“Great value for money”
Review of Cliff Lawn Hotel

Cliff Lawn Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Headingley
Reviewed May 2, 2011

My group of 9 stayed at the Cliff Lawn Hotel and the hotel surpassed our expectation..... the rooms were very well decorated, re-fitted bathrooms and fab breakfast. Terry the owner was a great host and ensured our stay went smoothly.

Would recommend to large group, single or couples

• Stayed: April 2011

Reviewed April 23, 2011

Rooms very clean and comfortable, we asked for rooms to be close together and in a quiet part of the hotel which they kindly acknowledged, check in made very easy and all staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed January 17, 2011

The hotel is located somewhat outside the city center, but is close to the university, if you have business there. The hotel is a beautiful old mansion located in large garden. The age of the hotel also means that the (standard) rooms are very small -the can just fit a bed with a small desk in it. There is a TV (mounted on the wall) and a rather large bathroom, that a strange shower cabin in it. The plumbing is equally old and makes an eerie sound, but the hotel itself is located in very quiet surroundings. Breakfast is served downstairs and offers a nice selection of both english and continental meals. Staff is friendly and helpful. Free WIFI.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 22, 2010

I stayed at this B&B because of the reviews and because I wanted to stay in a historical locale. When I arrived, I was put in a room in the topmost floor up 2 sets of stairs and then yet another narrower set to my attic room. I had to squeeze past my bed sideways to access the washroom or the window. The hot water was non-existant, so I had a cold shower and brushed my teeth using a plastic glass because the pug was stuck in the sink. I dropped my watch on the floor and my arm brushed up against the heated towel rack and left a 3-inch burn. There was no top sheet and I wasn't confident that the duvet cover is changed with every guest. There is no alarm clocks or early wake-up calls. Nor are their in-room phones so making taxi reservations are cumbersome. The young lady who was manning the desk was as helpful as possible and dug up an old alarm clock as insurance against missing my early flight to the airport. I didn't trust the antiquated clock and stayed up all night, mostly because I was freezing (no heat & no extra blankets). I left before breakfast, so I can't comment on the food. All in all, a horrible and expensive experience.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank broadabroadClagary
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Booked on late rooms at £45 for a single room, which in this day and age seemed a snip. Was a bit apprehensive beforehand but there was no reason to be. Decent sized car park ticked first box. My room was on the top floor which on my experience usually means not as nice as lower floors, however room was more than adequate, double bed, when I booked single room, very clean, warm and inviting. Toilet/shower room was obviously recently refurbished and sparkingly clean. Only downside was one of the bedside lamps did not work. Location was superb, 5 mins from my business meeting. Only slight niggle was no evening meals and I had been out since 4:45am so did not feel like traipsing in to town.

Hotel offered free wi fi internet connection on web page, but was secure wi-fi and to be fair did not ask for key, minor niggle but meant I did not spend any time on work e mails, suppose could be described as a positive !!!!!

Will definately be back as in Leeds every 6 weeks.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank andrewproudfoot
Reviewed August 11, 2010

I stayed at The Cliff Lawn Hotel whilst in Leeds on Business. The location was great for me, as I could walk to the company I was visiting. The hotel is tucked away down a cul de sac so it's nice and quiet, and it has a large (free) car park.
The breakfast (included in the room rate) was superb - the best bacon and scrambled eggs of any hotel I've stayed in.
The one negative aspect is that they don't offer meals, other than breakfast. I knew about this before I booked, and it's not a problem as there are a range of restaurants within easy walking distance. The manager was happy to give me a couple of suggestions for places to eat, and good directions.
Overall, a great hotel with far more character than the usual city centre concrete boxes.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank AC_Bristol
Reviewed June 6, 2010

The grounds a lovely and peaceful, and the hotel is within walking distance of the university.

The bedrooms are nothing special, and poorly noise-proofed- I could hear the occupants of the next room turn over in bed. Luckily my neighbours were generally quiet.
In terms of food, the breakfast was very nice, but I was there for a three days and the evening bar menu is unappealing. The sign in the bedroom instructs you not to eat food bought off premises in your room but its not as though the hotel is offering good, reasonably priced evening meals (I mean it is meant to be a hotel, not a B&B). The sign went in the bin along with my used pizza box and fish and chip wrappers.

The manager was generally helpful, and when I asked for a copy of my bill, as I had lost the first one, he sent it on promply.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Headingley
Headingley Lodge
#3 of 9 in Headingley
Ascot Grange Hotel
#1 of 9 in Headingley
Weetwood Hall Hotel
#35 of 87 in Leeds
Holbeck
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre

Been to Cliff Lawn Hotel? Share your experiences!