“A Very Good Airport Hotel”

Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cloghran
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dublin, Ireland
“A Very Good Airport Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

I intended all along to write a positive review, although I'm quite surprised by some of the negatives here such that I'm wondering did I miss something? For my stay (one night, like most I imagine), I went for the Roof Top Suite, which wasn't really that much more than the normal rooms on offer and regardless, the hotel in general was one of the best value airport stays around Dublin Airport.

The check-in was quick and painless, the room certainly very acceptable (see pictures); very spacious, good temperature and the sound insulation such that we really weren't bothered by any aircraft noise during the night/early morning. The bathroom was palatial and very nicely done - overall very impressed with the room.

The restaurant I would (like another user) have to comment on the lack of staff and difficulty in attracting same. The difficulty in getting hold of them seems to stem to there being so few, but it's not really acceptable - I'm sure they can predict at least slightly better how many staff are realistically required on an evening.

That said, we were there to make it easy to be at the airport stress-free the next morning and it did exactly that and remained one of our favourite hotels of the whole holiday, so that says something. I would certainly stay there again if required, the rooftop suite (if you can go for it, then do) was really very nice, tasteful, and very spacious.

Check-out next morning was a breeze, into the shuttle and away within a few minutes (I don't know if there was supposed to be a schedule for that...the guy just sort of left when it seemed we had enough people?!).

Room Tip: One side of the hotel room wing appears to overlook the airport campus/runway/etc. while the other h...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
CartlonGM_, General Manager at Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review which makes for great reading. I am delighted that you had a great stay with us at the Carlton and enjoyed your stay in one of our luxurious Rooftop Suites.

The Carlton Team are also thrilled to read your feedback and we all look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Best regards

Declan Meagher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

I really wanted to ignore the bad reviews on this one, because they all sounded like so much petulant tourist fit throwing. So I decided to book a room for one night before my flight back home. Unfortunately, I soon discovered that most of the complaints against this hotel are warranted. I arrived at 5 or so past three on the shuttle, which was a few minutes late to the airport, but not overly so. I tried to check in, but I was told my room was not ready yet because they'd been very busy the night before. They did hold my luggage for me while I had a quick bite to eat in their restaurant/bar. The food was ok, nothing special. I noticed that they only had one waitress for about 10 + tables, including a large group eating for free on vouchers and being decidedly demanding. She did her very best to keep up, and I really commend her for how quickly I received my food.

When I checked into my room, no air had been turned on and the room was very warm. I quickly resolved this, turning on the AC, which unfortunately doesn't stay on for more than an hour without setting a timer. Be sure to do this!

The cleanliness of the room itself was ok, but the tub in the restroom had multiple public hairs on it. To me, this would completely unacceptable even in a one star hotel, much less a four star. One stray hair, maybe, but there were 3 total.

I came back to the hotel restaurant for dinner, lacking transport elsewhere, and decided to treat myself to a steak, which I asked to be cooked medium rare. I received the steak in a timely fashion, but it was well-done, almost burnt. Luckily, the same great waitress immediately took it back and had a new meal for me in less than 10 minutes, this time perfectly cooked. This hotel would do well to hire another 2 or 3 people like her for their restaurant (and for front reception as well, come to think of it). She was amazing, especially considering that once again for dinners she was the only waitress actually handling the floor. (Several other waiters/waitresses stood around, none of them really doing anything).

Overall, I cannot recommend this hotel. The issues outweigh any benefit of staying near the airport and having a free shuttle.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Ashley W
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review - I am disappointed to read your feedback and assure you of our best intentions at all times.

General Manger
Galway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Geat stay here, very friendly helpful staff, Lovely room, near elevator, nice furninshings, quiet room and at the airport, literally! yet no airplane noise in room. Magdalena at Breakfast was especially helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Ticked Pool by mistake
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear SpudGalway

Many thanks for your review - I am delighted that you had a super experience with us at the Carlton and that you found our team to be both friendly and professional in the manner in which they took great care of you during your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

Our expectations were not high as we knew this is an airport hotel, designed primarily for a quick stay before or after a flight (ours was before). However it did not even meet those low expectations. It's a large hotel and the one plus is its proximity to the Dublin airport. Our room was marginal in quality: I've never slept in a Murphy bed (the kind the folds up into the wall) but the bed we had looked just like a Murphy bed. The room was outdated and the bed was uncomfortable: mattress but no box spring. There was damage to the bathroom door and all of the furniture looked as though it had been rescued from a garage sale. The staff is nice and the meals that we had there were good, not great. We took the shuttle from the hotel to the airport and the driver was not helpful at all in terms of letting us know the best way to get to our terminal, or dropping us off at a place that was reasonably close. There is much room for improvement at this hotel, especially the facilities themselves, which are in dire need of an update or renovation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
CartlonGM_, General Manager at Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review which I am obviously very disappointed to read in light of the great feedback we receive on a regular basis. I am sorry that you did not enjoy every aspect of your stay and assure you that all guest feedback is used constructively to improve our overall levels of guest care and service.

I do hope you will consider the hotel again in the future.

Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

i love stay at the Carlton hotel Dublin airport the staff are always warm and willing to help no matter what the time i. the bedrooms are fantastic on my last stay i had a great view of the airport and the planes would take off right outside my bedroom that was an added bonus since i love aviation. the beds are the most comfortable i have ever slept in the bathroom are gorgeous. the food is impeccable and the hourly airport shuttle is added bonus and is a great saving on the cash strapped traveler it is great that you don,t have to pay for a taxi. the staff in this hotel is the best i have ever seen and i have been all over the world and this is why i love to stay at the Carlton hotel Dublin airport and i would not stay any where else

Room Tip: if you love aviation and like to see planes fly over head ask for room 116
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Mr Nolan

Many thanks for your review - I am delighted that you enjoy staying with us on a regular basis and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Tralee, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed for one night and would stay again. When booking in a loarge coach load of Americans were before us and thought we would be some time waiting . However an extra staff member arrived quickly and checked in those not in bus tour. Room was nice and clean and roomy. One slight dissappointment was breakfast where some items esp sausages and scrambled eggs were not as freshly cooked as we would like but as staff were extremely busy we did not want to make a fuss.
Unfortunately some guests were extremely noisy outside hotel until around 3 am. Not sure if management could do something to prevent this.

Room Tip: excellent hotel to stay in for anyone flying from Dublin Airport. Most of those staying seemed to be...
1 Thank John C
Dear John C

Thank you for your review of Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport. I am pleased that you had a good stay with us overall and thank you for your feedback in the areas which you have highlighted.

I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Newcastle upon Tyne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

The Carlton is a modern, efficient hotel located near the airport. The reception staff were very helpful and friendly. The room was very nicely decorated & the shower was great. There is a bus stop a few minutes away for easy, economical transport into Dublin itself and a free shuttle bus to & from the airport.
The breakfast buffet selection was excellent particularly if you are gluten free.
The Carlton provided a very pleasant hotel experience and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Dear Katrinaw

Many thanks for your great review - we are very pleased to read that you enjoyed the very best of Irish Hospitality at the Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport.

Declan Meagher
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cloghran
Maldron Hotel Dublin Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel, Dublin Airport
Premier Inn Dublin Airport Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Dublin Airport
Clayton Hotel Dublin Airport
Crowne Plaza Hotel Dublin Airport

Been to Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport? Share your experiences!