“Disappointing”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cloghran
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 30, 2013

To start with the positives:

1. The shuttle bus is handy. The driver was a lovely man.
2. We were allowed to check in early which was great as we had just got off a long-haul flight..
3. There is a young lady who works in the restaurant serving breakfast who is really helpful and friendly.
4. The hotel looks like it should be nice when you arrive in reception.

Sadly that's the extent of the positives.

The wifi didn't work.

The TV system didn't work fully.

I got fish and chips via room service and, without meaning to sound like I'm indulging in hyperbole, it was the worst meal I've had in years. It was supposed to be fresh fish. I don't think it was. I think it was frozen. Note that I am not a food expert, but it certainly did not taste like fresh fish to me. If I am correct, this is inexcusable when you are within spitting distance of the sea. The tartar sauce was not tartar sauce. It was garlic dip. Not nice garlic dip. Really awful garlic dip. The chips seemed to be like oven chips and they were not cooked properly. It was really, really bad.

The shower was terrible. Ran hot and cold and the pressure was all over the place. For a hotel that looks modern, the shower is very, very dated.

I have to admit that I was tired when I stayed here and as a result I simply could not be bothered to complain at the time, and I feel bad about complaining now instead of at the time, but over the past couple of weeks I have thought it through and thought it best to warn people that this place isn't that great! I don't like writing reviews like this but I was really, really disappointed particularly in view of the price - there are cheaper hotels in the area and they are better than this one.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
CartlonGM_, General Manager at Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review which I am pleased to read is mainly positive following your recent stay at the hotel. I am obviously disappointed with the less than favourable feedback in terms of certain aspects of your stay and would welcome the opportunity to discuss those issues with you in further detail. My contact email is dmeagher@carlton.ie should you wish to get in touch with me.

I fully understand the frustation experienced when a Wi-Fi service does not work correctly and assure you that the system provider has commenced a thorough health check to ensure it operates to its complete capacity.

I note your comments in relation to the quality of your room service meal and would like to assure you that only fresh fish is used in the hotel and likewise all of the accompanying sauces are made in the hotel. I have shared your feedback with the kitchen team for their information and continuous improvement processes.

I also note your comment in relation to the shower pressure in your room and assure you that I will have this issue checked by maintenance. The hotel is fortunate to have a high pressure pumped hot water system which may suggest an issue with the individual shower unit - in any case thank you for letting me know so the matter can be resolved.

I do hope you will consider choosing the hotel again in the future and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport

Write a ReviewReviews (2,053)

Reviewed January 26, 2013

The hotel location was very good, well served with buses to city center! The shuttle service works perfectly! Bad news: the room was really desapointing. Old faded furniture and carpet. The temperature control didn't work, we were freezing! But they put two portable heater in my room, very noisy though!
The bathroom was terrible! They do need a renovation urgently! This is not a 4 star hotel, never!

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport. I am disappointed to read your feedback and would love the opportunity to discuss your comments further with you. My email contact is dmeagher@carlton.ie and I do hope to hear from you.

Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport is a modern hotel which opened less than seven years ago and offers a high quality product in comforable surroundings. As part of our continued investment program the hotel will undergo a soft refurbishment later this year in order to maintain the high level of quality finish and standard that currently exists at the hotel.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We were very happy with our room and the hotel in general. The room was warm, and all the facilities and amenities met our expectations. We enjoyed eating in the restaurant. We found the hotel staff to be helpful. We would recommend this hotel. We were sent here by Air Lingus when our flight was cancelled so it is a bit far from Dublin to sightsee etc.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
CartlonGM_, General Manager at Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport. It is great to read that you had a really good time at the hotel and enjoyed all of our facilities. I am pleased to let you know that Dublin City Centre is a mere 15 minutes away by car so maybe next time you might get to visit the City Centre for sightseeing, shopping and much more.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Not the best hotel I've stayed in and only here because of delayed flights. BA obviously got a bulk discount.

Warm welcome and friendly reception.

Rooms tidy but both tired and noisy.

Wouldn't stay here out of choice but close enough to the airport in case of emergency.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Hello_Mr_Dave
CartlonGM_, General Manager at Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for you review following your brief stay at the hotel. I note your satisfaction with the most part of your stay and thank you for your feedback in relation to some aspects of the hotel.

I would be pleased to discuss any matter further with you should you wish to contact me directly by email to dmeagher@carlton.ie

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Very helpful staff at front desk, and in bar area.

Very clean room, with a very comfortable bed.

Great affordable food.

Hotel within walking distance of terminal's 1&2, but a hotel bus is also available at a cost of €1 per person.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David P

Dear Guest

Many thanks for your nice review of the hotel. I am delighted you had a great stay with us and hope to welcome you back soon. The hotel offers a Free Airport Shuttle service 24 hours a day which is renowned for providing a friendly and efficent service.

Best wishes and thanks again for you feedback.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

My flight from Dublin was cancelled and I was unable to book a different flight until the following day. Since United picked up the tab I can't comment on the price but the hotel was very clean, rooms were spacious and they had a great selection of TV channels. The shuttle to/from the airport takes 10 minutes or less. Staff were friendly although it took a long time to place an order and to be served in the onsite restaurant.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
CartlonGM_, General Manager at Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and feedback in relation to your recent stay at the hotel. I am grateful for your feedback and assure you that all feedback is used constructively to improve service levels on a continuous basis.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed in the Carlton on the 23rd of Dec as we had a very early flight the next morning. The room was very comfortable and spotless and lovely and quiet. We had great pub grub before retiring, early morning call came as planned and bus bang on time. Good start to holiday!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
CartlonGM_, General Manager at Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport. I am delighted that you had a good stay at the hotel and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Best wishes

Declan Meagher

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cloghran
Maldron Hotel Dublin Airport
Crowne Plaza Hotel Dublin Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel, Dublin Airport
1 mi away
Clayton Hotel Dublin Airport
Holiday Inn Express Dublin Airport
Hilton Dublin Airport Hotel

Been to Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport? Share your experiences!