Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
Castleknock Hotel(Castleknock)
2,035 results
All reviewsbar downstairslovely hoteloutdoor jacuzzifull body massagethermal suitesteam roomrelaxation roomivy restaurantsteakrelaxing staydublin cityafternoon teafood was lovelybar foodweekend breakcouldn't faultstayed for one night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 21, 2013

A friend and I availaed of a special offer for 1 nights B&B with an evening meal in Dunboyne Castle Hotel recently. It was a very pleasant stay.

We were assigned a very nice spacious twin room as requested (although this did have to be clarified at reception), both beds were larger than a standard single bed and this made for a comfortable nights sleep. We enjoyed the facilities of the thermal spa and the meal provided offered sufficient choice and was good quality.

Breakfast was satisfactory, but I am not a fan of buffet breakfasts so won't ever be raving about one! There was a problem with our keycards when we tried to get back into our room (the battery in the lock had run out of power) but the staff members were all very helpful and sorted the issue.

I would definitely return should another similar offer be made available.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
ElisabetDiaz, General Manager at Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear Pretzel12
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review. It is much appreciated.
I'm sorry to hear of the problem you encountered with the key cards but thankfully it was rectified.
Regarding the buffet breakfast, I appreciate your comments. Alternative items such as fried eggs and pancakes are always available on request. I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed our spa facilities and I do hope that you left feeling refreshed and revitalised.
Again thank you for your feedback and we would be delighted to welcome you back in the near future

Reviewed August 20, 2013

The hotel is brilliant! We stayed for 3 nights mid August and enjoyed it very much!

All the staff we encountered we're helpful and friendly, nothing was too much for them which is very nice.

The hotel and room were perfectly clean and tidy, we were very happy! The bed was so comfy (and I normally struggle to get comfy in hotel beds, but this was fab!) the view from the room was pretty enough (gardens) and the balcony was nice to get some fresh air in the room.

It was lovely to have a separate bath and shower. The bath was lovely and long (my other half is 6'2" so it isn't often he can lay down as much in the bath as he could in this one!) and the shower cubical was lovely and big with plenty of room!

We didn't use the spa part of the hotel as this was our first time in Ireland so we were off exploring a lot, but it all looked very nice.

If you read that there is a club open on sat nights, do not let this put you off, we never heard or saw a thing. It did not effect us at all, to the point we didn't even know it was there until Sunday when we just happened to notice the door! :-)

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor, it was very quick in the lift and nice and quiet!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
ElisabetDiaz, General Manager at Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear E46_Fanatic .

Thank you very much for your positive feedback on your recent stay. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay, and that you found all aspects to your satisfaction.
I do hope you will come back and stay with us again when next in the area.
Kind regards
Elisabet Diaz

Reviewed August 19, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here last week on a two night break with breakfast and one dinner. On arrival we were suitably impressed with the location and the drive in to the hotel.
Whilst it is not a castle in the typical sense the original manor house building is very impressive, it is a pity however this area is not utilised as one of the main areas for more guests rather than function facilities etc.
We arrived about 7 in the evening and were swiftly checked in by a pleasant member of reception staff, handed our room keys and given sufficient directions on where to find the room however it would have been nice to have been shown to our rooms and facilities and their location explained as most other hotels of this rating do.
With regards to the room we were very happy, we had booked a standard room and were on the red side. The room was big enough with a small balcony overlooking the gardens at the fountain which was lovely, a good sized bathroom with separate shower and bath, tea & coffee facilities and the usual tv, hairdryer etc. The only complaints about the room would have been that the 'double' was in fact two singles pushed together with a large ridge right in the middle of the bed which was painful if you lay on it and the temperature in the room at night proved sleeping a problem as the air con is too loud to leave on overnight.
We had dinner in the Ivy restaurant on both nights and had breakfast on our first morning and the service was awful. On the first night we arrived and I explained I had a reservation, the lady seating us stared at the list, shook her head and explained she didn't have us on her list despite me being able to quite clearly see my name on the list but it had been crossed out. I pointed it out to her and she pointed across the restaurant to a table and we were left to seat minus menus(??) A few other couples came in just after us and they were shown to their tables and given menus etc, after another few minutes of waiting without menus, one couple who came in after us had actually had their order taken, I had to ask a waitress for these! The food itself was beautiful but the experience was let down by the poor restaurant service, abrupt waiting staff and the tables being very very close together.
We had a few cocktails in the lobby bar which were lovely and delivered to our table by a very helpful barman, the restaurant staff could learn a thing from him.
The next morning we arrived for breakfast 20 minutes before the end of serving and again experienced such poor service. Again we asked for a table and the girl took our room number, she again pointed to a table and we were left to seat ourselves. A couple came in after us and were shown to their table and an order taken for tea or coffee. We sat for another 5 minutes or so and after no one came near us to take an order I had to ask the staff for coffee. Breakfast was ok, fairly standard.
We found the spa very nice and would definitely use it again despite the additional charge.
We ordered room service breakfast for our last morning as we didn't fancy the surly restaurant staff again and would definitely recommend as there are a few additional breakfast options. Everything was delivered to our room piping hot and was very enjoyable.

Overall this hotel is good but the level of service in the restaurant needs improved. It appears to be used during the week primarily by business guests which is good if you are using the spa as it is quiet however the business guests take over various parts of the hotel in the evening having presentations complete with flip charts etc. I would return for the spa and location however I would probably not have dinner again in the Ivy restaurant.

Tip: Do not book the spa pass until you know if you are having treatments as access is included once you have booked any treatment.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Claire M

Dear Heartthespa69
Thanks for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read your positive comments regarding the room, your welcome at reception and the quality of food and bar service. However I am very disappointed to read that your dining experience was not an entirely positive one and particularly disappointed to see your comments regarding our staff in The Ivy being rude and unwelcoming.

I would like to discuss this further with you and speak to our restaurant manager regarding the issues you experienced , as we continuously strive to provide quality service but I feel on this occasion we did not succeed .

I would ask that you contact me directly to discuss in more detail - if you have the time, please email me on ediaz@dunboynecastlehotel.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed at his hotel for 2 nghts. The location was so quite as it's off the main road. The room was clean & spacious,bed comfortable even the bathroom is quite big enough with seperate bath & shower.Breakfast was excellent,different choices from sweet to savoury. The staffs are pleasant. I'll definetly come back & will recomend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
ElisabetDiaz, General Manager at Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear phoenix_759
Many thanks for your wonderful review of your recent stay with us. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your visit and that everything was to your satisfaction. Many thanks also for your lovely feedback on our staff, I will pass on your comments to the rest of the team.
I do hope you will come and stay with us again in the future

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Myself, my partner and my 20month old daughter stayed here on a bank holiday Monday! The Hotel was very busy, it didnt stop for the duration of our stay. The staff were very very nice and helpful. Some even took time out of their day to play with my little girl. We had a lovely stay and I would go back. The only thing I would say is I dont think it deserves a 4*.and we couldnt bring my little girl swimming they said no children allowed in the pool area which was a bummer.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear 40Spain
Many thanks for taking the time to contact the Hotel with your comments. I appreciate the effort it takes to do so, and guest feedback is vital in our business as we strive to continually improve the level of service we offer to you our guest. I am delighted you enjoyed your visit to Dunboyne Castle Hotel & Spa and will pass on your positive feedback to the relevant staff.

In relation to your comment regarding the Spa and its access for Adults Only. The facilities we offer as a Four Star Hotel are Spa Facilities and not Leisure Facilities.

Our facilities mentioned are available to over 16’s and offer a tranquil and relaxing atmosphere and this is clearly specified on our website and spa brochure.

In relation to the 4 star grading, we are annually reviewed and continue complying with the regulations for registration and current classification.

We do take your constructive comments on board and where necessary we encourage families who stay with us to use the National Aquatic centre as it is only a short distance away.

Again, I would like to thank you for your feedback and hope that you will come back to visit us again soon.