“Cool Ireland Experience!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dunboyne
Chicago, Illinois
“Cool Ireland Experience!”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Dunboyne Castle is a great place to visit - good restaurant, nice coffee cafe, great rooms, nice spa, and good location. Front desk was great - full of suggestions. You can walk to the local town, which has lovely cafes, bars, shops, and places to explore. Lot of debutantes have their formal there so there is good people watching opportunities!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
ElisabetDiaz, General Manager at Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear deRiz
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us during your trip to Ireland. Many thanks for taking the time to post a review.
I will pass on your lovely feedback to all of the team and I hope you will come back to visit us if you are ever in this part of the world again.
Elisabet Diaz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
WH IRL
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Have stayed on two occassion's in this property, first time was so enjoyable I returned with my sister for a second treat before Christmas. Again another enjoyable stay up to the point when we went to the restaurant for our inclusive evening meal, to be informed that dinner was not included. I was disappointed to hear this as when I stayed with my husband the previous July dinner was included as stated on the website which I booked the deal through, it was an excellent deal hence I booked it again. I explained to the restaurant manager and asked if the particular website could be checked to verify what I was saying was indeed the case and that I wasn't trying to scam a free meal cause at that point this is how I was being made to feel. No-one would check the website or the deal I was referring to. We had the early bird menu and was advised to discuss the matter with the duty manager at check out. Hence after the debate our appetites were gone and did not enjoy the remainder of our stay. The debate continued at check-out until i insisted the manager check the website and after 12 hours I was able to rest my case as there it was in black n white "Dinner Included" I sent a detailed letter to Mr Shane Cookman - Group general manager, at the end of November and to date I have received no response. I am disappointed to say the least and doubt very much I'll be returning to this property again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ACK1975
ElisabetDiaz, General Manager at Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear ACK1975
Thank you got taking the time to post a review following your recent stay.
I have looked into your comments with our management team. On this occasion the website which you had booked your stay through was wrong and said that dinner was included when it wasn’t. The website have since removed this error.
We did also receive your letter which was passed to our Front of House Manager, who had been dealing with the issue at the time of your stay. The letter was indeed responded to by post, I am unsure why you don't seem to have received this.
We very much regret your disappointment however I hope this clarifies matters for you somewhat.
We do hope you will come and visit us again in the near future.
Drogheda
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Just got back from an overnight stay at a wedding on Jan 5th. The hotel is pretty close to Blanchardstown Shopping Centre and there seemed to be quite a few groups of ladies with shopping bags obviously making a shopping weekend of it!!
The Spa is gorgeous, warm, clean and well maintained. We stayed in the executive room and it was gorgeous,modern clean and very well maintained . We didn't make breakfast the next morning, but we did have some lunch, and the food was gorgeous and very reasonable.
All in all, would have absolutely no problems recommending this hotel, or staying again.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear ChrisA380
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay, and also for your very positive feedback. It really is extremely encouraging to read comments such as yours, I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that every aspect was great.
Please don't leave it too long before you come and visit us again!
Ireland
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Attended a family wedding on fri 4th jan at. Dunboyne Castle. From the moment we checked in the staff made a special effort to give excellent service . Food was top class, very well presented. Drinks in Bar were a little on expensive side . On Saturday morning when we were leaving we meet a waiter in corridor serving breakfast . He immediately asked if we enjoyed our stay and did we find everything up to standard.

Nothing negative to add

• Stayed January 2013
ElisabetDiaz, General Manager at Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear PandCWmeath

Thank you so much for your very kind feedback following your recent attendance at a wedding here in Dunboyne Castle. Our team prides themselves on a high level of customer service, therefore it is great to receive commendations such as yours.
Regarding the drinks prices, we feel our pricing is in line with other 4 star hotels in the area.
Again thank you for taking the time to review your stay and we hope you will come back and see us again soon.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Attended a wedding here. The staff on reception were very helpful and the reception area is nice. The room was clean and nice but quite a walk from the stairs/lift (down a very long corridor). However, in the bathroom there was a large crack in the middle of the handbasin, very offputting and the toilet seat was fitted so that it sat to one side of the bowl. I had a shower and found the water warm but not hot which I would have preferred.

The wedding was excellent, the food was good but not outstanding. The service at dinner was good and I was amused by the staffs request that I cross my cutlery in front of me so that they could easily figure out where the vegetarian was sitting!

Breakfast was very average with the hash browns tasting as if they had been there for several days, chewy and unappetising.

I did not try the spa pool as I felt it was unfair to request an additional payment of 10 euro to use the pool as I had already paid over a hundred euro for the room. It is, in fairness, 10 euro per stay, but just gives you access to the pool and tub, an unreasonable extra. I was tempted to order room service but noted that, in addition to the cost of the food, there was a 'plate' charge of (I think another 10 euro but it could have been 5) which I considered excessive also.

All in all, although the staff were friendly and the room was comfortable, I would not return here. I feel there is much better value to be had for the money.

Room Tip: Perhaps a room at the very end of a corridor would be quieter even though it would be a good walk. L...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Stitcherkf
Dear Stitcherkf
Thank for you taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Although your comments are mixed, it is important for us to receive feedback such as yours so that we can improve.
I'm very sorry that you were not happy with certain aspects of your stay, and disappointed to hear this since the feedback we receive is, on the whole, extremely positive.
Regarding the charge for the thermal suite, we feel that to maintain the standards throughout the facility and to better manage the number of people who wish to use the thermal suite, the charge is necessary. We believe that €10 per room per stay is good value for the facilities on offer. Some other properties with spas in Ireland also charge for use of their thermal suites.
A room service tray charge would also be typical throughout the hotel industry.
Again thank you for your constructive feedback and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
babylove1979
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Another return visit to the stunning Dunboyne Hotel (this time, with the husband as opposed to the girls) & once again I was not disappointed. The hotel is set in the most beautiful grounds and our triple room was huge, wonderfully comfortable and spotlessly clean (a priority for me!)

There’s free wi-fi in the main hotel, which is an added bonus and a beautiful spa, which I would definitely recommend.

We had all our meals in the restaurant and were spoilt for choice food-wise for dinner. The service was fantastic (another deal-breaker for me!) and the staff were so friendly and helpful. The whole atmosphere was chilled out yet professional – just what we wanted for a perfect get-away.

The breakfasts are to die for – with so many options on offer and again the staff were only too happy to oblige our request for pancakes and other delights that took our fancy.. and always with a smile on their face (I was shocked at how many tables staff had to handle at extremely busy breakfast times)…. and it’s that level of service that makes Dunboyne stand out and made the holiday for us.

Whether like me, you’re going for a romantic break or girlie getaway – Dunboyne Castle has it all, I’ll be back again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear babylove1979
I was delighted to read your wonderful feedback following your recent repeat visit to Dunboyne Castle Hotel & Spa. It is great to receive such positive comments, and we are thrilled that you returned to us once again. We sincerely appreciate your business.
I will pass on your kind words to the team and we hope to welcome you back again very soon.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I recently booked a night to stay in Dunboyne over the christmas break after hearing good reviews from friends and this site . On the day of the stay I woke up with a very bad dose of the flu and had to cancel. My partner rang up to see if we could change it to another date but because it was the day we couldnt and had to pay a cancellation fee of half our stay which was €98.00 which is a bit much. No one minds paying a cancellation fee but i have never had to pay this much .

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DM2223
ElisabetDiaz, General Manager at Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear DM2223
Thank you for your feedback, which we have investigated.
As your cancellation was on the day of your arrival, you were inside the cancellation period which would have been explained at the time of reservation. We actually only charged half of the fee as a gesture of goodwill, even thought it should have been the whole charge. Furthermore, if you had of rescuduled the booking to another date, we would have gladly moved the booking for you at no charge at all.
I hope this clarifies the situation. We hope you will come and visit us in the future.
Elisabet Diaz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunboyne
Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
#1 of 3 in Ashbourne
Knightsbrook Hotel & Golf Resort
Carton House Hotel & Golf Club
Crowne Plaza Dublin - Blanchardstown
Trim Castle Hotel
The Johnstown Estate Hotel

Been to Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa? Share your experiences!