“recharged the batteries!”

Woodlands Hotel Leeds
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gildersome
Reviewed July 6, 2009

Booked this hotel (on hotel website) at very short notice (6pm on the day I arrived), and got a great deal. Booked on the recommendation of a work colleague, as I had to stay over in Leeds unexpectedly. Was delighted when I arrived about 9pm on a warm night to find we were eating dinner outside on the terrace...my colleague had suggested I make time to eat as the food was so good! Great food (dinner & breakfast), lovely surroudings and friendly staff made my few hours (9pm - 8am) at Woodlands very enjoyable. One slight problem was the fire alarm going off in the middle of the night...but even so I would recommend a visit, and hope to stay a little bit longer some day myself. I was in the Chenille room (up in the eaves), "compact but bijou" with some lovely touches including A/C on a hot night.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed May 15, 2009

i went to a family wedding yesterday at the woodlands in gildersome and what a day, from the minute we arrived the staff could'nt do enough for you , it was the wedding of my nephew and now wife the grounds are beautiful, the food is delicious and everything was so tastefully done, i did'nt want to leave , wish we had an excuse to have another celebration. janice leeds

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 6, 2009

Whilst visiting my partner, a plumbing incident in his flat resulted in finding somewhere cheap to stay for a night so that we had a working toilet. £59 bed and breakfast for the night was a pretty good deal! We checked the website and couldn't believe how luxurious it looked!

The hotel was easy to find using satnav and upon arrival the hotel look very swanky. Reception was very ultra modern and funky looking, complete with a parrot! The guy at reception was nice, but he was slightly creepy and not very friendly. Our room was called Hodden and was lovely, very spacious complete with the biggest and most comfortable bed I have slept in for a long time! We had a neat little flatscreen TV, and a DVD player too with the option of free DVDs from reception. The tea and coffee selection was varied too, I was pleasantly surprised to find camomile and peppermint teabags! Oh, and, this hotel has a pillow menu.. need I say more?! One thing the room could do with is having power sockets next to the bed so it is possible to charge mobile phones/ipods. Also, bit of a dodgy lock.. I almost got caught running the corridors in my bathrobe.. ooops!

In the bathroom, we had the pleasure of having an air bath which I enjoyed a lot!! One thing about the bathroom which could be criticised is the lack of shef space and there was some mould and mildew in the cracks of the shower and bath. Nothing too major but things like that are so easily dealt with! The toilet also didn't flush very well which was slightly annoying! Oh and the door didn't lock.. this wasn't a huge problem but you don't really want someone walking in on you whilst you are in a compromising situation! Another downside about the bathroom was the unforsted glass window- especially when your bedroom looks onto the reception area and carpark! The Wine Delivery men almost got an eyeful of me! Although one thing which did impress me about the bathroom was the nice toiletries and the cosy bathrobes :)

Shortly after check in, decided to go for a bottle of wine in the bar, but upon looking at the overpriced menu, we opted for two glasses of red at a whopping £6 each- two words.. RIP OFF! The bar girl kept disappearing and when we went to pay, we had to get someone from reception- only to be told that she had cashed up and it had been charged to the room.. charming!!

The next morning, we arrived for breakfast ten minutes before it ended, but so what? Everyone does it, its our right! The girl was the rudest, most unfriendly waitress I have EVER experienced. She practically slammed my breakfast in front of me, and I couldn't even get half a smile from her. Disregarding her appalling service and attitude, the breakfast was very luxurious, tasty tasty! I had smoked salmon, scrambled eggs and a toasted muffin, whilst Chris had the full English. Presentation was lovely! I was so glad that the fruit was not tinned prunes and mandarin segments, but was slices of fresh fruit! Pineapple, plums, starfruit, melon.. mm! The yoghurt was also delicious- glass pots with light whipped fruity deliciousness!

All in all, GREAT value for what we paid! £59 for a room which is supposed to be £139! Bargain! I would definately stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank weelissa
Reviewed April 17, 2009

Fantastic boutique hotel, immaculate bedrooms, restaurant and bar, pleasant very efficient staff. Food in restaurant top class and excellent value, amazing find of a hotel....

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2008

This hotel was recommended to me by a business colleague. I stayed 1 night (Tuesday) for early meeting in Leeds the next day. As mentioned before, the hotel is set in beautiful grounds with plentiful free parking and easy to find. Decor is lovely and the hotel spacious. Reception and check in were good, directions to my room comprehensive and I was asked if I wanted help with my bags. So far, so good.

My room, however, was a disappointment. Booked through LateRooms, it was supposed to be an Executive Double but it had a very small double bed pushed against the wall which was only accessible from one side. Quite frankly if my other half had been staying with me, there would have been a fight - the bed is simply not big enough for 2 people to sleep comfortably. The room was also very small - L-shaped and minimalist but clean. Bathroom was nice but nowhere to put your belongings - it needs a shelf. Tea/coffee tray was in the wardrobe (!) and I struggled to find a socket for the kettle. In the end, I had to move the very small narrow table and get down on my hands and knees to plug it in. The only place to comfortably watch TV was by sitting/lying on the bed and turning the screen on an angle. You couldn't sit in the chair and watch TV - it was simply too close. Also, TV couldn't be operated from the remote - I think the batteries need replacing - so had to get up everytime I wanted to change channels. There was nowhere for me to easily work - I had to sit on the bed with my laptop on my knee and they knew I was there for business. As the hotel was not full and I had informed the Receptionist on checking in that it was my first stay and it had been recommended to me, surely it would have been OK to upgrade me rather than squashing me in the smallest room in the place? I did get the room at a very good rate so let it go but I would have complained if I had paid the rack rate.

I didn't eat dinner at the hotel but I did have room service breakfast. I ordered breakfast for 7.00am as I needed to check out and leave at 7.30am and it arrived at 8 minutes past. Not a huge issue but the hotel was nowhere near full and I can't understand why it was late. As the room was an odd layout and very small, the Room Service waiter actually struggled to get the tray through the door into the room. My cooked breakfast didn't have a plate cover on it so was lukewarm when it arrived - congealed baked beans and cold egg anyone? Also, the tray was too big to sit on the table (yes, the room and everything in it was THAT small) and I had to sit on a stool balancing my breakfast plate on the table looking directly into a mirror about 10 inches from my nose with my back to the TV.

And then we come to the noise. It was a Tuesday night in August, the hotel was not full and there were no Weddings or Parties taking place. But the noise from other guests and/or staff (?) was horrendous. The person(s) in the room on the floor above my cupboard sounded like a baby hippo practicising line dancing and throughout the night I could hear people laughing, talking, going to the toilet (nice) and noise from a TV. I think I eventually fell asleep about 1.00am ish only for the fire alarm to go off at 3.20am. The most worrying thing was that after I had got up, pulled on a pair of jeans and a shirt and went out onto the landing there was no-one about. I set off down the stairs and the alarm stopped. Even then I couldn't find anyone so went back to bed hoping it was a false alarm, which clearly it was! When questionning the Receptionist on checkout, all I got was in response was a nervous giggle and "sorry about that."

This hotel has so much going for it and it could be an absolutely wonderful experience BUT and it a big but, it needs to sort out the small stuff and put some thought to it. Would I stay here again? Well, yes I would give it another go as reading some of the other reviews, it sounds as if I might just have been really unlucky with my room allocation. However, I would ring the hotel and request a different room prior to checking in. And the room in queston ................ "Worsted" on the 1st floor - if you're given this one on checking in, ask for another. You'll be glad you did.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Bristol_J_and_L
Reviewed March 4, 2008

We stayed at Woodlands Hotel for one night on a business trip to the Leeds area, the hotel had been recommended to us by friends who have eaten at the hotel. The hotel is pretty impressive and there are some nice touches, you can select DVDs to watch in your room, there's a well stocked mini bar and nice toiletries etc., although I do think the 'Pillow Menu' where you can allegedly select your own pillow for the evening was a little too pretentious. The rooms and bathroom are fairly spacious, clean and comfortable. Now to the bar and restaurant…..again, the bar and restaurant are both nicely styled but I found both areas to be quite cold in temperature and a bit lacking in atmosphere. I was also disappointed with some of the staff, one lady in particular! We were asked by the bar waitress whilst ordering drinks and booking a table for the restaurant, whether we were both resident at the hotel and were we 'staying together'', not quite sure what it had to do with her..... I felt she was being overly officious. Having said all of this, the food in the restaurant is fabulous and doesn’t disappoint, although a tad expensive. I would definitely recommend staying here, I just hope they get the bar and restaurant staff trained up in customer service.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 1, 2008

We booked Woodlands for our wedding in December 2007. We had a wonderful weekend at the hotel and the service we received throughout our stay was excellent. We stayed in the penthouse suite - very spacious (dining area, living room, dressing room, seperate toilet, bedroom with sitting area and ensuite). The decor in the hotel is modern and everywhere seemed very clean and well maintained. As we hired the whole hotel for the wedding we also had a peek in many of the other rooms - all guests were very happy with their rooms. The food was also very good. We ordered room service the night before the wedding and our wedding meal was super - I also think the food is quite reasonably priced too. Breakfast was a treat.... a selection of fuit, cereals, breads, pastries to pick from and a hot breakfast cooked just for you.
Our only criticism of the hotel was that it was very noisy the night before our wedding. There was another wedding on the Friday night and they had a disco until midnight. Although we were warned that it would be a little noisy, it was louder than we were expecting.... so our advice would be to check if there is a function on when you book.
All in all we would definitely recommend Woodlands to anyone.... it is reasonably priced and the service and standards of the rooms are very very good.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CatSom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gildersome
Leeds City Centre
Leeds City Centre
The Chambers Park Place
Quebecs
#8 of 87 in Leeds

Been to Woodlands Hotel Leeds? Share your experiences!