“Super birthday treat”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Malvern Wells
Worcestershire England
“Super birthday treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

We stayed here for my birthday (a special one) at the end of January. We had a lovely room in the Pinnacles - shame about the promised views - the mist never cleared! However the room was extremely comfortable and both the dinner and breakfast were excellent. The staff were all charming. We look forward to a return visit preferably when the weather has improved.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Pattinfamily, Owner at The Cottage in the Wood, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
A belated happy birthday to you. I'm close to a significant birthday which is always an excuse for a way to mark the occasion, so I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I'm of course pleased that the things we can control were all enjoyed but that certain thing that controls the views called the weather we cannot!!! Thank you for taking the trouble to post a review.
John

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Tokyo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

We had a lovely room with fantastic views with a balcony. The room was very clean and comfortable. The room was very well equiped. The staff were excellent and very welcoming.
My only criticism was the over cooked and tough pheasant at dinner. I was not able to cut through it. My mother was not able to eat hers either. Offering a wider selection of fish would be a bonus. Generally the quality of food was very good.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Pinnacles at the front are very nice on the 1st and 2nd floors as they have the best vi...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
I'm sorry the pheasant was tough. It shouldn't be and I hope we changed it for something else. The problem with Trip Advisor reviews is the anonymity which is their rule but does limit us putting things right if the situation calls for it. And sometimes it does, no matter how hard we try to be as near 100% as is possible. You you also mentioned "more fish". We usually have two fish dishes available at dinner and very often will carry another fish on the lunch menu. I'll discuss the practicality of carrying more fish . What we don't want is having to freeze down fresh fish because it hasn't sold. Thank you for recommending us, that's encouraging and thank you for the comments in your review.
Altrincham, Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

This is a friendly, family-run hotel perched high up in the hill behind Malvern. Once you get there (sharp turn up a narrow road) you are rewarded with wonderful views. On a clear day you can indeed see for miles and miles - on a lovely summer's evening it must be a fantastic spot to just sit (perhaps with a glass of something) and contemplate the beautiful landscape - even in January it is pretty spectacular.

Inside, the hotel has a cosy bar for a pre-dinner drink and after-dinner coffee - and in-between the dinner itself in the Outlook Restaurant (from which of course you can indeed look out) is of a very high standard, with the service being both courteous and efficient. The hotel has deservedly won awards for its food. My only suggestion would be the addition of more vegetarian dishes (signposted as such) to the menu, as this would perhaps broaden its appeal. Chef is obviously so capable that I can't imagine creating new dishes would be a problem.

Our room in the Pinnacles was comfortable and had everything we needed - plus a view. Wi fi there was too slow for us internet addicts but fine in the main building.

And of course, although only a few hours separated their consumption, after our lovely evening meal we also managed to eat a hearty breakfast - which if we'd been planning walk further up the hill, would have been a great start to the day. Thank you - a most enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: The rooms in the Pinnacles have great views. Stay in the main part of the hotel if you need busines...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Yes and yes! Yes, the approach is narrow but that's what we have to pay for our remarkable location high on the hill.Yes too, the views and general location are very special on a lovely warm summer day. Roll on the summer! I note your comments about vegetarian dishes. We'll take them on board. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and I'd like to thank you for posting the review.
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

Booked 1 night DBB and we were absolutely bowled over with the menu and wine list. The dinner was first class and every mouthful a joy! Probably the best dinner enjoyed in years. Bedroom very comfortable but classy and staff friendly and professional throughout. Can't wait to come back for a repeat performance. Well done Cottage in the Wood and thank you.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main house which was perfect but as you'll see from the website - all the rooms...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
I'm so pleased you were "bowled over" by the menu and wine choice. I'm only sorry that our bowlers couldn't bowl over the Aussies! (Thank goodness for the girls!) but I digress. Dominic (my son and head chef) is particularly pleased with your comment about your dinner and thanks you for it. Very pleased to read you will return. Thank you for the review.
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

I am a student who likes to travel on his own, especially to places which command stunning views, a healthy dose of nature, and some silence & solitude. The popularity of the Malvern Hills even in mid-winter notwithstanding, my stay at The Cottage for five nights was nothing short of delightful.

The best thing is obviously the location, nested right above Malvern Wells, equidistant from both the Herefordshire & the Worcestershire Beacons. The hotel itself has great views over the Severn Valley, and even if you can get a room with a partial view, go for it. I stayed in the smallest room in the hotel, and had a wonderful time. The rooms were tastefully decorated, neither vulgarly modern nor nostalgically chic.

The staff were for the most part kind, courteous, and made me feel entirely welcome. No awkwardness on account of my solitude, no intrusive questions asked. Where possible, they gave me a table with a view, and offered me their considered thoughts when asked. I am a vegetarian, and the chef took particular trouble so that I didn't have to eat the same dish everyday -- something for which I am very grateful. They offer packed lunches, if you want to spend the day at the hills.

I can only envy those who can afford to stay here in the summer, and at one of the larger, more spacious rooms. But, for those who seek good food, a place to crash, good service, and most of all, access to the Malverns, this place is as good as it will get.

Tip: Those relying on public transport, like me, should know that there are regular buses between Upton-upon-Severn and Great Malvern, and if you want, between Great Malvern & Worcester. Do go into Great Malvern, and look at the wonderful Priory. It's worth it.

Room Tip: Those with the views are obviously the best. But all rooms at the Beech Cottage have a partial view...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Pattinfamily, Owner at The Cottage in the Wood, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
My team say you were a joy to look after! Delighted you enjoyed your stay and explored some of the area. Glad too we came up with alternative vegetarian dishes to keep you from menu boredom!
You mention you'd love to return in the summer but the tariff will be beyond a student wallet. I suggest you keep an eye out for offers in the summer because we do get some quiet days and post offers for certain dates only. Many thanks for your review and hints for other guests too.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

Stayed here for 1 night in jan2014. Unfortunately this hotel couldn't accommodate those who work Sundays as we couldn't have breakfast as we had to leave early and chef didn't start til 8.30. Cereals were offered but were not suitable for us. Also we couldn't check out as reception didn't start til 8.30 so we had to wait which made us very late. Also the price was for bed and breakfast although breakfast wasn't available for us there was no reduction in price.

The room and bathroom were very spacious and the views were stunning. I was disappointed to see so many dead and live flies in the room, especially for the time of year. Also I was annoyed finding only when I got in the bath for a soak that the bath, shower screen and seal were dirty. Quickest soak I've had. Something very off putting about bathing in a dirty bath. Not something I expected from a hotel boasting of such high standards.

The bed was so comfortable, I had the best night sleep in many years. And the sunrise was spectacular. We would return here but not while working.

Evening receptionist very pleasant although didn't tell us there'd be no reception early in morning, had she told us we could've paid our bill there and then and wouldn't have been late. Morning receptionist was a little frosty. On the whole, a lovely little place.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
I will respond to both of you beneath the review below as you stayed as a couple.
Blackwood, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

We stayed here for the night 11/1/14, for the the first out of approx 8 shows at Malvern showground for 2014. The booking was made via laterooms and staff very curtiously called us at home to ask us if we require an evening meal reservation. Unfortunately not knowing what time we would leave the showground we were unable to make a decision there and then. On arrival at hotel we were further asked if we wanted a reservation for the restaurant which we declined as it was quite late but what we did ask for was breakfast at 7.30 as we needed to be at the showground for 8am. We were told that the chef didn't start till 8.30 and couldn't oblige with providing us with a warm breakfast. We filled the necessary paperwork out with our personal details and were given the key to our room. The room we were given was of average cleanliness, with quite a number of dead flies on the window sill, table floor, also live flies and a ladybird. Which is unusual for the time of year.
About 5 minutes after settling into our room, we had a call from receptionist to confirm that breakfast couldn't be provided till 8.30 am although cereals were offered. Again we pointed out that we had to leave before 8am and cereals were not suitable.
The room was very spacious, as to was the bathroom, though the bath and shower screen were dirty and the seal on the shower screen was black with mould. However the bed was very comfortable and so a good night sleep was had.
Upon leaving the next morning, we were unable to check out and pay our bill as there were no reception staff available and so we had to wait until someone arrived, this made us late. We were annoyed as we specifically told the receptionist several times the night before that we had an early start. Had we been told that the receptionist didn't start until 8.30 like the chef, we would have settled our bill on arrival. The morning receptionist was to our mind much the weather that morning, very frosty.
Overall we would stay here again, the location has stunning views. We would probably stay here when not on a working schedule as this hotel couldn't meet our needs.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
This response covers both this review and the one above as they are from you as a couple and refers to the same room and same breakfast difficulties. I'm always prepared to take criticism on the chin and to learn from it and improve what we do. In fact reviews such as Trip Advisor are a very useful resource for me. First then to the apology. To find your bath to be dirty is not acceptable and I have personally reviewed our room checking procedure. This should not have happened and I again apologise. As to breakfast service, we serve from 8am at weekends and Reception is manned from the same time. You were offered an overnight tray - albeit cold of course - and a warm bacon or sausage sandwich to take with you as early as 7.15. Our change over notes are very precise on this detail. With a little notice we can arrange for full breakfast from 7.15 as we do during all the major shows. Hope you'll give us another chance. John
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malvern Wells
Mount Pleasant Hotel
Mount Pleasant Hotel
#9 of 10 in Great Malvern
Bank House Hotel, Spa & Golf, BW Premier Collection

Been to The Cottage in the Wood? Share your experiences!