“excellent”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tyrrelstown
Tramore, Waterford, Ireland
“excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

we are just back from a 2 nite stay package with tayto park and nac included.first of all what value this was and i will definitely be back .i couldnt fault one thing with the hotel each of the staff were as nice and friendly as the next one .especially i have to give a big thank you to lorraine who i say was one of te managers she couldnt do enough for us and nothing was a problem i had two small children and anything i asked for was greeted with a smile.also the other male manager whos name escapes me was excellent also .they are credit to their hotel ,and i would glad to think that any visitor outside of ireland would be treated so well in an irish hotel .the have a kiddies club for a small fee the took the children off for hours leaving us to have dinner which was lovely. a big thank you again to the carlton ad the staff you made our holiday. maria waterford

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
DeclanCurtis_GM, General Manager at Carlton Hotel Blanchardstown, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear Maria,

Thank you for your kind comments in relation to your stay with us here at The Carlton Hotel Blanchardstown. I am delighted that you have enjoyed your visit and I thank you for your feedback in relation to your stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon, please do not hesitate to contact me when you decide to return @ dcurtis@carlton.ie

Declan Curtis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Polish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

My husband had to go on a work trip so I joined him for three weeks.

Bottom line this hotel is clean and has well appointed rooms, but unless you book at the main restaurant in advance, don't expect a great selection of meals from the pub menu. It's far from town too.

Here's a quick run down

Location
If you're on business and the office is in one of the nearby business parks, the location is great
The hotel is far from city centre, but the bus stop is right outside the entrance to the hotel. It's about a 30 - 40 minute odd bus ride into town. Use the 40D to Parnell street stop, which is just around the corner from the main street, O'Connell street.
You can use taxi's to get to town, usually about 30 Euro. Use the drivers that partner with the hotel. Just book at the front desk. They don't overcharge and drive safely.

Breakfast was lovely.
Croissants
Yoghurt
Fruit
Selection of Cereals
Eggs - scrambled or done to order. Poached, boiled (allow time), fried
Pork Sausages
Bacon
Bean 'sauce' and other 'toppings'
Coffee or tea

Dinner - not so lovely
Book at the main restaurant ahead of the time (that's if the restaurant is not booked for private function). The main restaurant has lovely food, well prepared and a nice selection. Not extensive but enough choice to satisfy.
If you don't book at the main restaurant, you will have to eat in the pub/bar and the food leaves something to be desired. The only thing I really enjoyed on this menu was the steak. Although some of the cuts were not always the best possible. Occasionally there would be sinew down the middle of the steak.

Rooms
We had a room with an extra dressing room attached which was a nice bonus.
The hotel was previously known as the Park Plaza in Tyrrelstown, so it's been revamped a little since the Carlton took over. Some of the carpets could be cleaner, but that's just an extra note for those who take note of minor details.
The bathroom was well appointed - bath, lovely shower, and huge mirror.
Full length mirror
Hair Dryer
The usual necessary plug points in the bathroom.
There was also an american style plug point for those who forget to bring their converter plugs.

Cleanliness
The linen was immaculate and after room service has been in, quality control comes round to check that everything is as it should be.

On the whole, depending on your purpose of travel, this hotel is good if you manage dinner arrangements in advance.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms towards the 'rounded' end of the hotel, as they are more spacious because o...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank vesnaputzier
Dear Guest,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay but I am disappointed that you were unable to dine in our restaurant due to it's popularity. Time restaurant is so highly regarded by our regular diners that I can only advise that when you return next time that you book well in advance. I look forward to welcoming you back soon and hopefully we will be able to accommodate you next time.

Yours Sincerely,

Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

We're just back from a 3 night stay in this hotel. We have 3 children and booked the family package of 3 nights b+b and one evening meal, with a free family pass to tayto park and the national aquatic centre. What excellent value. Those passes alone are worth 50 euro each
and the kids loved them! I reviewed these separately. Firstly the room was fab. Loads of room for 5 of us. There are 3 campbeds though so if you have teenagers then maybe go for interconnecting rooms. The rooms are very modern with 2 flat screen tv's, a couch and separate seating area, where kids beds are. The bathroom was lovely too with a separate double shower and bath. Breakfast was lovely, loads of choice and staff very helpful and friendly. Evening meal in restaurant was lovely but not great choice I have to say. Bar menu had much more choice. Kids used the kids club one night and loved it. Did arts and crafts, games in garden, disco, had a ball. There is a charge but this includes dinner so works out as good value and nice for parents to get a break for a quiet meal together !
Would definitely stay here again and with the trips it makes it great value.

2 Thank waterbabe18
DeclanCurtis_GM, General Manager at Carlton Hotel Blanchardstown, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review I am delighted that you have enjoyed your visit and I I do hope you have occasion to visit us again soon in the near future, I would be delighted to welcome you back.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

We took the 2 night BB 1D family package with passes to Tayto Park and National aquatic centre for amazing 198Euros.Both days out were great (got weather for tayto park!).Hotel was very clean and rooms were impressive.The Manager Declan was very good and all the Staff were on the ball and friendly especially Ellyn,Michelle,Adriana and Grace.Breakfast was excellent and Dinner a pleasant suprise!Picnic supplied for Tayto park was more than adequate and tasty.All said great value family break.Enjoy!!

Room Tip: No pool but nearby National aquatic centre great for the kids. North facing 5th floor view much nic...
1 Thank happycamperzzz
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments in relation to your stay with us here at The Carlton Hotel Blanchardstown. I am delighted that you have enjoyed your visit and I thank you for your feedback in relation to your stay with us. I do hope you have occasion to visit us again soon in the near future, I would be delighted to welcome you back.

n ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

From arriving in this hotel 2 adults & 2 kids we could not have been more impressed. Our interconnecting rooms wer just perfect for a nice relaxing break breakfast was great lots of variety and nothing was to much trouble for the staff in paticular a lady whom seemed to be the manager i havent gotten her name but we couldnt speak more highly of her. Our dinner was included so we arranged it for the second night the restaurant staff wer so attentive and nothing was to much trouble Declan in particular was great with our kids playing a game and entertaining them. Our meal was 1st class couldn't of asked for better very tasty. We are definitely going to return to the Carlton at Christmas and we couldn't recommend it enough

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank rossa29
DeclanCurtis_GM, General Manager at Carlton Hotel Blanchardstown, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments in relation to your stay with us here at The Carlton Hotel Blanchardstown. I am delighted that you have enjoyed your visit and I thank you for your feedback in relation to your stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you and your family back this December, please do not hesitate to contact me when you decide to return @ dcurtis@carlton.ie.

Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed here (2A+ 3C) for 3 nights, the room was very spacious and spotless clean, the bar food was very tasty, the breakfast excellent loads of varity for kids and all staff were very friendly. We could not fault this hotel at all, well done we had a very enjoyable break away.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lorraine F

New England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

This was my second stay at the Carlton in the last year. A couple of changes lower my personal impression of the hotel.

First, they have changed the way their WiFi works, and the new scheme is truly annoying - an iPhone can't stay connected, requiring repeated logins, and the connection is only valid for a day, requiring repeated registrations, and a daily visit to the front desk to get a new passkey.

Second, the quality of the food seems to be lower - I seem to recall that on my last visit, the natchos in the bar included nice grated Irish cheddar; this time they were slathered with that cheese glop one gets at the ballpark. That's a crime, given that Irish cheddar is magnificent!

Definitely stay away from the Chicken Korma. The Tanjore Palace in the nearby shopping center offers first-rate Indian fare. The Korma in the bar was comedic.

Unlike some of the other reveiwers here, I liked the breakfast, with the exception of the steam-table scrambled eggs. They'll bring you some nice fried eggs if you request them. Other than that, it's a pretty good Full Irish, with cereals, fruits, and decent breads and pastries as options. Maybe the scrambled eggs put the other reviewers off. The mushrooms were particularly well prepared.

The beds are a little firm, and the pillows downright stiff.

My initially-assigned room had a couple of flaws that rendered it uninhabitable. The toilet flusing mechanism didn't work properly; nor did the shower's temperature control, making the shower uncomfortably hot. The staff did move me quickly into another room in which everything worked properly, with the possible exception of the air conditioning. One would think that with highs in the low 60's (around 17F) and lows around 50 (10F), you wouldn't need cooling - but you do, on the upper floors.

My message to hoteliers (in general, this hotel is hardly unique in having these kinds of problems) is: have a handyman check out the infrastructure from time to time, or train the housekeeping staff to check these things. Don't rely on guests to report problems.

The location is, as described elsewhere, at the edge of civilization - but it's exactly where I needed to be! I wouldn't recommend it to foreign tourists; surely they would prefer to be in town.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. With a few (relatively inexpensive, I would think) changes, this could be a great place. I would start with the natchos.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank opti-wan
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to deliver your kind feedback about our hotel. I was a little surprised to read of your issues you had with your I phone as our upgraded internet access system has been so well received by our corporate guests. Our new system has significantly increased the capacity and speed of our complimentary Wi-Fi but I have taken on board your feedback and we are currently exploring the option of an extended pass for longer term stays.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon and once the new upgrade to the N2 is completed by December we will be even easier to access our hotel from the M50, Airport & Blanchardstown shopping.

Yours Sincerely,
Declan Curtis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tyrrelstown
Crowne Plaza Dublin - Blanchardstown
Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
#1 of 3 in Ashbourne
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,380 reviews

Been to Carlton Hotel Blanchardstown? Share your experiences!