“Airport hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne, Australia
“Airport hotel”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Stayed at this hotel due to a big rugby game at Lansdowne Road leaving no hotel vacancies in central Dublin. Although a 5 minute busride from the airport, buses only twice per hour, the hotel itself was surprisingly good. Well appointed rooms. Decent food a tad on the expensive side for what it is. Bar prices were not much more than central Dublin. They cater for weddings if you have ever dreamed of being married at an airport hotel.

1 Thank Lee D
CartlonGM_, General Manager at Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport, responded to this review, June 9, 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review following your recent stay. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us here in Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport and look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Kind regards

Declan Meagher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Polish first
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 14, 2012

A great location for this airport hotel, with an easy bus ride in the city, just cross the street on the right as you exit the hotel and wait a few minutes for the next bus. Rooms are noisy, better to take one on the parking lot side of the building. Overall, the hotel is a bit worn and could use a facelift. We stayed as result of a missed connection on Aer Lingus, so we are assuming they bring lots of people through the hotel as a result of a contact with the airlines. As is typical with a "contract hotel," food service is usually lower than most other hotels. This hotel's food service had a nice menu but the quality was considerably less that the price would indicate. I would stay again if it was a free stay as part of a missed airline connection or just needed a quick easy place to stay for a night before a flight, the shuttle was spot on! But I would look elsewhere if looking for place to stay for a night or two while touring.

Room Tip: Parking lot side may be more quiet as it faces away from the runway.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review and feedback for which I am grateful. I assure you of our commitment to continuously improving both our service and product offering at the hotel.

I do hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Yours sincerely

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed May 9, 2012

For a close-to-the-airport last night Dublin hotel, we were pleasantly surprised by this place. The service was good and the room was large and comfortable. An even better surprise was how good the restaurant was, considering you don't come here for the food. Even the breakfast was first rate. I can't believe there's any better choice in the area.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
CartlonGM_, General Manager at Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport. I am very pleased that you had a great stay with us and that you found both our service and quality of food to be fantastic.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards

Northern Ireland
Reviewed May 4, 2012

I think back when the hotel was built it may of been 4* but now I reckon its more of a 3* hotel. We didnt use any of the facilities within the hotel nor the resturant so I cannot comment on those.

Check-in was fast and efficient, we were given a room on the second floor but when we opened the door we discovered that it smelt a bit old and musty, it wasn't very good if you have asthma, etc - also this room was at the end of the corridor right beisde swinging doors which we tested; my husband went outside and swung them a few times to see what the noise was like and I could hear them in the room clear as day which would of meant no sleep for us, so we went back down to reception to ask if we could move rooms.

The guy on reception was very nice and said that this would be no problem whatsoever. We got another room on the 3rd floor, it didn't smell and wasn't near any doors or elevators so was quiet, or so we thought...this hotel is meant to be sound proofed hah no way we could hear the planes taking of and landing and we could hear an annoying beep beep beep like when a vechile is backing up, so on went the TV quite loud.

The bathroom was nice, a good size and very clean with all the little complimentary toiletires, though I did notice they didnt provide any conditioner to go with the shampoo. The towels were nice and big and thick. There were two problems with the bathroom (1) the lights were so annoying, they took about half an hour to actually light up enough to see anything so we ended up leaving them on the whole time we were these (kinda defeats the purpose of energy saving) and (2) our toilet kept running constantly, we had to put some toilet roll down it when not in use to stop the drippy noise, this wasnt too bad when the door was shut so it was liveable with.

We have stayed in other airport hotels and we noticed this one had no mini fridge so we had nowhere to put our nice proper pint of milk, though we did get a bucket of ice from downstairs. It took us a while to finally locate the tea/coofe making stuff (this was in a cupboard below the tv) - they use the silly little small cups that only give you half a cup of tea, I prefer a nice mug of tea but it was better than no tea lol.

Something I really liked was the fact that they have proper hairdyers in the rooms, none of the silly hotel ones that you have to keep the button pushed in the whole time you use it. These were proper hair dryers with good voltage so my hair was sorted in no time :)

The staff in the restaurant were very nice, although we didnt eat there they let us have a huge bucket of ice and a couple of glasses to take to our room as we had brought a feww wee drinks with us. We did order room service though and this was ok; I thought it was a bit expensive for all it was to be honest. The spring roll starters were lovely but you only got 2, they did remove all corriander for me though as I am allergic, my hubby got a big burger and chips which he said was alright, the chips were a bit overcooked and hard, which I agreed with as I also had chips, my club toastie was nice though the relish made the bread soggy on one side, oh well such is life. I will note though if you like lots of sauces/mayo you should ask for extra when ordering as we only got 2 wee satchets of red sauce and 2 of mayo which was a bit miserable.

I feel like a big complainer here but I do have one more thing to complain about - the movies. We ordered real steel to watch on the pay movie channel. We stuck it on at dinner time and it was a great wee movie though it started to jump here and there, a staff member came to have a look and fiddled with some wires, after he left it was ok for about 5 mins and started jumping and freezing again, we rang reception and they said they would reset our unit because sometimes that helps, this took a further 15 minutes for them to do and when the system rebooted we had to rebuy the movie, we checked with reception and it had charged us again so they took it off our bill the second time. Anyways all was good for about ten mins and then it started going mental again so we had to phone reception and just get them to turn the movie off and remove it from our bill altogether as it was unwatchable, it was not the staff's fault and to their merit they said no problem and this was done instantly with no charge to us.

I will say for all the noise in the daytime with airplanes and such it was super quiet at night I had a great sleep at this hotel and didnt wake until the wake-up call arrived which may I add was perfectly on time (4am yuk! lol). I have slept in comfier beds but I wont complain because I had a good few hours sleep and didnt wanna get up!

We got ready and made sure we had taken everything with us and went down to reception - checkout took a matter of seconds and we went out to the complimentary shuttle to take us to their airport - this is a nice touch as a lot of other hotels charge for this service, though I will point out if you need to use this transport book it as soon as you can because they fill up fast, they run every 30 minutes but theres only roughly 8 to 10 seats as its a mini bus. We had to get a slightly earlier one than we wanted as the other was fully booked but this was no problem as we then had a big fry up in the airport :)

All in all the hotel is old, the staff are fab and the free shuttle is a lovely wee touch. I still wouldnt stay here again due to the food not being as nice as other hotels, no mini fridge, problems with things like tv/toilet. The few problems we had outweighed the nice sleep I had lol.

Room Tip: suite all have balconys, though you prob wont need one with Irish weather lol
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
CartlonGM_, General Manager at Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your recent review of carlton Hotel Dublin Airport. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay overall with us and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Moira, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I stayed here on a Saturday evening in one of their 3rd floor suites. Nice room, friendly staff and easy access to the city Centre by Taxi. The suite was nice, with a balcony.Breakfast selection was quite good also. Had a very enjoyable stay and would have no hesitation recommending it.

Room Tip: Well worth checking for an upgrade to a suite.
Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for your review - I am delighted that you found everything to be satisfactory during your recent visit to the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

United States
Reviewed May 2, 2012

This was a very good way to end our tour. No hassle or long ride to the airport. The hotel is aging but comfortable. Rooms and bath big but threadbare. Staff polite and helpful. Good shuttle to the airport and car return areas. Poor breakfast compared to all the 14 before it.

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review of Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport. I am not sure what you are referring to when you say our hotel is "aging". As the newest hotel at Dublin Airport it is far from "aging" and there is most certainly no "threadbare" rooms or bathrooms in our luxurious and modern property. Perhaps you are mistaking the 4 Star Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport with one of the other properties?

In any case please do give the Carlton a try next time you are visiting Dublin - you will not be disappointed.

Declan Meagher
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cloghran
Maldron Hotel Dublin Airport
Premier Inn Dublin Airport Hotel
Clayton Hotel Dublin Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel, Dublin Airport
Crowne Plaza Hotel Dublin Airport
Holiday Inn Express Dublin Airport

Been to Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport? Share your experiences!