“Will be back”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Headingley
accrington
“Will be back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

Had booked this hotel as we were attending a wedding at the cricket ground and it was within walking distance, having read the reviews on here we went with an open mind.The hotel is set in a leafy avenue with plentiful parking and the building looks quite impressive, it is very well located for local amenities there are at least a couple of pubs and restaurants within walking distance and some shops for those items you have forgotten.
Were we dissapointed on arrival NO not at all, If I wanted to be picky yes some of the carpets particulally on the staircases are looking past there best but they were clean, some of the paintwork could do with freshening up and the hot water pressure is low but I put that down to being on the top floor. Over all our party enjoyed their stay, all the staff we came across were pleasent and helpful and the breakfast buffet was varied and plentiful.
We had a deluxe room on the top floor which was well appointed and very light and the bathroom with bath and seperate shower with modern fittings looked as though it had been recently installed.
I am very particular about the places we stay in and am prepared to pay a little more for both service and for pleasant surroundings my philosophy is you pay travel lodge prices you get the travel lodge and to back that up I do a very comprehensive inspection of all the places we stay and to be perfectly honest apart from the few obsevation I made near the top I really could,nt fault Haleys and I would not hessitate to book in again if we are looking for a weekend away.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
HaleysHotel, Owner at Haley's Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, August 10, 2011
Thank You for your review we are currently undergoing decorating and re carpeting at Haley's and Bedford House which is the Annexe to Haley's Hotel, Since taking over the hotel from the administrators we do have an on going programme of updating the decor etc, although we have to be sensitive to the fact these buildings are grade II listed buildings, Nice to hear you enjoyed your stay hope re visit us again.

Regards Gordon Jowett
(owner)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Beverley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

Lovely hotel, friendly staff, but badly in need of some T.L.C. Owner drives Aston Martin, yet the hotel inside is sad - needs money spening. We stayed in Room 2 - things missing from walls, no where to sit and dry hair with a mirror, wardrobe doors need stripping and repainting. Door handles not fixed securely. Bathroom tired - window frames need stripping and repainting. Curtains hung down with no fixing. Kettle in room full - how long had it been stood. Hole in floor just outside bathroom door. Carpets dirty and in need of replacing or cleaning.

Friendly staff and food excellent, just the surroundings that need T.L.C.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank willij2504
As mentioned in some of the other reviews a decorating and carpeting programme is in progress Bedford House which is the annexe with 7 bedrooms will be completed by August 14th then we are turning our attentions onto the main building which is Haleys Hotel.
As for the car I drive I have to say I have recently treat myself having worked 50 years to a very nice car but Astin Martin I wish. The Car I drive is less than half the price. If it looks that good I would only be to pleased to tell you the make and it starts with J .

Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2011

Noted a range of comments from previous reviewers - and also noted the really proactive input by hotel, who have responded to nearly every review - really good effort! If only more did this.
However...I am writing this on my first evening - part 2 to come tomorrow when I leave.

First impressions: a bad mark, as I had sent an email five or six days earlier asking for info on/confirmation of wifi in rooms. (Hotel had responded to previous similar comment here by saying no problem with email!) I had mentioned I was one of a small business group staying here, and we were hosting a small conference for other people the following day, so we were bringing a fair amount of revenue to the place, and thought I would get at least some decent treatment! But no reply!

Arrived late evening - easy to find, good location, nice buildings.
Mentioned unanswered email - very helpful and pleasant receptionist found it in the 'spam' folder, with lots of similar emails to the official email address! I was told probably no wifi accessible in room as signal too poor,fully booked so no room swap possible.

Checked into my room (in the adjacent 'annexe' but an excellent size room). Door locks and handles quite some away apart so have to put all bags down as need two hands to open door. Small 'desk' lamp not working. Tried swapping bulb with bedside lamps - to no avail. Made me suspect some hidden 'lighting control' and eventually found it!

No milk in room. Kettle stupidly fitted with very short lead - which you have to bend to floor level to plug in. And then to unplug, as too short to pour water where it is. (Actually, this is a serious health and safety issue, and I feel hotel would be liable if anyone scalded themselves trying to pour from the kettle.)

Back to reception to ask for some milk, willingly provided..

No spare usable plug to use laptop, so had to move kettle to bedside table. Chair too low really for comfortable long-term use at the small 'desk'. Hotels today MUST cater for the business traveller and laptops; with wifi this is one of my core requirements.

Great bathroom, bath, shower, two large bath towels, nice toiletries. Went to use lavatory - disgustingly unflushed, and smelly.

TV - great large flat screen, with sleep function (another core requirement!). However freeview reception very poor - most only 46% signal strength. Seems very quiet, and sure will have good night - time will tell how tomorrow is handled!

Room Tip: If you want wifi - phone and ask for room able to receive
Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Jon007
Where do we start to reply with regards to this marathon review I sometimes think that some people have too much time on there hands and maybe this would be one of those occasions.
Having spoken to the course organiser she was most disturbed at this review and stated from her experience from organising the meeting and overnight stay in the hotel this review was over the top.
It is true we have work to do within haley's and as you may pick up from other responses the hotel is undergoing a redecorating programme.
I would disagree with the comments about breakfast and had I have known of this guests disappointment with Haley's I would of arranged for a transfer to his beloved Travel Lodge.
You are spared from the time been in reading 5 long paragraphs in part 2 I have no doubt that this may appear in 3 months time. It is rather sad to read reviews of this nature particullarly when you can speak to the owner face to face.

Watford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

Having spent a most pleasant few days here over Christmas, we decided to return for a summere visit, We were placed in room in the annex next door and to say that the furnishings were a little "tired" would be an understatement. Tne carpet was stained and the waste bins stiil had debris from the previous occupants - not a great advertisement for housekeeping! At 4.30 in the morning there was crashing and banging and loud voices talking on phones right outside our door as a the drunken occupants of the next door room arrived back from their evening out. My 9 year old son was woken with a start and was scared witless. The selfish people did not seem to care at all!!

Breakfast next morning was OK but cleanliness in the ding room had been neglected - the window sills being thick with dust.

Overall, Haley's is an opportunity lost. A hotel that has been lovely once but been allowed to slowly decay.

A great shame, and we will not be returning again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Malcatola
Opportunity lost we think it is an opportunity to be taken having taken over Haley's and Bedford House recently we have undertaken a programme in reconditioning the properties.
Bedford House in which you stayed had recently been decorated in magnolia and white the carpets since your visit have been proffessionally cleaned in all the bedrooms and the public areas are all to be replaced starting Monday 15th August .
I am sure that if you wish to revisit Bedford House you would be impressed with the changes we have made.

England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

All the team at Haley’s did a great job in helping to make our daughter’s wedding day such a memorable occasion. The rooms were spacious, comfortable and well-equipped, the restaurant served us well (including helpfully accommodating our early breakfast request on Saturday morning), and the staff couldn’t have been more courteous or helpful throughout our stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank You for your kind comments it is always appriciated when people take the time and trouble to make reviews (especially when there good ones).

Regards Gordon
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2011

For a 3 star hotel I was very disappointed.......... there's hardly anyone at reception and nobody to help carry heavy luggage up and down the stairs.
Internet service was extremely poor and I needed to keep asking them to re-boot.
Stingy with the loo paper!!!
Staff mostly helpful except for one young man who shocked me in the extraordinarily rude way he spoke to me.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
HaleysHotel, Owner at Haley's Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, July 10, 2011
Sorry to here this guests disappointment but would like to address some of the comments made. We should always put 2 quality toilet rolls in each room, it looks as though on this occasion the housekeeper has missed it but there is always spare toilet rolls kept at reception.
It is true that at off peak times we only have one receptionist on duty this is normally sufficient for a 26 bedroomed hotel.
As for the rude young man, unfortunately it cannot have been me as people stopped calling me young man some years ago I can only think it may of been the waiter but it is difficult to know as there has been some time lapse since the comment and your stay.
If this young man was a member of staff he should of offered to give you a hand with your luggage as I do.
It is true that from time to time we suffer with a weak signal with the internet but we are consatantly updating the system.
Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

Stayed here on night before cricket ODI against Sri Lanka. Friendly old hotel which has been tastefully modernised. The staff were all very friendly, in particular Bob at Breakfast. Thoroughly enjoyable stay - we will return and would recommend.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thanlk You for your kind comments hope you enjoyed your day at Cricket, and look forward to seeing you hopefully at next years test match, England V South Africa August 2nd -6th.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Headingley
Weetwood Hall Hotel
Best Western Plus Milford Hotel
Corn Mill Lodge Hotel
Corn Mill Lodge Hotel
#42 of 86 in Leeds

Been to Haley's Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!