“Needs a refurbish but great food and smart and helpful staff”

Arden Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bickenhill
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Needs a refurbish but great food and smart and helpful staff”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I would suggest when it was built this was a very nice hotel, however the carpets are very stained in the bar area and faded and fraying throughout the rest of the hallways and stair area and it could do with a bit of a refurbish in my opinion.
They have a very laid back approach to fire safety as the PAT testing is nearly 3 month out of date and when we arrived all the bedroom fire doors were propped open with coat hangers on the floor preventing them from shutting.
By the stairs in one hallway on the way to our room there was a huge red bin stuffed with bedding and a cardboard box on the floor in front overflowing with more bedding and this stayed there through our stay. The extractor fan in the bathroom was full of fluff/dirt and did not look like it had been ever cleaned out :-(
On the positive side the staff were all smartly dressed and attentive and the food is excellent and very very reasonably priced, We had a 3 course meal with a bottle of house white and coffee for around £60.00.
The rooms are adequate and you have everything you need and the water was hot and the room serviced daily.
Breakfast was extra at £7.50 for continental and £10.00 for cooked hot hold as we were there 2 nights I sampled both and they were both very nice.
We used the pool and spa but unfortunately the steam room was not working.
I think if this hotel had a refurbish it would be excellent, but the fact that it is tired may have been reflected in the price of the stay which was very very reasonable in my opinion.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the main road can be very noisy if you sleep with the window open.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Karen164,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor.

I will first and fore mostly address your comments with regards to Fire Safety at the hotel, PAT testing is completed annually on a rolling programme and I will address with our PAT tester that it appears there may be a couple outstanding, and get these prioritised as a matter of urgency. I have spoken with our Housekeeping Manager with regards to the door hanger issue and we will ensure that this does not re-occur.

I have reviewed the comments you have made with regards to the appearance of the hotel and we are continually working to improve our image, as part of our refurbishment programme, our bedroom corridors are being refreshed and modernised ad we look to continue to give you an outstanding experience in the future.

I appreciate all your feedback and am pleased you found us value for money and enjoyed your breakfast experience. I hope to welcome you back to us again in the near future.

Michael Simpson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Arden for 2 nights when we went to the NEC for the bike show. Firstly the hotel is an easy 10 minute walk to the NEC which is very convenient. On arrival the hotel looked nice from the outside and going to reception it looked a lovely hotel. Reception staff were friendly and polite. However as you progress through the hotel it begins to look a little dated and tired. The room was clean and looked recently decorated. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom though clean and adequate was dated and tired. The bar was fine and the staff pleasant. Bar snacks were ok. The carpet in the bar area could do with replacing. We had a very enjoyable meal in the restaurant (top class). Breakfast was typical for buffet style (sausages were too cheap though). Overall for what we paid it was an enjoyable stay and a good spot for the NEC.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Biggosh,

Thank you for your feedback.

As you may have seen on previous reviews we are in the middle of a refurbishment with a view to improve the tired appearance of the hotel and make it more to the liking of the modern traveller. This work is underway and will be ongoing in 2014.

Your comments with regards to the sausages were taken on board, and we have reviewed these and opted for an alternative sausage in the future.

I look forward to welcoming you back to us again for your next stay in the area.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed November 24, 2013

I went again to the Arden - I go to an exhibition at the NEC each year and wanted to update. It has not changed much which is good and bad! The retsaurant is still quite good and the staff are friendly. I think that the rooms are getting bit more tired but then aren't we all :-). The bar and restaurant staff are still the usual mix of young and untrained, and the experienced ones who keep it running.
The bar still has only tasteless fizz for beer from the pump and not even interesting beer in the fridge. It would not be too much to ask for to put a few bottles of old speckled hen or something similar in the fridge, surely. I can understand that with the really young (and presumably cheap) bar staff that you employ, running a good draught beer would be impossible but a few bottles should be possible!!!!
But they do have Marmite for breakfast - that is an advance

Dear bluekraut,

Thank you for your comments with regards to your stay at Arden Hotel NEC.

We appreciate your comments and feedback on the team being young and untrained, and we are addressing this with a a matter of concern, we are launching a new training programme in January with a view to resolve any training issues in the business that may still be unresolved.

I have fed back your comments with regards to the beer to our Bars & Lounge Manager who will review our offering. The feedback we receive on our beers are generally very good, but I appreciate not all beers are to each person's taste.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future, and rest assured - we will not be taking away the Marmite!

West Midlands
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We went for a meal on the 3/11/2013 which was nice. Unfortunately I went into the ladies toilet and caught on my new coat on the silver metal fixture on the door frame of one of the toilets, it is very sharp as are all the metal fixtures on the toilets. I complained at reception and left my telephone number I never received a call back until I chased it up. I then sent a copy of the receipt of the coat which I was asked to do, I never received a reply until once again I followed it up. The manager advised that he did not consider it a health and safety risk, even though there were several ladies in the toilets all of whom witnessed the event and two ladies offered their phone numbers in case of any issues with the damage to my coat. However, the manager is adamant that there are no problems with the toilets. This rant is really all about warning you ladies to be careful on entering the cubicles and not catching your clothes or even bare arms on the fixture.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KITWestMidlands

Travelers are raving about these Bickenhill hotels

Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights whilst judging at the Skills Show at the NEC in November.

The good:
Excellent location within 10 mins walking distance of the NEC itself.
Room spacious, clean and serviced each day, with a good tea tray. Clean bathroom with good bath and shower and no problems with the hot water. Reasonably comfortable bed. Free Wi-Fi in room.
Excellent choice at breakfast of full English (buffet), continental plus fruit, cereal and yoghurts, fresh coffee and tea. Very nice.
Evening meals in the restaurant were nice, if varying in quality and portion size throughout stay. I wasn't paying as on expenses, but seemed a little pricey for what you got. Service was fine, but not outstanding.
Staff were pleasant at all times and check in/out was quick and easy.

The Bad:
Nothing to mention really, slight road noise, slight smell of cigarette smoke if window left open, picture quality on TV quite poor - but these are just slight niggles.

Overall enjoyable and comfortable stay. Would stay again. Didn't use pool or spa so can't comment, however it did look nice!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear andrewclaridge,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to review us on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased you had a good stay with us and enjoyed the experience for Skills Show 2013. I hope to welcome you back to us next year for the show.

Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I stayed here about 4 years ago with family, but returned recently for a short business trip whilst attending a conference at the nearby NEC.

The hotel hasn't changed much in the interim, offering a reasonable level of service and room quality for the price.

Parking is plentiful and free, and a 15 minute walk takes you via the NEC train station directly into the back end of the conference facilities.

The hotel decor is looking very worn and badly needs replacing. The room heating/cooling system was a little temperamental (totally analogue controls) but adequate once I got it set just so. There was a little external noise in the room; surprisingly this mostly consisted of train noise rather than from the nearby airport, but nothing too excessive really.

Breakfast was busy but reasonably well serviced. I didn't try the bar or restaurant for dinner for comment. There is a pool/health club, although again I didn't see it on this visit.

Conclusion: It's not my first choice when going to the NEC, but the Arden Hotel is an adequate second.

1 Thank H0nestB0b
Dear H0nestB0b,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I appreciate your comments about the lack of changes in the hotel in the last four years, and we have addressed the need for refurbishment, and we are currently working on improvements in the main public areas and bedrooms to deliver you a better quality experience.

I hope for your next visit to the area, you give us another try and the opportunity to rectify the experience you have had previously.

Yours faithfully,

Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights at the Arden recently. Arriving Sunday evening just in time to see the last of the match on Sky Sports - have to say the chairs in the TV room really need replacing as they look like they have seen better days!
The room was clean and looked out over car park - I heard nothing but my two colleagues said that they could hear some Train noise. Bed was fine.
The staff were great, quick to deal with booking in and out and service was generally excellent.
We ate in the main resturant on two nights and received excellent service - the roast beef on Sunday was not the best of choices on the menu! In general I would say fair to good.
Would certainly use again as this is the best location for NEC without a doubt at a reasonable price!

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear DannyJ487,

Thanks for your review, I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us at the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to us again in the near future. Hopefully next time you will get a chance to use the pool and leisure club too.

Michael Simpson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bickenhill
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#25 of 117 in Birmingham
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC

Been to Arden Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!