“Great”

Oak Villa Hotel
Oak Villa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Headingley B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

Iv stayed here now for 5 weeks because im working in leeds and its great free parking free wifi tv coffee bar breakfast if you want it and very very friendly staff, rooms are clean and tidy nice surroundings. What more do you want the people who slate this place are wrong for the money its spot on. If you want the ritz or hilton pay your £200 a night and get 5* if its £25 a night then oakvilla is good.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed November 15, 2013

Needed a last minute hotel stop over in Leeds to visit a friend in hospital and stay over with them the next day. Found this through booking.com and as it was the cheapest on offer at £35 B&B I thought I would give it a go.
Similar to other reviews, I too found it hard to find, my Sat Nav didnt place it where it actually was, but a quick call to the hotel found I was only 100 yards away.
The hotel is old, I would imagine it was grander 'back in the day', the receptionist just gave me the key and told me where the room was. To be honest, for the price I wasn't expecting much more. She was friendly and courteous and that's about as much as you want.
The room was basic, clean and tidy, though curtains, furniture and bedding were old fashioned, though the sheets and towels were clean and fresh. I had an ensuite shower room on the 2nd floor with a single bed. Room was warm enough. TV as mentioned by others was tiny and the sound was tinny. I didnt really hear any noise from other guests but then I always sleep with earplugs when away just so that I don't hear anything !

The breakfast was as mentioned in other reviews, single bacon, sausage, tomato, egg and beans with a couple of rounds of toast and a pot of tea. It was filling and adequate. There was cereal available and the juice was obviously watered down or just glorified squash.

All in all, for a convenient hotel to the city centre for the price it was reasonable value, it was a clean comfy bed and breakfast. I cant really complain and I would stay again if I needed to. I wouldnt recommend it to friends and family however or for couples, but for a solo traveller who needed to get their head down then it should suffice.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank MarkNMB
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

I should have trusted my Sat-nav when it said this place did not exist! Turned out I was 400 yards from it.
English Tourist Board 3 Star???
Well can these signs have a date on them as I am sure it was given this award sometime in the last century going by the decor. But the question is was it the 20th or 19th century?
The carpets and wallpaper were so old that they needed replacing. When a room has "shared" toilet facilities, they should clearly state how many rooms are sharing! 10 rooms sharing two toilets!!
"Full English breakfast" should have a national standard! For me, 1 slice of bacon, 1 sausage, 1 fried egg and a can of beans is no "full English"!! Also, if you are putting "rice krispies" in a container with a picture of "Kellogg's rice krispies", they should be "Kellogg's" otherwise it is false advertising.
And if one of your selling points is a "bar" in your property then it should be open not closed!!!
The only good point for me is that it was close to the rugby stadium.
Would not stay again!!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Donald M
Reviewed October 9, 2013

The disgusting smell hits you as you walk through the front door. Your room key is handed to you by someone who has clearly never heard of customer service. Decor is extremely old, tired & dirty with wallpaper hanging off the ceiling and walls. Bathroom window wouldn't close, the disgusting rags on the floor that were supposed to be bath and toilet pedestal mats were so old they were extremely faded and had holes in them. Tea and coffee making facilities were out of the ark, it took the kettle nearly ten minutes to decide to work and after taking one sip of the tea, we really wished it hadn't bothered. The 'white' towels weren't and they stunk of that horrible smell that permeated through the rest of the building. The walls are so thin it's like having the person in the next room urinating right next to you, every last and very loud drop could be heard. The television was just a bit bigger than a postage stamp requiring binoculars to view it if seated on the very hard bed. Played it safe with the breakfast and just had toast, cheap jam, no marmalade and the jug of 'orange juice' was in fact weak orange squash! On arrival we debated leaving and finding another hotel but as I was in Leeds on business and the company I worked for had already paid for our stay, we didn't fancy forking out for another hotel at our expense, so we decided to grit our teeth and slum it for the night. I couldn't wait to get home for a shower and chuck our clothes in the washer to try to eliminate the smell and the memory. Three star hotel??? It makes my flesh creep just thinking about the place, it should be closed down.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank 290,193
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Me & my 2 Friends wanted a night out in leeds we booked this b&b as it was cheap and to be honest was just a bed to sleep in at the end of the night. We arrived at the b&b and seen all the towels hung out on the line they was suppose to be white but was brown dirty!! This didnt bother us as we had our own towels. When we walked inside we was instantly hit by a horrible fusty smell. We wasnt shown to our room the lady just told us what room number it was. When we got to the room i have never seen anything so discuating in my life there was a sink in the corner with a mirror what was broken. Two chairs in each corner what was ripped. The carpet was that old it was too small for the room. We had to open the window streight away to try and get rid of the the smell the wall paper falling of the walls as it was tht damp bugs crawling up the walls we moved the bed side table and the dust was unbelieveable stains on the head board. After been in the room 30 min and all of us getting bit we went to tell the lady that we wasnt happy she didnt apologise she just kept saying "well ur not getting your deposit back" it was tht bad we wasnt even bothered about the deposit. She said they was fully booked at that they had turned people away but she offered us another room we went to look at it and tht was just as bad I wouldnt let a dog stay here and no way would i have eaten the breakfast this place isnt even a 1 star never mind a 3.in the end we ended up paying an extra £20 to stay in a beautiful hotel alot closer to the city centre.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank chelsea1706
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I was told on arrival that there had been a booking error & that instead of a single room (which was supposedly the only room left when I booked), I was being give a 'very big room' at no extra charge & that I should not 'tell the boss.' My initial feeling of good luck soon disappeared. The room was indeed big but freezing cold & in a time warp. Whilst looking for the thermostat & socket to charge my phone, I began to see how dirty the room was. It had obviously not been hoovered for months. The sink was filthy & had cobwebs & spiders under it. The saucers had a layer of grime on them. I complained & was given another large room. This room was a little better but still cold & had a stained headboard & stains on a chair. But I decided to drive home after visiting the shared bathroom - the toilet, shower & bin were vile. On the way back to reception I notice blood on one of the table cloths in the breakfast room. I told the man on reception that I was leaving & why. I was told that the owners were away, he was new & so was the cleaner. He apologise but said that 'that was the trouble with share bathrooms'?! I was not offered any compensation or money back.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Dawn D
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This place is the most disgusting / dirty / smelly / run down / uncomfortable B&B We've ever had the unfortunate pleasure of wasting our money on. We arrived to find a member of staff waiting on the reception who was very pleasant. She checked us in & gave us our key, but there was no offer of showing us to our room. The moment we opened the door to room 3 on the ground floor you could smell the damp in the room. The carpet looked like it hadn't been hoovered since 1975, net curtains were full of holes, dusty curtains, black bits & hairs in the bed, poor electrics, unsafe shower, worn out bathroom mats, un hygienic carpet in en-suite (which smelt) and we shared the room with 6 spiders. If that wasn't enough.....we were disturbed in the early ours of the morning by a couple having sex outside our room 3 window!! When we went down to breakfast we were told we'd have to wait for a table as they were all taken, or we could share with someone else. At this point we decided to collect our bags and check out of the hell hole that is Oak Villa Headingley. I'm writing this on the Sunday evening after our Saturday evening stay, and be assured I will be contacting Visit England with regards to The Oak Villa's 3 guests house stars, and also trading standards & EHO dept of Leeds City Council. DO NOT BOOK The Oak Villa if you're planning to stay in Headingley.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple