“watch this space - see tomorrow's review for part 2” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Haley's Hotel and Restaurant

Haley's Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Headingley
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“watch this space - see tomorrow's review for part 2”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2011

Noted a range of comments from previous reviewers - and also noted the really proactive input by hotel, who have responded to nearly every review - really good effort! If only more did this.
However...I am writing this on my first evening - part 2 to come tomorrow when I leave.

First impressions: a bad mark, as I had sent an email five or six days earlier asking for info on/confirmation of wifi in rooms. (Hotel had responded to previous similar comment here by saying no problem with email!) I had mentioned I was one of a small business group staying here, and we were hosting a small conference for other people the following day, so we were bringing a fair amount of revenue to the place, and thought I would get at least some decent treatment! But no reply!

Arrived late evening - easy to find, good location, nice buildings.
Mentioned unanswered email - very helpful and pleasant receptionist found it in the 'spam' folder, with lots of similar emails to the official email address! I was told probably no wifi accessible in room as signal too poor,fully booked so no room swap possible.

Checked into my room (in the adjacent 'annexe' but an excellent size room). Door locks and handles quite some away apart so have to put all bags down as need two hands to open door. Small 'desk' lamp not working. Tried swapping bulb with bedside lamps - to no avail. Made me suspect some hidden 'lighting control' and eventually found it!

No milk in room. Kettle stupidly fitted with very short lead - which you have to bend to floor level to plug in. And then to unplug, as too short to pour water where it is. (Actually, this is a serious health and safety issue, and I feel hotel would be liable if anyone scalded themselves trying to pour from the kettle.)

Back to reception to ask for some milk, willingly provided..

No spare usable plug to use laptop, so had to move kettle to bedside table. Chair too low really for comfortable long-term use at the small 'desk'. Hotels today MUST cater for the business traveller and laptops; with wifi this is one of my core requirements.

Great bathroom, bath, shower, two large bath towels, nice toiletries. Went to use lavatory - disgustingly unflushed, and smelly.

TV - great large flat screen, with sleep function (another core requirement!). However freeview reception very poor - most only 46% signal strength. Seems very quiet, and sure will have good night - time will tell how tomorrow is handled!

Room Tip: If you want wifi - phone and ask for room able to receive
Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Jon007
HaleysHotel, Owner at Haley's Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, August 10, 2011
Where do we start to reply with regards to this marathon review I sometimes think that some people have too much time on there hands and maybe this would be one of those occasions.
Having spoken to the course organiser she was most disturbed at this review and stated from her experience from organising the meeting and overnight stay in the hotel this review was over the top.
It is true we have work to do within haley's and as you may pick up from other responses the hotel is undergoing a redecorating programme.
I would disagree with the comments about breakfast and had I have known of this guests disappointment with Haley's I would of arranged for a transfer to his beloved Travel Lodge.
You are spared from the time been in reading 5 long paragraphs in part 2 I have no doubt that this may appear in 3 months time. It is rather sad to read reviews of this nature particullarly when you can speak to the owner face to face.

Gordon Jowett
(Owner)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Watford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

Having spent a most pleasant few days here over Christmas, we decided to return for a summere visit, We were placed in room in the annex next door and to say that the furnishings were a little "tired" would be an understatement. Tne carpet was stained and the waste bins stiil had debris from the previous occupants - not a great advertisement for housekeeping! At 4.30 in the morning there was crashing and banging and loud voices talking on phones right outside our door as a the drunken occupants of the next door room arrived back from their evening out. My 9 year old son was woken with a start and was scared witless. The selfish people did not seem to care at all!!

Breakfast next morning was OK but cleanliness in the ding room had been neglected - the window sills being thick with dust.

Overall, Haley's is an opportunity lost. A hotel that has been lovely once but been allowed to slowly decay.

A great shame, and we will not be returning again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Malcatola
Opportunity lost we think it is an opportunity to be taken having taken over Haley's and Bedford House recently we have undertaken a programme in reconditioning the properties.
Bedford House in which you stayed had recently been decorated in magnolia and white the carpets since your visit have been proffessionally cleaned in all the bedrooms and the public areas are all to be replaced starting Monday 15th August .
I am sure that if you wish to revisit Bedford House you would be impressed with the changes we have made.

Gordon Jowett
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

All the team at Haley’s did a great job in helping to make our daughter’s wedding day such a memorable occasion. The rooms were spacious, comfortable and well-equipped, the restaurant served us well (including helpfully accommodating our early breakfast request on Saturday morning), and the staff couldn’t have been more courteous or helpful throughout our stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank You for your kind comments it is always appriciated when people take the time and trouble to make reviews (especially when there good ones).

Regards Gordon
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2011

For a 3 star hotel I was very disappointed.......... there's hardly anyone at reception and nobody to help carry heavy luggage up and down the stairs.
Internet service was extremely poor and I needed to keep asking them to re-boot.
Stingy with the loo paper!!!
Staff mostly helpful except for one young man who shocked me in the extraordinarily rude way he spoke to me.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
HaleysHotel, Owner at Haley's Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, July 10, 2011
Sorry to here this guests disappointment but would like to address some of the comments made. We should always put 2 quality toilet rolls in each room, it looks as though on this occasion the housekeeper has missed it but there is always spare toilet rolls kept at reception.
It is true that at off peak times we only have one receptionist on duty this is normally sufficient for a 26 bedroomed hotel.
As for the rude young man, unfortunately it cannot have been me as people stopped calling me young man some years ago I can only think it may of been the waiter but it is difficult to know as there has been some time lapse since the comment and your stay.
If this young man was a member of staff he should of offered to give you a hand with your luggage as I do.
It is true that from time to time we suffer with a weak signal with the internet but we are consatantly updating the system.
Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

Stayed here on night before cricket ODI against Sri Lanka. Friendly old hotel which has been tastefully modernised. The staff were all very friendly, in particular Bob at Breakfast. Thoroughly enjoyable stay - we will return and would recommend.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanlk You for your kind comments hope you enjoyed your day at Cricket, and look forward to seeing you hopefully at next years test match, England V South Africa August 2nd -6th.
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2011

We stayed last night at the hotel for our wedding anniversary. We live locally and many years ago remember the hotel as being at the higher end of the market. We now know that it has been taken over following the business being run down by previous owners.

We booked only a few days ago and got the last room due to a big party being booked in, although we were not told this at the time. Fortunately this did not impinge on our stay.

On the positive side, the staff were extremely pleasant and efficient right from our telephone booking, to the point where the door locked jammed on our return from breakfast, which we found quite amusing but it was professionally dealt with. Thanks to Sophie for arranging the wine and flowers to be put in the room.

The king size bed was very comfortable, the room clean with a good sized, recently renovated bathroom (although the shower pressure was low and there is nowhere to put shampoo etc. or hang towels close to the shower).

On the downside, no main course selection for myself as a vegetarian. On booking I had mentioned being vegetarian and was told that the chef would be informed so that I would have a choice of dish. There was only one vegetarian dish on the menu, this isn't what I call a choice. A member of reception staff did assure me that this would be pointed out to the manager. Despite that we had a very nice meal (disappointed with the allegedly "home made chips"!!!), accompanied by a good wine at a surprisingly reasonable price, in very pleasant surroundings. The breakfast was very good too, especially the croissants.

The room itself was fine, except for the furniture which is a little shabby. The tv could perhaps do with being moved as my husband almost knocked it over on the way to the bathroom!

In no way did the negative points highlighted detract from our visit as we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank You your comments have been noted.
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2011

I booked Haleys for my wedding in April as i wanted somewhere local that was good value for money which Haleys certainly is. The hotel is in a fantastic location near the amenities of Headingley and the city centre but is located on a quiet street which means the hotel is very peaceful. It is small and very definately not a large chain hotel which was perfect for us as it felt different - it was almost like being in a small country hotel. The decor of the public rooms is very fitting for the period of the building and i am glad they havent gone for modern as this would take away some of the charm of the place. While some bits are seeming a little faded (a little frayed carpet on the stairs etc) the whole place was very clean and had a lot of character. Myself and my husband stayed in a fantastic tower-room which has been assigned as the bridal room. For the price the room is advertised at (it was complimentary on our wedding night) it really was fantastic - brilliant bathroom with separate shower and bath, very comfy bed and plenty of room for me and my rather large wedding dress with plenty of space to hang it (including a very useful ceiling hook - a nice touch!) My only quibble is that they need a valance to cover the bottom of the divan - not very attractive but a small issue. Also a little more attention could be paid to the TV wires - some of which seemed a little precarious and could have done with being hidden away. Our room had obviously been re-decorated and this was done in a more modern style than the public rooms but still was sympathetic to the age of the building. But i know that not all of the rooms have yet been redecorated and may be suffering a little wear and tear. However, feedback from family members who stayed in the older style rooms was overwhemingly positive as the rooms were clean and comfortable and most importantly good value for money. Also i was happy that they had free wi-fi (which did work!!) which is more than many of the large chain hotels seem to be able to manage.

We had exclusive use of the hotel for the wedding which was brilliant - highly reccommended as we got the hotel's full attention throughout the day (and it is excellent value for money meaning those on a budget can still afford it!!). The level of service we received throughout the wedding day was outstanding. Everything went very smoothly and i felt the staff were very attentive and very helpful. It suprises me that some reviews have said that the service here has been bad as i genuinely felt it was fantastic - they were very helpful even when we started taking over the library the day before to put together the wedding flowers, even providing scissors and rubber bands when we needed them.

I must also mention the food as it was fantastic. The wedding breakfast was delicious with some of the best cheesecake I've had outside of New York!! Portions could have been a little smaller as many of us struggled to finish the large starter and even larger main. The evening buffet was brilliant and the quality of the food was a pleasant surprise - some fantastic sausage rolls and pizza that all looked homemade (we were expecting average buffet food, nothing very exciting, but what we got was so much better and very tasty). The breakfast the next day was very good - great selection of hot and cold food and some very nice scrambled egg (which many of us commented on).

Overall i highly recommend Haleys as a great little local hotel that certainly knows how to hold a wedding! They helped to make my day absolutely perfect and i recommend it as a fab venue. Only negative was that i stuggled to get hold of the events organiser a few times by email (phone is definately best with this place!) and some brides could have found the service pre-wedding a little too under-attentive (which did worry me slightly for the actual wedding day although i am very laid-back so wasnt too stressed). However i didnt need to worry as they more than made up for it on the big day and i certainly dont feel this comment should put off prospective brides!! They also changed staff between the time we made our (rather early) booking and the actual day which i think had quite a lot to do with that. It saddens me that Haleys has had quite a few negative reviews of late (which frankly worried me before my big day) but i feel that this is a little gem of a place full of character that exceeded my expectations. While some of the decor may be dated or frayed around the edges the hotel has a great feel to it and is a great example of a lovely little independant hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
      Location
      Rooms
3 Thank MrsStageman
Thank You for your kind comments and wish you a belated congratulations on your wedding and wish you all the very best for the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Headingley
Weetwood Hall
#28 of 87 in Leeds
Headingley Lodge
#3 of 9 in Headingley
Ascot Grange Hotel
#1 of 9 in Headingley
Leeds City Centre
The Chambers Park Place

Been to Haley's Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!