“Fantastic Hotel”

Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dunboyne
Reviewed February 15, 2011

Stayed in Dunboyne Castle for Valentines. Check in staff were very friendly & welcoming. I had booked a fantastic offer through their facebook page for a nights stay b & b for €59/room, fantastic price & especially for Valentines night, as far as I no this offer is on until the end of March except Sat nights. Anyway the day before we went I put a message up on their facebook page asking if there would be any chance of an upgrade and they upgraded us to an executive room, which I thought was very nice of them considering I was already getting such a great offer to start with! The room was large & bright with big beds but the only down side for me is I'm not a great fan of single beds been put together and having the spilt down the middle of the mattress. Bathroom was nice with a spacious powerful shower and also a bath. Breakfast was buffet style with plenty to choose from. We didnt have time to try out the spa but will defo return again. Thanks for a great nights stay : )

Reviewed February 8, 2011

Amazing location for a romantic anniversary. Everything from the front desk staff at check in, the standard of the bedrooms, service in the restaurant and friendliness of the staff was amazing. The staff at Dunboyne Castle really know how to make you feel like you are the only guest in the Hotel. Really looking forward to returning soon.

Reviewed February 6, 2011

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here after getting a voucher on citydeal for a night away. We stayed on the ground floor, the room was very nice only downside was because we were on the ground floor we were given a handy-capible room so the bathroom was like a wet room rather than a bath/shower combo - this wouldnt have been an issue except the floor isnt slanted enough so the water went everywhere in the bathroom and stayed wet aside from where the actual shower is which dried, the water then leaked out onto the carpet leaving us with a soggy patch on the carpet!We explained this at reception when we were checking out - we had to bring it up ourselves as the receptionist didn't actually ask us if we enjoyed our stay which I would have assumed would be a natural thing at checkout.
The village is very small but nice, if it hadnt have been raining we would have walked down for dinner and back up later however we had typical irish weather so that was a no to that!We asked for a taxi down to the village and one of the receptionists in the hotel said he was going down to the village and was bringing another couple down who were staying in the hotel so instead of calling a taxi he just brought us down which was very handy. After dinner (the restaurents don't really do late settings by the way, we went down at 9.30 and could only go to an italien as the mint leaf across the road had closed the kitchen which we thought was a bit early for a sat night) and drinks in one of the pubs we decided to make our way back to the hotel and the taxi man we got told us that there was a nightclub in the hotel which we then went to - people staying in the hotel could def not compain about the noise coming from the hotel though cause we certainly wouldnt have known it was there aside from the taxi man telling us!No offence to the people of dunboyne but we did feel like we were in an eposide of my big fat gypsey wedding though the clientelle were not the best, as we were leaving one of the bar staff was been looked at by a bouncer for being head butted by some guy who had a few to many drinks on them.....!
The breakfast the next day though let the stay down, we decided to treat ourselves and get room service and they forgot some of the items we asked for and it also was not the warmest.
We decided to make the most of the weekend and did the late checkout called devet day which ment for 30e you could stay until 6 which was great, made it feel like we were away for two days and not just the one night!

Reviewed February 3, 2011

We arrived last weekend for a one night spa break with some girlfriends - 8 of us in total.
Some of the party tried to check in on arrival at 12.30pm but only one of our rooms was available at that time. That was no problem - we were told that the other rooms were being prioritised and would be available asap. So we had lunch, then another room was available and we all went for our spa treatments.
I had a facial which is on the treatment list as 55 mins in duration. I was taken by the therapist to the treatment room at 1.55pm & was finished at 2.35pm. While the facial was very enjoyable and the spa setting very nice, I feel a little more than shortchanged at this shortened treatment.
A number of hours later we returned to reception to check in at 4.45pm. We were told there were still no rooms available!! They would be ready 'shortly'. Following a complementary coffee & sandwich we finally checked in to our rooms at 6pm. This is totally unacceptable. We were away for one night only, still had our luggage with us and 6pm check-in is more than disappointing.
We had dinner that evening where the service was just as disappointing. The waiter didn't know the 'specials' or the soup etc & had to be asked a number of times to bring items like more bread/butter etc. Sideplates & bread baskets were still on the table at dessert. Simple basics to me??
On check out I waited to be asked about my stay which is normally common practice but was never asked. So I made these comments to the receptionist who apologised and told me there was a wedding & conference at the hotel that weekend. Surely these events were booked many months in advance & should have been staffed accordingly?
Dunboyne Castle is a beautiful looking hotel but the service it provides most definitely does not live up to its appearance.
I was very disappointed with my stay here.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank oneillgillian
Reviewed January 22, 2011

I was whisked away by my girlfriend last weekend to this hotel as part of my Xmas present to be fed, watered and massaged! A very thoughtful gift as I had never had a professional massage before. Hotel looks great, very well maintained from the gates up to the entrance (you'd swear you were alot further from Dublin then you actually are.
The hotel it's self seemed to be run quite well, we arrived on Sat afternoon and there was a great buzz around the place and the car park was packed which is always a good sign. The room was a notch above the general hotel room standard as it had a walk-in shower and a bath, mini-bar, full size iron/ing board, tv channels (that actually worked), large wardrobe and a safe.

We dined in the Ivy Brasserie sat night and it was very very nice, We gorged on fillet steak, turbot et al, it was also packed to the rafters but the service was nothing short of excellent. Our courses arrived like clockwork at just the perfect time, the price was also very reasonable (sorry if I cannot be more specific but I had wine taken :D ). Before and after dinner we drank in the Sadlier Bar and this is where I must regrettably put a negative in as we found trying to get a drink quite a difficult task. Before dinner the bar was virtually empty, I stood at the bar and was passed by 6times without an acknowledgment and what made things more frustrating was I couldnt figure out what the staff were doing that was more important then serving the customer.
To de-stress from this we spent the majority of the next day in the spa, very nice all round. The thermal suite caters for everyone with a nice pool, outdoor hot tub, steam/sauna/heat/cold rooms and free coffee, tea and juice to be had. Our massages were great, I was floating on a cloud afterwards.

The Sunday night we ate in the Sadlier Bar however, even though there were different people behind the bar the service was just as bad! I went to the bar, ordered drinks and two burgers, was told to take a seat as they'd be dropped down to my table....10mins later there was no sign of the drinks, I went to the bar to enquire and the barmaid exclaimed; "oh you want the drinks now!". I mean this was basic stuff to be getting wrong. To round things off the burgers were not made fresh, they were rubbery and delivered luke warm.

Overall, the hotel really lives up to the 4stars. The bar is a rubbing point for sure, I would have not mentioned only we had two unpleasant experiences in a row so it does highlight an issue. We will be back but we'll stroll down town for barfood.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zadien
Reviewed January 22, 2011

Arrived late afternoon on a Sunday to stay for two weeks. The staff were friendly enough, but seemed very unmotivated, and almost bored. I got the feeling that they only wanted to get rid of me. The room was large and nice. However I had some problems with the electrics. It kept switching off regularly, so I hade to go to the electric cabinet to turn it on again. The Internet connection and TV didn't work. Fairly remote location.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank BobReh
Reviewed January 17, 2011

My boyfriend an I went to Dunboyne hotel & spa fpr a relaxing weekend Had a lovely time. The staff were friendly and helpful.
We both had a great day in the spa, very relaxing loved the outdoor hot tub and the heated beds. Did not want to leave. We both also got full body massage done, which were great. The only suggestion if I can make to help improve your service. I had my massage on the bottom floor, which is at pool level. There is a sign on the door saying please be quite as treatments are progress, but you also have lounger beds under the sign. Of course there will be people chatting as they relax on these beds. And the last 15 mins of my massage females were chatting ang laughing loudly. The therapist was lovely and suggested I complain. Just saying the lounger beds outside the treatment rooms are in a very bad position.
Also the juice bar was not been replinished when we went in for a juice there was nothing there but water and the area was quite untidy.
All in all the staff, spa was great. Had a lovely relaxing time, and would definitely go back.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunboyne
Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
#1 of 3 in Ashbourne
Knightsbrook Hotel & Golf Resort
The Johnstown Estate Hotel
Carton House Hotel & Golf Club
Crowne Plaza Dublin - Blanchardstown
Trim Castle Hotel

Been to Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa? Share your experiences!