“The view is awesome!”

The Cottage in the Wood
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Malvern Wells
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Had a great one night stay and dinner. The room was a bit dated but the view is outstanding. Bathroom was excellent and loads of hot running water in the rainfall shower. We sat with a bottle of wine just taking in the scenery then had dinner in the restaurant. The food was 10 out of 10, very fine dining indeed. Service was impeccable with a very wide selection of wines. We will be going back for sure. The breakfast was lovely too, all local produce, cooked to perfection.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Scott F
Pattinfamily, Owner at The Cottage in the Wood, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

Awesome indeed! I was gazing across the valley this morning (until my wife called me in to help and do some work!) - a beautiful, sunny almost summer like day - and agreed it is awesome even after 27 years. In this case familiarity does not lead to contempt! We are of course delighted you enjoyed your stay and the food too. Thanks for taking the trouble to post a review. We'll be here to welcome you back.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

We stayed at The Cottage in Feb, having booked through Living Social deals. The hotel was clean and very small, the bar area was very quiet and lacked atmosphere. It was more like a nursing home than a bar/restaurant. The food was uninspiring and over-priced.
The biggest let down however, was the room- very old, tired furniture that looked like junk shop finds topped with glass. The decor was like an old person had decorated it 20 years ago and the noise from the rooms above kept us awake. The staff were however very polite and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank SomersetBilly64
Pattinfamily, Owner at The Cottage in the Wood, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

It is always very disappointing to hear from a guest who did not enjoy their stay and I'm sorry that you did not enjoy the occasion. However, I'm always keen to read reviews in which we either "ring all the bells" or at the other extreme fail completely as in your case. Neither are entirely credible in my view. I assume you researched our web site before booking with the Living Social deal where you can see each room in the hotel. You also mention over priced food but failed to mention that with your deal you received a £20 discount which brings the price down to bog standard pub prices. I have to add that the last "terrible" review we got was in September 2012 and of your three Trip Advisor reviews to date, two were "terrible" and one "poor".

Reviewed April 3, 2014

I booked a Celebration Break at the Cottage in the Wood for my parents.

They have just returned, and in particular praised the comfort of their room, the friendliness of the staff, and the presentation of the food. The hotel also benefits from an excellent location, with matchless views.

I hope to visit myself one day.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Pattinfamily, Front Office Manager at The Cottage in the Wood, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2014

I'm very pleased to hear the feedback from your parents. What a nice idea as a present. When my father was still alive and birthday or Christmas loomed and I asked him what he'd like he always used to say "consumables only". ie he had all the rest of what he needed especially having downsized. We hope you will visit yourself one day and we'll look froward to welcoming you.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

my children bought us this from Social Living as a christmas present. It was one of the best hotels we have stayed in. Super location and views. Room spotless and food fab with excellent service and a family-run atmosphere We had a lovely walk up the Malverns from the hotel after a full English breakfast. We stayed in the Pinnacles . The room was far better than the pictures on the internet. I was expecting the room to be smaller from the pictures. Thank you Jane and Keith Duggan

1  Thank jane D
Pattinfamily, Owner at The Cottage in the Wood, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2014

Hallo Mr and Mrs Duggan. Delighted you enjoyed your stay and you are another who has benefited from the break as a present. It's a lovely idea. Very pleased you enjoyed the food and the family feel of the place. Hope you will return one day.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We only had 1 night there, but it was great.
Great location for walks, and the views in decent weather.
We were taken by surprise with the excellent service, and quality of the evening meal.
Beware of the full English, it's huge !
The staff really could not do enough for us, thank you.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gary B

Thank you for your review. I note that you were surprised by the excellent service and good food. I wondered if it was because of poor standards you'd suffered elsewhere or whether your expectations were well and truly exceeded. If the latter, we lived up to the standards we always aim to achieve. As for breakfast, at least it set you up for the day!

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We stayed for 4 nights on a half board basis earlier this month. Splendid location with a view that's everything others say about it. Rooms spotless and quiet and the family-run atmosphere works well though we encountered at least 10 different members of staff. The food was very good and we enjoyed our meals . However, the drawback for us was that the menu is a set one for about 6 weeks at a time , I believe. After 2 days this begins to pall. If one fancied fish again it's exactly the same fish as before. We would prefer a daily changing menu with choice which other hotels like this manage to offer This is the kind of place where one could easily spend a week as there is so much to do in the area: walking, music, theatre, interesting places to visit but I couldn't recommend a stay of more than 2 or 3 nights because of the menu.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

I read your comments carefully and I thank you for them. We have tailored our business to meet the needs of short break takers but I take your point, we may be denying ourselves the longer stay business. There is I submit, plenty of choice on the menu with two fish, several meat dishes and vegetarian options. We also have a menu for coeliac sufferers too. As for 10 members of staff, we are a team and as long as the ethos of the place and the standards are maintained, it matters not whether it's 2, 5, 10 or more. it's all part of the challenge of running a 365 days of the year business.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

This is an impressive hotel with such beautiful views and one of the best we have stayed in. Service is impeccable from when you arrive to check in to the service in the restaurant and throughout. We really couldn't find fault with the reception or welcome.
Our room was really lovely in the Pinnacles and the view was well worth it. It was situated in a very quiet part of the Pinnacles and we found this very restful as my husband was recovering from surgery.
Our dinner was presented well and very tasty and I certainly recommend the fish dish I had. Breakfast was sumptious with a variety of continental and cooked.
The only thing we missed was our Sunday newspaper with our tea and there was no fresh milk in the corridor fridge.
We look forward to visiting again and again.
Our thanks to Mr and Mrs Pattin and the family for making our stay so restful and enjoyable. Please do pass on our best wishes to all the staff.

Room Tip: Room 35 - spacious, quiet, beautiful view and lovely decor - this will be our favourite room for nex...