“Not good...”
Review of The Butlers Hotel

The Butlers Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Headingley
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We booked this hotel via booking.com, had good reviews and the pictures looked OK. We had just come from Leeds city centre, had actually tried to cancel this booking but they required 48 hour notice so we had to stay really or would have been charged anyway.

As soon as we arrived i felt instant regret for booking this..the outside was scruffy and paint was all peeling off, you can't always judge something from outside however, so i stayed positive. When we entered, the man behind the desk seemed very friendly enough, showed us to our room.

The decor inside the entrance/corridoors to the rooms were very dusty and old, it was not 'vintage' or 'shabby chic' it was, dirty and old, someone here said rising damp already and i would agree with that. Our room looked and smelt like a nursing home, it smelt like dust and old. It had a wardrobe in, which i didn't dare hang my clothes in, a small flat screen tv- which was fine, a kettle and some tea/biscuits etc, there was a galaxy hot chocolate sachet there, which looked battered like it had been there for months.

The 'dressing' table bit, was falling apart, on its last legs basically, you wouldn't have found it in a charity shop, I'm not being harsh, but i don't know how this place charged £60 a night. I have stayed many places around the uk for less than 60£ and got a LOT better and cleaner places.

Our room looked reasonably clean at a first glance but when looking/using things dust was everywhere, the table at the side of the bed was falling apart as you can see from the pics. There was a fan there, absolutely disgusting, wouldn't have turned it on if i was melting to death, the bathroom was ok, but the bath panel was coming away from the wall and was just some cheap MDF.

The bed looked very comfortable however and had good duvet and two pillows, which were very comfortable. We had an ok sleep in it but, i must add, i appreciate this is an old building, but the people above us could be heard ALL NIGHT, they were up and down and walking around all night, which they're within the rights to do, but the floorboards are very creaky, and it actually felt like they might have fell through at one point, as it was creaking all through the evening and night waking me up a few times.

We did stay for breakfast, as we were very hungry and couldn't manage the trip into the town looking for a place for breakfast, and we were pleasantly surprised. There was juice, tea/coffee, toast, cereals, and a full English breakfast. Staff were very pleasant, i think the best thing was the breakfast from the whole stay.

Would not visit again! Would have got a TERRIBLE if not for the breakfast, so that bumped it to poor.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Priestessofmars

Reviewed May 26, 2014

We booked this hotel via Groupon so in fairness it was a "good deal" but in reality it certainly wasn't! We got the Ascot room and how it was called Ascot I do not know. Dirty carpet, a bathroom that stunk and it is in the attic up several flights of rickety stairs. It was that bad that despite driving from Liverpool to Leeds we didn't stay and checked out as soon as we had checked in. I will be complaining to Groupon and I would advise anyone not to stay at or book this hotel. It is not 3 star and should be demolished!

Room Tip: None of them from what I could see!
3  Thank graykel
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Not our normal hotel, we usually go for modern and contemporary. this hotel is neither of these but we had a lovely time. We stayed in the Bronte Room and it was like walking back in time with a small four poster and lace curtains, cue dressing table and plenty of pictures on the wall. We went for a drink in he bar before going out, happy hour between 6 and 7. Taxi into town cost £5, We came back to hotel at around 12am and they still served us in the bar for an hour. Breakfast the next day was lovely, cooked breakfast made to order or cereal or toast. Checkout was 11am. very good value for money. Would return when modern and contemporary gets boring.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

We booked into The Butler's Hotel by default, having unsuccessfully tried two other hotels in Headingley. I use the term hotel only loosely to describe Butler's because I've never stayed anywhere that so poorly serves of its guests, however undemanding they might be.The location is convenient, close to local amenities, bars and restaurants. If a hotel reception usually sets the scene, this wasn't a good start. Dark, dingy and old fashioned, it had a 1970s look about it, but think 'Rising Damp' rather than Crossroads Motel. The carpet on the stairs leading upstairs hadn't been cleaned in ages, and was not only dusty but on several of the stairs were discarded chips. Which errant, unsteady guest had decided to partake of a midnight feast? The chips were still there the next morning when we left. At reception we were told we were staying in the Stars bedroom. Unsure what to expect, we entered a dingy tired-looking room, with dirty wallpaper and peeling paintwork. It didn't leave us feeling star struck, more gobsmacked. Among photographs of James Dean, Cary Grant, Liz Taylor and others were, perhaps unexpectedly, several of Catherine Zeta Jones who, a notice proudly told us, had stayed in this very room while filming the Darling Buds of May. All I can say is this must have been the nadir of career, and I doubt she's been back on a " this is where it all started, Michael" kind of nostalgia trip. The bedroom was just so-so and tolerable but as for the bathroom, I've never seen the like of before, not even in the humblest hill walkers' B & B. 1970s (again) brown suite, broken, cracked bath panel, shabby door and window. At least the water was nice and hot but the shower was only one cut above those do it yourself rubber shower attachments that we all had - yes, you've guessed - in the 1970s.

Full English breakfast owed more to Makro than farmer's market, but if you don't mind sachets of Nescafé and Mother's Pride-style slice white bread (inspired by which decade, I wondered?) it was tolerable enough. My wife's appetite was suppressed (funnily enough) and she left most of the food on her plate. The waitress proceeded to berate me with a " that was a waste of time making it" comment.

We shan't be going back, unsurprisingly and, at £74 for the night inc breakfast, although not an inordinate sum, we felt a bit ripped off, especially as our friends had paid £72 to stay in a new hotel complete with sauna and swimming pool. Still, unlike us, they didn't get to sleep in the same bed that a (now) Hollywood film star once had. I only hope they'd remembered to change the sheets.

Room Tip: Simply find another hotel. No debate.
3  Thank Jonathan G
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Horrible place, very dirty and impolite staff. Showers out of order,1 toilet working on our floor we stayed on. The "clean" towels were thrown on the dirty floor, even our cups in the room were filthy

Room Tip: Dont bother!!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Markus M
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We arrived very early and asked if we could leave our cases the manager very kindly allowed us to have the room early.All public areas were in need of a revamp.....the room was definitely past its best as were the pliers that were supplied to open the wardrobe door!! Didn't like the look of the dirty net curtain at the window can't comment on breakfast because there was no way that we were going to stay!! It was a groupon deal and although very reasonably priced we wouldn't stay there for free!! Hate to give this review but if this business wants to attract new custom then it must clean the place up.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Pammowatt
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I booked a room for my husband and I to stay there for my fathers funeral service. My family changed the funeral plans and I called the very next day to cancel the reservation. A month later after the intended stay, I was charged the full room fee. After numerous calls to the hotel to resolve this issue, I have recieved no satisfaction and now they will not even return my emails. So as far as the hotel is concerned, I have no review, but so far the serice has not been satisfactory and I am out $208.00. Not happy.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank jayne c
Also consider these accommodations in or near Headingley
Village Hotel Leeds North
Ibis Leeds Centre
Ibis Leeds Centre
#32 of 87 in Leeds
Best Western Plus Milford Hotel

Been to The Butlers Hotel? Share your experiences!