“Would go back”

Cuisines: Greek, Turkish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

There was 8 of us for the meal and it was good. The service was good and the staff very friendly. The timeing between each course was good and the food was pipping hot. I felt like I had found a little bit of Greace not far from home. All our friends that came with us also really enjoyed the meal too. No complaints at all.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Theresa Turnbull

04/18/2013
22:11 h
I visited last night with a friend, 1st time!
From start to finish the service was great and the food exceeded our expectation?!
Very authentic, tasty and fresh food in generous portions was served in a relaxed atmosphere by a very sweet young gentleman.
Only slight neg was they don't take card and had to get cash out on credit card as all I had with me...food amazing!! thank god we had been for a run before hand!
Swordfish skewers succulent, salad dressing and dips perfection......GO!!! especially if you're hungry!
Thanks, see you again!
T:)

Reviewed April 15, 2013

The Agora is an unassuming Headingley restaurant on the main street through town. Inside it's similarly unassuming, with a traditional rustic Mediterranean decor. We decided to try it out on the basis of the menu, a mixture of Greek, Turkish and Cypriot dishes.

First up was a platter of homous, tzatziki, beans and salad which was nice enough intro, and after that we shared a platter of meat Meze, which included chicken and pepper kebabs, spicy sausage and meatballs. I remember having a really satisfying evening. The cooking was rich and well spiced, and the meat was really complimentary to the sauces and the flavours. It's a classic combination that works well. The red wine we chose was again well matched. I'd definitely recommend going for the food.

One comment I'd make is that the restaurant is near the Rugby and Cricket stadiums, and particularly when the Rugby is on, it can get very busy. The shift patterns at the restaurant aren't quite perfect- when we walked in there was 45 minutes of a man (I think the owner) dealing with the front of house single handedly, and clearly struggling. When two other staff arrived everything sprang in to motion and there was the strange situation of service actually being quicker the more people arrived in the restaurant- so perhaps I ought to be complimentary.

There are 2 course meal offers which are reasonably priced, but overall we felt that The Agora is perhaps slightly overpriced. The food is good and it is a nice restaurant, but compared to Ambiente in the city centre, which is the same price, not as good value. Still, it is a family restaurant and we will support it in the future.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Visited The Agora in Febuary on the night they had the bellydancer performance with my partner. We were greeted by the owner who was very smiley who quickly showed us to our table in the middle of the restaurant, about 5 minutes later she moved us to one by the window which became available, which we thought was a nice touch.

For starters I had the falaffel and my partner had the tzatziki dip. His dip came with flatbread. The bread was ok, but the dip was lovely, very refreshing and tasty. My falaffel was superb, very crisp and crunchy with a slight spicy kick. Among some of the best falaffels I have had.

The service got a bit weird after this, we got our mains really soon after our starters which was a bit rushed, and no one came to see if we wanted anymore drinks which we did. For mains my partner had the Moussaka and I had the Ardana on the skewer, the latter being a feast for the eyes. Lamb skewer on a bed of rice with salad was superbly presented and was nice, just wasnt the culinary explosion in my mouth I expected it to be. My partner's moussaka however was perfection.

We wanted to have a desert after this but waited 20 minutes before we decided to just leave, we then waited 10 minutes after this for a waiter to come over to is! They then tried to get us to stay to have a desert and watch the bellydancer but to be honest we were so annoyed with the shoddy service we just wanted to go home.

Its nice putting on entertainment for diners but when it inteferes with the service it is just poor. It was a shame because the food was very, very good.

1  Thank Reviews_of_the_world
Reviewed April 6, 2013

only been once, but will be back again very soon. recommended by a friend, can't believe we never heard of it before. wonderful food, great value for the price. nice, chatty staff and laidback atmosphere. give it a go!