We stayed for 7 nights at The Cottage and were not disappointed in any way. The warmth of the welcome from Mrs Pattin (the owner) was great, and we were helpfully escorted to our room in the Pinnacles, the modern annexe to the hotel which is about 100 yards from the main building. Our labrador was made specially welcome with her own doggy-paws rug, bonios and bowl (and most thoughtfully poo-bags provided!). The room was large (room 23) with what proved to be a marvellous view when the mists/snow cleared by day 5!!! The ground floor rooms in the Pinnacles all have small patios with table and chairs which would be lovely when the weather is good. The Vi-Spring 6 foot bed was superbly comfortable, the shower was really powerful and the bath large enough for a good long soak. The rooms are all individually designed, no "one size fits all" here. The little touches that make this hotel special were the provision of binoculars in each front-facing room, and an "emergency kit" of all the things one might have forgotten or suddenly need. Brilliant!
Food was excellent - prepared by the Pattin's son, who is a master chef in his own right - modern British with a twist, plenty of it and always very freshly cooked, served on very hot plates! We particularly loved the seafood which is fresh daily and brought up from Brixham I believe. The wine list is quite amazing, I have never seen such an extensive one (more than 500 wines) and it made a really informative read. John (Pattin) is a real connoisseur and his love of the subject as well as joie de vivre really comes through.
All members of the team, whether family or not, were very motivated, seemed to be very happy in their work, and nothing was too much trouble for anyone so it made it a real pleasure to stay there for a prolonged stay.
We will certainly return to this gem, and when the weather lifted the views were indeed utterly magnificent!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Cottage in the Wood: hotel, restaurant and bar in Mavlern is an independent, boutique hotel situated high in the Malvern hill with stunning views across the Severn Valley and the Cotswolds. There are 30 beautiful and unique en-suite bedrooms to stay in most with stunning views across the English countryside - remember to request a view when you book! The award winning restaurant serves high quality, locally sourced, modern British cuisine from breakfast to lunch, afternoon tea and evening meals. In the cosy bar you can choose from a refreshing craft beers & ales, fine wines by the glass (or bottle) and cocktails. With a real log fire in winter and refreshing cocktails in summer it is the perfect place to relax all year round! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Booking.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Travelocity, HostelWorld and Hotel.de so you can book your The Cottage in the Wood reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cottage In The Wood Hotel Malvern Wells
- The Cottage In Wood
- The Cottage In The Wood Great Malvern/Malvern Wells