“Beautiful food but rushed”

Salumeria Cafe & Deli Shop
Ranked #10 of 40 Restaurants in Headingley
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Salumeria Cafe & Deli - The real taste of Italy is available in Leeds at Salvo's Salumeria, first Leeds Salumeria. Opened in 2005, our Salumeria has established a strong following amongst customers new and old. For those that may be asking what is a Salumeria? - well a Salumeria is an Italian delicatessen. Salume is Italian for cured meat products like prosciutto and salame. We also offer a café within the Salumeria and serve light meals as well as being fully licensed.Salumeria Restaurant The Salumeria "Ristorantino" meaning "The Little Restaurant", is an intimate dining room. We feature specials dinner evenings, from musical soirees and wine tastings to regional dinners showing the best in Italian regional dishes. The menus are created every day by our chefs, using the days favored fresh ingredients so our guests enjoy a well balanced and delicious meal for you to enjoy at a great price, the only thing you have to decide is whether to drink our specially chosen wine recommendation, an ice cold artisan beer or a choice from our wine list. Please inform us of any special dietary requirements when reserving your table. Requesting a table is recommended as these evenings are popular.
“Beautiful food but rushed”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

My partner and I attended Salvos 6 course tasting evening at £23 each. The food was very good, really nice ingredients and high quality. However we seemed to be at course 4 in no time due to the staff picking up your plate as soon as you have put your folk down. My boyfriend asked if we could have a bit of a break between one of the courses to which we had the reply 'not really'!

We would go back again due to the food and atmosphere but the staff just need to give diners more time before approaching when finished and between courses.

Leeds, UK
“Superb rustic regional Italian food”
Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

On Saturday nights, Salvos do a 10 course tasting menu from a specific Italian region. On the night we went, the region in question was Puglia. The food was outstanding. A plate of salamis, cheese and olives to start, followed by a lovely tomato crostini, then one of the stand out dishes - an octopus, mussel and fennel salad tasted fresh with a chilli kick. This was followed by a broad bean dip, then my absolute favourite, a wonderfully fresh and tasty blood orange, anchovy, red onion and chilli salad, then stuffed aubergine, and the final 'main course' lamb with a minty stuffing with potatoes and peas. There was also a pasta dish in there somewhere too. By this stage I'd had enough of the very good house red that the desert hasn't stuck in my mind, but I do remember the Espresso was excellent. At £33 a head, the meal represented outstanding value. I can't wait to go back for the next regional menu in the spring.

Visited February 2014
Berkshire
“Only saved from terrible by the service”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

This place was very busy at time of our visit.

Table given to use was mid room no issues.

Service attentive not pushy all good so far.

Then thingy's go wrong my sons squid over cooked , my mussels well what can I say poor is the best I could say my steak arrived blue ordered no red at all, indeed I would rate it well done

I could go on, not good to many dishes on old menu cards (could not read dessert cards)

The only explanation I can come up with for excellent reviews is no competition in the area.

At the prices this place charge and the lack of quality it would go bust very quickly in the south, wished I had gone the 25 meters to the left and had an excellent Thai. Next time I will

1 Thank petermaidenhead
“Most authentic and best cooked Southern Italian food in Leeds”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Four of us celebrated a birthday here at their evening of Puglian food.
Seven courses, but bite sized when needed, delicious and still surprising even tho we're regulars. Highlights included dressed octopus, blood orange salad with a touch of red onion and anchovy dressing, and peerless pasta with cime de rapa.
Warm, unfussy and probably the best cooking in Leeds at the moment.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
“The coffee saved the day”
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Upset by the dirty drinking glass, dirty loo and dirty floor. The food took a long time to arrive and my veggie pasta was pretty tasteless. It was chopped green beans , a few bits of cooked potato and some tasteless tomato (the same tomato on our bruschetta) a second round of Parmesan didn't improve it. It was as if the veggie bit of the dish was an after thought and probably concocted from the left overs from next door! The meat pasta was a different story-lamb and artichoke..something that was meant to be.
Lunch today will not be drawing us back. The coffee might if they keep the place cleaner.

Visited February 2014