“Full of character”

Worcester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Full of character”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Took our closest friends for lunch. Parked up and walked the hills before lunch. With direct access into the woods and on to the hills from the car park it couldn't be easier. We were well looked after in a beautifully quintisencial hotel/restauarant, being family owned for many years. Interesting well cooked foods (extensive and varied wine list) and that fanatastic view. We will be back.

1 Thank Mike W
Pattinfamily, Owner at 1919 Restaurant, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
It's a really good idea to park here and then walk and lunch or lunch and then walk it off! Both our direct entry points are good jumping off points for a number of walks that begin above us. You mention that we've been here some time - well it's within sight of 26 years and now into the third generation with two granddaughters who are part time. I'm working on my annual update of the wine list. Lots of food for thought! We look forward to your return and may I thank you for your review.

Upton upon Severn
“Needed More Staff”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We were invited to join friends that stay at the hotel every year for an evening meal Easter Sunday this year. We have eaten here a number of times and always enjoyed the experience, the food is exceptional and we have never had cause to complain about it.
Unfortunately this visit the waiting staff were a bit thin on the ground, one very efficient and pleasant young man and a young lady who made brief appearances. Now this might have been due to illness or people just not turning up I don't know but it was noticeable through the service. The restaurant offers a fantastic cheese board selection BUT if another tables orders this it ties the one visible member of staff up for anything between ten to fifteen minutes, hence if you require anything in this time you are stuffed! There is a very pleasant bar area for pre drinks and after dinner coffee's or liqueurs, unfortunately one had to go and find someone to serve you as there was no barperson. Again if short staffed then someone should be making the occasional walk round to check on the customers needs. Frustratingly there were management type people around but seemed oblivious to the situation. I have no problem with the cost of eating here as I feel it is justified through it's quality but I do feel that if you are paying these sort of prices then the service really should be top drawer.
I cannot give this wonderful restaurant with it's stunning location and view a bad rating because of the excellent previous visits I've had, I just hope this is read and acted upon?

• Visited March 2013
Pattinfamily, Owner at 1919 Restaurant, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
I'm very pleased you brought this to my attention. I was here during the daytime with my wife but had left for a gathering for my grandson's birthday - not that that should have any effect on service levels. I'm checking back to see what happened and who was here. Yes, the cheese board is so much nicer than plated cheese from the kitchen which all to often is too cold and too hard.
Rest assured, we will rectify whatever went wrong so you can return with confidence.
Ely
“Excellent”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

They serve the nicest food, I have eaten anywhere. It is fine and served nicely without pretention. The price is the same as we pay for rustic pub food but this food shows finesse.
The view from the restaurant is lovely. The rooms are comforting with the added extras of fresh milk for tea and home made biscuits, which makes all the difference. The view is lovely and we, the dog and I, had a patio looking over the valley. Added to this they are dog friendly. Boris had a bowl of Bonios waiting for him and his own bed. He was of the clear opinion that the shortbread was for him to.
There is little danger of me camping at the dog show when I can stay in this lovely place, with its immediate access to the hills.

• Visited April 2013
Pattinfamily, Front Office Manager at 1919 Restaurant, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
I'm delighted we have tempted you away from a tent for yourself and your dog! Dogs are important to so many people and few hotels seem to welcome them. We know as we struggle sometimes when we are away. It's also so easy to take the dog for a walk from one of our ground floor rooms.
Glad you enjoyed the food and your dog the shortbread - what a treat!. Thank you for your review.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Outstanding quality and flavour”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My partner and I had the best meal we've had in a very long time at this restaurant. Despite finding out afterwards that the Head Chef had, in fact, been away for the evening, the Sous-chef certainly did his job well as we still gave this restaurant top marks.

Pre-dinner drinks while you look at the menu are served in the bar with complimentary bar-snacks provided with your drinks, and the staff are happy to give you as much time as you need to decide. As a bonus, there was also a specifically gluten-free menu printed out which I was given - something that really makes me think highly of a place when they have clearly taken time to address the fact that many people are gluten-free now. The only downside was that the only bit of the bar snacks that I could be certain I could eat were the few olives - I'm sure my partner didn't mind the fact that he got everything else though!

We were blown away by the quality of the food here. From starters of terrine and carpaccio (deliciously tender, although a steak knife might have made the carpaccio slightly easier to cut), through the most beautifully rare and flavoursome venison and duck, to a strawberry and rosewater cheesecake that my partner couldn't praise enough and a melt-in-the-mouth chocolate ganache that I had, everything was cooked, prepared and served to perfection. The meat was clearly of a very high standard and quality and it had then been prepared with flavour combinations that would make the most of their natural flavours without overpowering them. In fact my only niggling complaint would be that while I like my vegetables al-dent, often meaning they have a better flavour, the cauliflower was so crunchy as to be almost uncuttable! 1 minute more would have just made it a little easier to manage and a fraction less over-poweringly peppery. The other vegetables were absolutely perfect though, at that perfect place between cooked and still with a bit of bite.

The waiting staff were really attentive without being stuffy or pretentious throughout the meal adding to the wonderful evening and the restaurant itself is simply decorated in light colours to pick up on the stunning views across the valley which our window-table benefitted from. Overall this was an evening to remember.

• Visited April 2013
Pattinfamily, Owner at 1919 Restaurant, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Thank you for your detailed review and the point about the cauliflower. Noted. Chris is our sous-chef and is in his second incarnation with us having been an inexperienced "I know everything" lad from catering college, leaving us and finding out the hard way and now back in the number two slot some years later. Shows I'm not that nasty! Gluten free is a serious issue and we are always ready with a menu of the dishes that are suitable. The consequences can be far reaching.
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Excellent, different food and great professional service”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Great food, some very different and tempting dishes, excellent quality and good quantity too, service was very personal and professional at the same time

Visited April 2013
We are so glad to read you enjoyed your meal with us. It's also good to hear that the food service was in keeping. It's no use the chefs turning out great food if it's not served with, as you say, that rare blend of personal attention and professional service. Thank you for your review, we hope you will return one day.