and chipper! We all went into this trip with huge smiles on our faces, and left the same way, with upset belly's. Tho the omelette bar is safe, and great! It'll get ya through the day... All 4 of us ended up sick upon arriving home, but this still couldn't put a damper on how freakin' fantastic our trip was! This place attracts only the coolest Canadians and South Americans. Know what you are getting into when you come here. Do your research. There will be language barriers, and lots of pasta, especially if you are vegetarian. You can try to catch the capybara's, and if you succeed, send me a picture. Talk to the folks you are sharing the week with and you will see you all get poop stained towels! It's ok, it's just the water. Low expectations and you'll be fine. The staff alone make this place entertaining. I highly suggest the jeep tour run by Marco, he is very accommodating, even when you miss multiple meetings with him... We loved Antoni! The shuttle bus drivers kept us going... we woo'd the trip away with energy like no one else!! The beach is beautiful, tho you may be on garbage duty once ya hit the rocks! Cushy sand, pretty seashells, and tons of fun waves! Come here. Have fun. And don't let your smiles fade. Love this place. Love you Jhon.
primos y amigos del

Room Tip: We liked our standard room on ground level, corner room... has a nice patio!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank rikaphi
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Beware people get robbed in the hotel. Don't wear any nice clothing or jewelery. Everyone sizes you up for you net worth. 3 people were robbed that I know of when I weas there. It seems not to be a priority. After hearing first hand I inquired about the security issues with the reception and head of security. They told me nothing bad happens at the resort. I find this strange as I saw two people yelling at security as there room was just ransacked durring dinner. Maybe that is part of the reason they ask for not only your bracelet number but also your room number to get food at the restaurant. The food was the same every day but the salad was a good change compared to other hotels in south america. It is a dangerous place to visit as this is why cruise ships very seldom visit and tourism is down 70%it is not a place for adventurem its too bad as the nature is wonderful too bad it is inhabited by criminals and military dictatorship. Even the locals that have to go back to visit sick family will plead do not come back as you are playing russian roulette with your life. I wish I had some positive to say but the only thing was a guy on the beach selling excursions named Bernie who speaks english and is much cheaper than the nolitour shyksters. He will help you with frankness and you can trust him..

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank travellove69

Travelers are raving about these Pedro Gonzales hotels

Watford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We visited here in March 2009

I booked this hotel as it was the best in the First Choice brochure and on the Island. After reading the reviews after I booked it back in April, I wasn't too worried as they were all okay, but from December 2009 onwards the reviews went drastically down hill. The worry then set in, but we went anyway.
We emailed the hotel prior to arriving, asking for a room in the blocks near to the reception as they seemed to be getting the better reviews. Upon arrival we were put in a room on the bottom floor of block 35 which is amongst the blocks near the main gate of the resort. Words cannot fully describe the room, but I'll give it a go. The room was very small, dark, smelly and damp. There was a door leading out onto a so called patio which overlooked all I can describe as a small building site, the door did not lock leaving the room insecure. We immediately complained to reception, they informed us that they were unable to move us until the following day as the hotel was full. We refused to stay in the room and they eventually moved us to a room on the bottom floor of block 36 which is also by the main gate. This room was slightly better than the first, it didn't smell as much, was much bigger and looked out onto the fountains and main entrances to the block. It was still damp and musty smelling, but after a journey totalling more than 11 hours, I was shattered and feeling rather ill, the room was somewhere to collapse and sleep. We returned to the reception and insisted on being moved the following day.
The cut the story short, we changed rooms at 1600 hrs. the following day into block 18 room 25, which was opposite the reception building. The room was okay, the air conditioning didn't work and there was no water from the hot tap or shower. The air con was fixed immediately, but we had to wait 2 days before the water was fixed. We sacrificed the hot water in fear of being moved to a worse room.
There were loads of people complaining about the hotel. Some said they had fleas in the bed, no lighting, tiny rooms, no water, no air con and many many more complaints. If you make your point at the reception, they will help by either moving you or fixing the problem.
Other than the room, the hotel is very good. We found it to be very clean but tired. The staff were friendly and helpful. The food was okay, the best nights were BBQ and Oriental nights. Obviously this is personal choice as they have theme nights each night. We found that lunch was best taken at the main restaurant, this meal was better than dinner. The beach restaurant was good, but got a bit repetitive as its the same menu each day. I particularly liked the Caesar salad and chips!
The beach is fantastic and there are always plenty beds and shade for everyone. The sea can get very rough so if you're not a strong swimmer be careful. One criticism is that you have to pay $1 for a cushion which I think is a bit much and should be included.
We didn't watch the entertainment, but I believe that it is pretty much like the entertainment in all inclusive resorts around the world.
I would sum the hotel up as a 2 star not a 4 star. Having spoken to numerous people around the island, the Dunes is the best hotel on the island. If you are used to staying in 4 or 5 star hotels, you will hate this place. Go with an open mind and make the most of it. We did and had a great holiday. You will not get a flashy hotel on this island!
Our rep from First Choice was Anna, she is a lovely lady and try her best to help. She will be leaving the island in 3 weeks when First Choice pull out of the resort.
After this date, the only way to book a package to Margarita will be by going through another country as they are the last UK package company on the island.
Although I have ticked I would not recommend this hotel, if you have set your heart on visiting Margarita and need a hotel, then I would recommend the Dunes, as I have already said, it is the best hotel on the island.
TIPS
Don't take beach towels, the hotel provide them.
Don't forget your Marmite!
There is a fridge in the room, so take empty bottles to fill at the bar and keep in the fridge.
Take your mosquito repellent and room plug.
Change your currency on the beach, the guys are okay and honest. You get 2.14 blv to the dollar at the bank or hotel, the guys will give you anything from 4.7 to 5.0 blv to the dollar. They change US dollar travellers cheques at a rate of 4 blv to the dollar and UK pound for 5.7 - 6.0 blv.
If you pay for trips in bolivar then they increase the price so work out which way is better for you, cash is better than credit cards.
Trips are cheaper if you book with Marcos on the beach. Ask any of the traders for Marcos and they will call him for you. He does not take credit card, so if you want to do the 2 day jungle/Angel Falls trip then take plenty cash to cover it. You will need about £600 for 2 people to cover this trip alone, or end up paying £750 on a credit card through First Choice. His other trips are the same as First Choice, just cheaper.
We did the jungle (through First Choice), the Jeep safari and Coche Island catamaran trip (through Marcos). I recommend all of these.
Take a bin liner, its easy to chuck your beach bag and clothes in it should you have a down pour on the beach. (They don't last long so its not worth leaving the beach)
If you do the jungle trip, take a waterproof or a bin liner each. It rained whilst we were on it and we got soaked! A bin liner makes and excellent waterproof.
Pay your departure tax in bolivar changed at the beach. This makes it half the price if you were to pay it in dollars.
The duty free at the airport is rubbish. Limited amount of alcohol available which isn't that cheap. The only cigarettes sold are Marlboro, they are 88 blv for 200. Check the price in local supermarkets, I heard that they are cheaper, or buy on the plane.
Take a photocopy of your passport with you. The nearest British embassy is on the mainland in Caracus. If you lose your passport then you in the poop. It will be easier to replace with a photocopy, you can also use it as ID.
There is a high crime rate on the island, be careful when out of the resort. Don't flaunt your jewellery or high value equipment. Hire a safe a the hotel.
If you are doing any trip out of the island via the airport, be prepared for extra fees. There is departure tax at the airports and seaports. The prices vary at each airport.

Anyway it seems I have written war and peace here. Go to Margarita and enjoy yourself, just don't expect luxury, I don't think they know the meaning of the word. As I have already said, we had a good holiday and made the most of everything.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ali H
London, Kentucky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Hello everyone! My husband and I just got back from Dunes resort on Margarita Island this morning. I feel VERY compelled to warn fellow travellors about this horrible place!
The resort itself is beautiful not by Aruba standards but as far as South American it is very well maintained, clean and hot water everyday (we stayed in the premium section). The problem with this hotel and the island is the security is very corrupt. Including the national guard at the airport. my husband and I had a few drinks at the pool bar from approx 5-630, and then went to the Talapia Restaurant. I noticed my husband and the other 2 tourist we were sitting with going from having a couple social drinks to totally being intoxicated within minutes. At the time we didn't think much of it. I went to my room where I found the door closed and locked as I left it 30 mins prior when I unlocked the door and went in I found my room had been ransacked. Someone had taken everything out of our suitcases and thrown our clothes all over the room. We had items stolen from us. When I called security they were more interested in keeping me quite so the rest of the tourists didn't know what was going on. "Carlos" from security threatened to call the police if I didn't be quiet. I encouraged him to call the police to have the corruption dealt with as it was obviously an inside job as there was no forced entry. He insisted that the head of security and guest services rep Marcos and naulitours rep Smirna would come to our room and deal with everything in the morning. The next day came and went no tour rep, no security, no phone call. We didn't leave our room the whole day as we were scared the person would be back. Tuesday we proceeded to the desk of Smirna, she was very cold and unhelpful. Her remarks were very condescending and stated she didn't see it happen so she doesn't know. She called the manager of security and Marcus (guest relations ) they said security was not called by me that night another guest called because there was an altercation between myself and another guest. This was securities report to deal with the break in to cover up the corruption and lies.
Following this disgraceful meeting we ran into the people that we were with on Sunday. We were told 2 of them were definitely drugged and the one guy 6'2 220 lbs didn't make it to his room he passed out in a lounge chair right in front of a security camera and was robbed of his gold Jewelery, watch and sunglasses!! He didn't have any recollection of this happening. He too went to report this to no avail. We were promised answers and of course got nothing answered we just got followed and intimidated by security for the final 2 days there. If this wasn't bad enough when we were in the airport the second last security point they seperate the men from the woman. The national guard searched my purse and tried to steal $300 from me!!!! I saw the green 20$ bills in my purse and he was trying to distract me by telling me to take things out of my bag. I told him I thought my money fell out of my wallet not wanting to accuse him of stealing so he gave me my purse back with the money.
If you are brave enough to go to this place after what you have read here please be careful and don't trust anyone especially the people who are suppose to be the ones to protect you. All in all the food and drinks were okay at this resort. The beach is beautiful, the hotel staff tell you to be careful of the people on the beach however, if you want to go on an awesome excursion I totally recommend Bernie he is a great man and i very fair, he also speaks English which is a bonus. His excursions are exactly the same as the hotel but 25% cheaper. On the beach the exchange rate for Canadian is 17 to 1 bbs and the American money goes a lot further. I read other reviews stating they like Canadian money better, that is not true today bring American the best rate is 24 to 1 bbs.

Thanks for reading my report, what I'm telling you here is not exaggerated. My husband and I travel 3-4 times a year we have been to the Carribean, central and south America and have NEVER experienced the corruption even in Mexico, Belize, Panama, Cuba,Honduras, Columbia.....I have never wanted to come home during a vacation in my life until now!!!

Thanks!

• Stayed March 2013
6 Thank Tracey N
Brantford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Just got back from a week at the Dunes Feb 27-Mar 6. HOT, HOT, HOT. We were in the premium section in building 52 on the (1st floor) second level. Our room was great, king bed, dresser, mini fridge, table and 15" flat screen tv mounted on the wall. The room was clean and bedding crisp. The bathroom was modern with a large shower. The bathroom water had a slightly beige tinge to it which is probably minerals in the water. You are only washing in it not drinking it so this was not a problem. I didn't wash out any clothing because it did stain the white towels. Our A/C worked fine and on a few occaisions we turned it off because it was too cold. There is a free safe in the room.

The food was great,, you have to remember where you are!! There was bacon on 2 days (do you eat bacon every day at home?) and lots of selection on the buffet for all meals each and everyday. Breakfast has the fresh egg and empanada stations and lunch and dinner has fresh pasta and empanada stations each day. There were pancakes, oatmeal, croissants, buns, breads, cheese, lots of veggies, potatoes, rice, chicken, beef, pork, salads at every meal including breakfast and lots of fruit, watermelon, cantaloupe,pineapple and bananas. Soup every meal as well. Desserts were cakes, fruit, rice pudding, flans, etc. After the 3rd day there was a conference of some sort with a lot of Spanish speaking people arriving so there was now a larger population in the resort. We made an attempt to be in the restaurants shortly after they opened for two reasons. 1, for better selection in case anything ran out, 2, less hands in there to contaminate the food with germs of any kind. We did not see any wiping of tables with disinfectant at any time, just a dusting off between diners with a napkin so we were mindful of not putting our cutlery directly on the tables etc. Every little precaution helps with so many people using a facility.

In the premium section you have your own pool and restaurant and bar. The pool was great the first day but turned cloudy after that. The pool staff was there cleaning but it took until the end of the week to clear. I have had a pool myself and know that once it clouds it can take a lot of time to bring it back. During this time we chose to use the main pool which is huge, 10 ft deep in the deep end and very clean.

They serve local alcohol and a drink called kaipirrinah was great,,, muddled limes with sugar, white rum and water I think, mmmm. We saw white and dark rum, vodka, beer, red and white wine (red was great) and some others.

There were more Spanish speaking tourists than English speaking, some French and some German. Some staff spoke english and those that couldn't tried. The shuttle runs every 5 minutes or less so no problem getting from premium to reception if you didn't want to walk.
The beach is awesome but as others said, the security will stop you if you have cameras etc because of "banditos". The first time we walked the beach we didn't have anything with us and we did not get stopped.
The grounds are well kept, lots of flowers, a couple of lighthouses, fountains etc.

The restaurant at the beach has great hamburgers and french fries, a buffet, chicken burgers, etc. French fries come with the burgers but you can ask for them alone (potats frites).
The waves were huge and it was red flagged all week. The vendor in the first hut from the restaurant sells t-shirts, dresses, shorts, bags, souvenirs etc and will exchange money at 20Bol per US $ which is about the highest you can get.

All in all a great time, would not likely go back,,, too many other places to try yet.

Room Tip: Premium was great but we did not see what the regular rooms were like.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Unik Hotel Margarita
Unik Hotel Margarita
#3 of 8 in Pampatar
Agua Dorada Beach Hotel by LIDOTEL

Been to Dunes Hotel & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!