“Value for money” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Headingley
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

We stayed here on a deal, so what we payed we could not complain, rooms modem and nicely decorated, hotel had lots of facilities, Vinny and Vitto restaurant where we had evening meal and breakfast both very nice, the sports bar had a good atmosphere and a bonus it had a coffee bar in the hotel, the staff were all very helpful and friendly, only down side due to the hot weather the rooms were very warm windows only opened a couple of inches so not a good nights sleep but the beds were very comfy, needs air con in the hotel as very warm through out the

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a fan in your room if it is warm weather
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Ilminster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

Just a thank you to the hotel once again
I have stayed here a number of times over the last few weeks on business including the Bank Holidays
A relaxing environment, great value if you use the sites for deals and if requested ask for a quiet room
The hotel has lots of facilities Vinny and Vitto restaurant excellent and for more relaxed dining the sports pub is great with a wide choice of interesting and traditional fayre.
I stay in Leeds very regularly and have up to recently used a very up market city hotel, the village has a convert and where ever possible will be my choice of hotels when in Leeds

Room Tip: I suggest you ask for a quiet room although not a noise issue in the hotel it makes for a more restf...
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

I stayed here for one night on business. The hotel itself is quite nice, although the rooms and reception were quite dark and dimly lit. The room was basic, but clean, tidy and fairly comfortable. My only gripe is that the room was very stuffy and the windows only opened an inch or so, which led to a poor night's sleep as it was a very hot and humid night. A fan was provided in the room, but was too noisy to use at night. That aside, a pleasant stay.

Malton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for our wedding anniversary on 15th June. It was booked through Hotels.com and we paid extra for a King Room as oppose to a standard double, which we had assumed was a bit higher specification due to it being our wedding anniversary.

On arrival, I have to stay the reception staff were great. The customer service was outstanding.

After booking in, we discovered that our room was in the "extension" area of the hotel. This is quite a hike from the front of the hotel to the rear and involves numerous sets of stairs and lifts going up and down on the journey.

We thought we would benefit though as we had parked in the car park at the back of the hotel. The cleaner who was in our room on arrival said that we could bring in our luggage through the back door , but to make sure we had our key card with us to get back in. Yes, we could get out, but unfortunately, we could not get back in again, so we had to carry all our luggage from the back car park to the front of the hotel and then undertake the undulating hike through the hotel back to the room.

Once we arrived at our room after, I was left feeling quite disappointed. The room was very average and really nothing to write home about and seemed quite tired.

The beds are relatively comfortable, except the supposed king size bed is two singles pushed together and we did find ourselves feeling like we were falling down the middle of them several times during the night. The pillows are also very small and thin and are also very uncomfortable.

In the bathroom, there were signs of mould around the edge of the bath, and the shower has absolutely no pressure behind it at all.

As far as dining goes, we had the choice of the restaurant (Vinny and Vitos) or the pub (Victory Pub & Kitchen). I have to say, the pub menu sounded more suited to us, but there was a band playing in the pub and we preferred a quiet meal, so chose Vinny and Vitos.

Service in Vinny and Vitos was very good, and the value for money looked initially OK. However, this again was short-lived. We chose to have the starter plate from the market table, which would have been good value for money, had there been everything available that was listed on the menu, but there was only a very small selection available and therefore the choice was limited. What we did have though was nice.

I chose the burger, and at £17.50 expected great things. Unfortunately not - the burger was very small and eh side order of fries was virtually non-existent. To be honest, I could have gone to burger king and got the equivalent for a third of the price.

Breakfast the following morning was served in Vinny and Vitos, and again, it left us feeling a little disappointed.

It is all self service, which I dont have an issue with, but certain items were lacking. I know a full english in unhealthy, but the bacon and sausage were absolutely running with oil. The mushrooms were floating in a lot of water and very tasteless as were the scrambled eggs. The fried eggs werent too bad, but the yolks were all solid.

My wife asked for a pot of hot water, and when she poured it into her cup, it was all brown, I assume (hope) due to the pots not being cleaned inside.

Overall, the stay was "OK", but certainly not value for money. I had expected something special to celebrate our wedding anniversary, but it was not to be. We stayed in a premier inn in the middle of Leeds a few weeks earlier and paid a third less than we did at the Village, and I have to say, I preferred the Premier Inn in terms of Room quality and cleanliness.

The services is very good, but that needs to be backed up with a quality product.

This did spoil our wedding anniversary somewhat and we will not be rushing to return in the future.

Room Tip: Try to avoid being put in the extension - it is an absolute hike from either the car park / receptio...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank smlemmon
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014

I wrote a review of the restaurant in this establishment - Vinny & Vito - some time ago. I had e-mailed a complaint to them via their web site regarding the appalling food and service. Despite receiving an acknowledgment (automated) I never received a reply. I sent a reminder but nothing ever heard. On reading further reviews I can see they just don't give a damn, so don't go there!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Headingley hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

On checking in, a pleasant receptionist gave the impression of caring, attentive staff, but regrettably this did not prove to be the case.

The room (282) was at the farthest point from reception, not an issue really, but it was difficult to find as two elevators and one set of stairs were included in the journey. The light switch inside the room was dirty with fingerprints on the plate, and there were dead insects on the skirting below the window. The water pressure was very poor with a meagre trickle from the shower, which was over the bath. The bath plughole had trapped hair in the drain and the sink plughole appeared to be partly blocked as water took some time to drain away also. There was no a/c.

On going for a drink and meal, the bar person served me with one hand in his pocket during the transaction. It took 15 minutes after being seated in the restaurant before the order was taken for dinner. I chose a starter from the buffet on the menu which offered a very good selection, with my wife choosing a main course from the same buffet. The server stated that he would bring plates for us to help ourselves - 20 minutes later he re-appeared with the plates. On moving to the buffet, there were many items unavailable which had been offered on the menu - Iberian lomo, ham, salmon and manchego cheese. When I queried this with the server, he brought a plate of Parma ham and stated that my main course would be available in 15 minuted, which I accepted. However, within 5 minutes, my main course arrived while I was only partly through my starter.

On mentioning these problems to the receptionist the following morning on checking out, she took a few notes but did not appear interested at all.

I did not use the leisure facilities during the stay.

This is one hotel I will not be going back to.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near to reception.
Wigan, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in June. The hotel is an older Village building and the rooms are very outdated. Complained because the bathroom was dirty and there was no mattress protector on bed. Staff very helpful, moved me to an 'Upper deck' room which was very nice. Pool and facilities ok but I would not choose this hotel again. He village South is far nicer.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Headingley
Village Hotel Leeds South
Crowne Plaza Leeds
Crowne Plaza Leeds
#14 of 87 in Leeds
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,586 reviews

Been to Village Hotel Leeds North? Share your experiences!