“Hotel with the WOW factor”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Headingley Lodge

Headingley Lodge
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Headingley
Berwick upon Tweed, United Kingdom
“Hotel with the WOW factor”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We had a great stay here the rooms are very spacious and clean with huge comfortable beds and unrivalled views. We had the Geoffrey Boycott room and on opening the door the view from the patio doors across the cricket pitch was amazing and I am not a cricket fan- we came for a rugby match and even though it was very busy while the match was on everything was quiet by 11pm. As it was a weekend the breakfast was continental but was more than adequate. The staff were friendly and helpful we would certainly stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Fordingbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Don't get carried away as I did with the fact that your room will overlook the cricket pitch as, apart from a great bed, this was the worst night I've ever had in a hotel. The woman on reception on arrival was neither welcoming nor off-putting - she just didn't seem all that interested. The room I had was huge with a giant bed but too warm for me and I couldn't find the thermostat anywhere. There was no Welcome pack either - so no guidance on how to deal with the temperature. Simples - open the window! No chance - it was locked and bolted - presumably to stop me invading the empty stands. On top of this I had made the mistake of staying there on Bonfire Night. I kid you not - the fireworks went on and on and on until gone 230 in the morning. How do I know for sure? An alarm sounded at 155 - so loud I thought it was right under my bed. Christ I nearly had a heart attack. The fireworks were a problem because the layout of the bedrooms (glorified converted corporate entertainment boxes) means that you are staying in a bowl that's a bit like a radar device - EVERY sound outside is echoed and multiplied so one exploding rocket sounds like ten. Awful.
When I mentioned the alarm to the woman on reception in the morning she denied it had even happened.
Breakfast next day took me back to my student days as I sat in the very unglamorous Carnegie Café - more of a refectory than a place to relax at the start of the day. The food was good though- that's why I've given this review 2 starts and not the one it really deserves. Sadly I wanted this to be a great experience as I lived in Headingley for ten years and love the place but I would urge caution to anybody thinking about staying at the Lodge.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs and a fan.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2013

This hotel is more difficult to drive to than it should have been in my view – even using a Sat Nav but this may say more about my driving than anything else.

Suffice to say that once you’ve found the entrance itself all is well however actually being able to drive to it is not as simple as one might expect.

Parking is next to the security office for the grounds with 24 hour gaurds which adds to the feeling of overall security to the premises which was not expected.

The hotel itself is huge and so are the rooms which are named after various cricketers.

The wall to wall and ceiling to floor windows directly open onto the seating area which obviously overlooks the grounds itself.

My wife was very impressed to be able step out of bed and watch cricketers warming up on the pitch before she had her first coffee of the day!

The only drawback was the lack of air conditioning which may not have been a massive issue if the windows that opened were not so small [and behind a heavy curtain] and the door onto the seating area was not nailed/screwed shut

In September this was not a real problem, however in the height of summer it may be.

The room prices vary considerably in relation to match days as one would expect however, the rooms are massive, clean, well presented and the staff are very professional and helpful.

There are lots of local bars and restaurants within easy walking distance with a wealth of cuisine and price ranges to choose from to the point of being spoilt for choice.

Headingly has a high number of students which may account for the number of student type deals at various pubs and cafes which add to making this an area with a very lively atmosphere.

An excellent stop over for three days and one I will going back to when next in Leeds.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andy186284
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night and found it a good clean hotel. The room was a good size very clean and had everything you needed in it. Really handy to get to the centre of Leeds without the centre of town prices. Good parking, friendly and helpful staff. I left my phone charger in the room which they posted back to me and covered all the costs. Will defo be back next time we are out in Leeds!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Toonman76
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights whilst visiting Leeds. The room was spacious with a good view of the cricket ground, however the washbsin was cracked, the hair dryer plug was broken and the shower cubicle was unstable due to a missing screw. The other problem was the lack of sound insulation between the rooms, at times it was if you were in the same room as next door, so not the best nights sleep especially if you have noisy neighbours!
On the plus side is that there was ample secure car parking and the staff were freindly

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank marksutton1
Kirkconnel, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

The room was excellent with great views of the pitch. This is a room only hotel but do offer breakfast in your room, but at weekend you can only have a cold breakfast , there is no vending machines in the hotel to get a snack or drink. the problem was during the night, the loud music outside and the walls are paper thin. We could hear next door switching the lights on shutting doors and could even hear them on the toilet. Also the people above us we so nosy making love we thought the ceiling was going to come in on us. Won't be using this hotel again .

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank malcolm h
Solihull, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2013

This is a basic hotel but with a fantastic view from your room is most unusual, that of Headingley Stadium. We had a superior room which was enormous. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom adequate (although the toilet did not flush properly). We did not sample the breakfast. It was a great base to visit my daughter who is at Leeds University. My only moan is the lack of a mirror in the bedroom area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Headingley
Haley's Hotel and Restaurant
The Butlers Hotel
The Butlers Hotel
#8 of 9 in Headingley
Best Western Plus Milford Hotel

Been to Headingley Lodge? Share your experiences!