The Butlers Hotel
$92
$75
$64
Hotels.com
Ascot Grange Hotel(Headingley)(Great Value!)
Headingley Lodge(Headingley)
TripAdvisor
Boundary Hotel(Headingley)
TripAdvisor
All reviewscaptain's roomleeds rhinosplenty of hot waterfull englishwhat it says on the tintea and coffeefollowing morningcity centreexcellent value for moneydouble roomrugbyemmerdale
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 7, 2012

A hotel break of two halves, literally. Staff charming, breakfast excellent, decor dated but homey, spoke to other guests who were more than happy ... we had specifically booked a 3 bed ensuite but on arrival told we were booked into a standard because the ensuite was not available for both nights even though booking made 2 weeks previously with no contact to advise of change or explain. We were then shown to the stairs at the back of reception - yes, our room was in the basement !!! Stairs seriously scary, dark very steep lit by one bulb at top, carpet torn and slashed at bottom, corridor decor predominently dark brown with inadequate lighting, Doors dark brown and damaged with our door knob rickety to the point where I thought it was going to drop off, beds clean but creaky, the pallet duvets were thin (one of my friends bought a dressing gown to keep warm at night) The bedroom window was 6' high up the wall on level with the grating on the drive past the hotel. Bathroom, shared by all on corridor was large but there was signs of damp and mould. We began to call it the .AT. ROOM because the B and H was missing from the door sign, and notice inside warned that towels in there were for communal use. Ugh. - Towels provided in room but had to request fresh towel as one had large hole in it. Felt like we were in a sterotypical comic stag/hen weekend sitcom but tragi/comic side apart most worrying was the bedside lamps which we initially thought were touch lamps... no they were just the result of dodgy wiring, turn them on at the wall, give them a thump, light, another thump or two, off, but they were still switched on !.
Upstairs was like a different world...surreal - and now that we are returned home we can reflect thankfully that no-one fell and broke anything getting down to our subterranean retreat. Am not saying do not go, but make very very sure that you have accommodation above stairs !!

Room Tip: Double and triple check your booking and if they show you the downstairs staircase - run
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank susan w
Markalowther, Manager at The Butlers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review.
I am however very disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay.
We do take criticism seriously and feed back from our guests is a must.
I am very sorry your room was not what you had booked and I have looked into this and made the necessary adjustments to resolve this from ever happening again.
As you said you were booked in to one of our standard rooms that is on the ground floor, I am very sorry you thought it felt like a basement. We are currently refurbishing that stair case as we had maintenance issues with this before your stay.
In regards to your comment on the bathroom towels, I can assure you we do not have our guests share towels, each guest is provided with there own bath & hand towel on each bed. Your comment on the wiring of our lamps, all of our electrical equipment is P.A.T Tested. The lamps are touch lamps and get brighter when you touch it twice and three times the light goes off.
Once again I am very sorry you did not enjoy your stay.

Kind regards
Tom Fligg
Duty Manager
Butlers Hotel

Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed here with a £29 Groupon voucher. It was a great deal, inc drink on arrival and full English breakfast. The Ascot room was small and cosy, clean and tidy. The shower wasn't brilliant but did what it's supposed to! Although the hotel website stated there was home cooked food on offer in the evening the chef had recently left but no prob as we just walked into Headingley where there was plenty of choice to suit all budgets. There was a Leeds Rhinos match on but we were not disturbed by any noise at all. We would stay again - hopefully the chef will have been replaced!

Room Tip: The Ascot was up a couple of steep stairways and located at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank boyblue1964

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review.
I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Unforchantly we have not replaced our chef as we did not have a grate amount of people wanting food, as you said there is some lovely restaurants just a stone throw away from our hotel.
I hope to see you in the near futcher.
Kind regards
Tom Fligg
Duty Manager
Butlers Hotel

Reviewed August 6, 2012

I stayed for 3 nights while visiting Headingly for a Test Match. The location of the hotel was perfect and the staff were helpful and friendly. However, the place needs a complete refurbishment. The state of the carpets and furnishings is apalling and they need to be thrown out and a fresh start made. I had the Umpire's room. There was too much furniture there and a small fridge was placed on the floor when it could have been placed on a table, On opening it I found a part-eaten carton of ice cream which had been left by a previous occupant. In the bathroom a whole section of tiles is missing. The shower head refused to stay in its bracket and showering was difficult. Also as the room was on the top floor of the hotel the water pressure was very low and hot water took a considerable time to arrive. At breakfast, which was a disorganised free for all with insufficient tables for all the guests, I found that some of the cutlery was dirty which I pointed to a member of staff. The next day I suffered from diarrhoea which I cannot in fairness attribute directly to the hotel, but an assumption can be made. From that point on I didn't eat brealfast apart from a slice of toast.
The management of this hotel has a touch of FawltyTowers about it although I did not see any German guests. In its favour one could say that the moderate fees charged reflected the condition of the premises which is fair enough in a way.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor facing the cricket ground are probably the quietest.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank David G
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I and my Wife stayed at the Butlers Hotel; due to me working away we stayed there for over three months. We found that the staff was very pleasant and willing to help, the managers were also very helpful. Price wise this Hotel is great, and we will be going back to this Hotel again.

The accommodation was also good, and this hotel is within easy reach of the city centre, rooms was clean; the staff at the hotel even looked after our bags whilst our room was being made, because we turned up early. The Hotel has a nice friendly bar, with pool table. I would give this Hotel a ten out of ten rating.

Room Tip: Captains Room very good
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Brian R
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I booked a single room for 1 night. The hotel was what I expected for what I had paid save for one thing - the lack of any meaningful sound insulation between my room and the next door one.

I took wax earplugs as I read elsewhere about possible noise. They were totally ineffective. My neighbour was on his phone at various times between 2 and 3.30 am. He then laughed from time to time at (I assume) a book or programme on his laptop while wearing headphones. I banged on the wall at 4.45. He was suitably apologetic but I did not sleep at all from approx 2 am onwards. The only good thing was watching the dawn break over the cricket ground - which I could see from my window - and thinking of the amazing matches and feats that have taken place there over the years.

Granted that ringing people at that time of the morning might be odd but he was talking in a normal voice and was entitled to assume that that would not disturb anyone else. I could hear every word as if he was sitting next to my bed even with earplugs! The noise was not even muffled or just background.

The room seemed to be a larger room that had been divided with the most perfunctory plaster board. He belched at one point to the extent that it made me jump. I usually sleep well and deeply.

My daughter was in another single room upstairs and slept well, hence my "average" rating, but I had the most uncomfortable and disturbed night since my children were babies.

Room Tip: Avoid the single rooms facing the rear car park on the (I think it was) first floor.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family