“It was all just right”

1919 Restaurant
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We visited the Antiques Fair in the morning and had lunch at the Cottage in the Wood. We had a most friendly welcome and a pre-lunch drink outside looking out on a magnificent view accross to the Severn valley and Bredon Hill. The meal was excellent and reasonably paced. We returned to our table outside for coffee. A very good overall experience for a celebration meal.

Pattinfamily, Owner at 1919 Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2013

I'm delighted you enjoyed your lunch after your visit to the antiques fair. Presumably that was at the Three Counties Showground and you were then able to look down the hill to where you had been.
Thank you for your review.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We have used the Cottage in the Wood for many years and have usually found it excellent fine dining albeit rather pricey. However on this joint birthday celebration we were disappointed with our meal. This is a fine dining restaurant so one does not expect large portions but this time they were miniscule. Some of us were still hungry at the end and resorted to the cheese board (very good) to fill up. The quality of the food was also not up to scratch particularly the lamb cutlets which were mostly fat.

Pattinfamily, Owner at 1919 Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

You write "a little disappointing", not half as disappointed as me. I hope you raised the issue with my team - either at reception when paying or even better with the restaurant team although I've not had any adverse feedback from either source. We usually get comments of too much food, so I'm currently at a loss to know what went wrong. Maybe the best thing is for you to telephone me and we can sort the matter out. I certainly don't want to lose customers, especially returning ones. Thank you for drawing it to my attention.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

The outlook from the terrace and window tables in the restaurant have an amazing landscape view of this beautiful area.
Limited tables outside and in window so you would need to book these in advance. Service was good. Inside seating area is little old fashioned but cosy.
The restaurant itself is very contemporary and the food was very traditional English but was cooked very well. The only criticism is one guest asked for her beef to be well done and it was burned on the edges and not edible. Another guest in our party had the beer medium to rare as recommended and it was beautiful. Would visit again though. Worth noting that on a Sunday they only have a set menu, no light lunches, but the restaurant has v good air conditioning.

I'm sorry that one of your party had poor beef and I hope you informed one of the team and that something was done about it. However, pleased all the other dishes were fine. Thank you for pointing it out to me. Silence equals "all is well" so I would have blundered on in ignorance.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We booked for summer Sunday lunch, with celebration in mind,and were not disappointed! Discreet and immaculately served, the menu was varied, with the option of two or three courses. Only one of our party managed a dessert course, so generous and delicious were the first two! Salmon terrine starter was delicate and light, the soups fresh and full of flavour. Beef and pork mains were of excellent quality and presented with excellent saucing and trimmings and varied crunchy vegetables. Our vegetarian was very pleased with her gnocchi dish; and special diet requests were confidently catered for, since every part of the menu is made in-house. We chose a South African Rose wine, not too expensive, and a good choice, as it complemented each of our meals and was beautifully served.
The desserts include tartes and ice-creams and hot alternatives. I liked the sound of the very special bread & butter pudding, but decided to save this treat for next time! The view across to Bredon Hill and beyond from the French windows and the outside terrace- is exceptional- on a fine day. Make this your next booking - we definitely shall.

Pattinfamily, Owner at 1919 Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

I'm so pleased your special Sunday lunch visit was much enjoyed. We obviously shot ourselves in the foot by filling you up with the first two courses - a far cry from those awful Nouvelle Cuisine days!
Thank you for your detailed review. We hope to welcome you back 'ere long.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

As a surprise for my Birthday my husband made a reservation at the Cottage in the Wood Outlook Restaurant. As we're new to Malvern this was a very pleasant surprise as we live less than a mile away.
The surroundings and atmosphere were very good and the food was excellent, even manage three courses which is most unusual.
One slight fault was that the first two courses came in quick succession, a breather in between would have been appreciated. We suggested this before deciding on a pudding and the staff were very happy to oblige.
A very definite yes for special occasions.

1  Thank ConnieWeston
Pattinfamily, Owner at 1919 Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

I guess it's too late to wish you happy birthday but I'm delighted you enjoyed your first visit to "Outlook". Timing is always a bit tricky. I like to be leisurely at dinner but some think we are forgetting them if we are slow. Please do say you'd like a break before the main course on your next visit. What actually happens is that the chef on main courses will begin the cooking when the starters are called away as some need 10/15 minutes or more and then to rest before serving. This can go wrong if the guests are slow eaters or are delayed by a phone call or somesuch.
Still, that's our problem, not yours!