“NEC Business Trop”

Arden Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bickenhill
“NEC Business Trop”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I normally stay at the Hilton when visiting the NEC as it is walking distance. Tried the Arden this tim and it was OK. Short drive to NEC where I had free parking anyway.

Arden had free wi-fi and free parking. Breakfast was typical buffet style and quite tasty. Didn't eat in restaurant but had room service one night.

Used the pool and steam room, absolutely fine.

Is use it again for a business trip

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Mike1701d,

Thanks very much for your feedback on your stay with us, I am glad we met your expectations and had a pleasant stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to us in the near future for your next stay on the NEC complex.

Michael Simpson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Tyne & Wear
Reviewed May 24, 2013

stayed here for a night during a recent exhibition at the NEC, the room was clean but very small. The restaurant had hardly anything available and the breakfast left a lot to be desired! The only good thing is the location, being so close to the NEC etc. I'd rather stay at a travel lodge next time!

Dear yetibjj,

Thank you for your comments and feedback on your stay with us at the Arden Hotel & Leisure Club.

I will take your comments up with the Head Chef with regards to the availability of stock in the kitchen of certain items as it is very rare that we sell out of items, and therefore I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

Your breakfast comments will also form a discussion point as well, we have recently reviewed our buffet and added additional items to make sure we have a competitive breakfast offering therefore I am sorry to learn this did not meet your needs.

I would appreciate it if you have the time to contact me with regards to your stay with us, as we are working hard to ensure we meet the needs of all our customers, and your direct feedback regarding your breakfast would be very much appreciated.

Michael Simpson

Travelers are raving about these Bickenhill hotels

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Stayed here for two nights whilst attending a conference at the NEC. Excellent location, within waliking distance to the NEC and free parking. Room was nice, very clean and cool, which as a menopausal lady I find lovely!
Dined at the restaurant both nights, the food and service are amazing, and reasonably priced, £20 for 3 courses.
breakfast was good.
Would stay again

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Debhort42,

Thanks for your review, and I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

We get a lot of positive feedback about our restaurant and quality of our offering so I appreciate your comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back to us in the near future.

Chicago, IL
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I just returned from a multiple night stay at the Arden Hotel and Leisure Club in the nice city of Birmingham. I was attending a trade event at the nearby NEC. After reading many reviews here both before my trip and now after, I have decided that what this hotel needs is a good, thorough, and balanced review (no offense anyone). As I always do, I will rate this hotel in the following categories: The Great, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Then, I will answer THE review question - if I return will I stay there again. Ready? Here goes . . .

GREAT

* Amenities: in some ways the Arden offers guest amenities beyond what a hotel in this price range generally would. By virtue of being a guest at the hotel you will have access to a nice pool, sauna, and work-out area that goes a tad beyond this price range. But, these areas are not available to hotel guests only. When I went for a work-out, I had to share a work-out area with several other dudes who where locals. I didn't get that - the work-out area was nice for a hotel guest but seems way too limited as a permanent work-out spot. Also on amenities . . . my room featured a trouser press. I have NEVER seen that before and it was appreciated as I was there suiting it up for business. I also liked the heated towel rack. I know this is more common in Europe but I love it as I tend to sink wash often when overseas.

* Staff: I found the staff to be pleasant and helpful at all times - from the persons at the front desk offering directions to the staff in the in-house restaurant to the fellow in the gym that situated me to be able to shower and change when I arrived as my room was not ready for check-in yet. This is a good hotel staff that should be commended.

GOOD

* The Burgundy: while I would highly recommend any business visitor staying at the Arden to train it into town for dinner, my first night in and still wiped-out from the flight, I decided to eat at the in-house restaurant - The Burgundy. It was fantastic. I had a crazy delicious meal and experienced very good aforementioned service. The outlaying lobby bar / lounge areas looked great too and would serve your party well for impromptu meetings and relaxation.

* The Rooms (good - pt. I): My room was one of the bigger Euro hotel rooms I have stayed in recently. The bathroom was spacious and nicely equipped. I did like being able to open a window - the weather there last week shifted greatly.

* Location (good): The location is good for a trip to the NEC and for anyone flying out of Brum International - BHX. This hotel might have worked better if I had a car but I was terrified of driving here for fear of massive head-on accidents and my American instinct to drive on the right side. Still, not having a car did not hinder me. But, there is a downside to this location that I will get to . . .

BAD (room for improvement)

* The Rooms (bad - pt. II): many have mentioned it so I will not belabor the point but . . . yes, the rooms and many common areas are a tad out of date. The best hotel rooms give you the feeling that you are the ONLY one who has ever stayed in that room. My room at Arden did not give me that impression. While I think the rooms are clean, they are just clean 'enough'.

* Noise / Claustrophobia: there seems to be a lot of noise from the hallways - you can really hear / feel someone just walking by outside. But, there are many sets of sectioned doors which cut down on the background noise a bit. The hallways here are long and very narrow. Not a big deal, but you feel a tad claustrophobic navigating the hallways. This is NOT the case in other common areas though, including the nice open & airy lobby.

* Location (Bad): As stated earlier, this location is very convenient to the NEC or BHX but . . . there is a downside to this convenience, especially if you don't have a car: there is NOTHING anywhere near it - nowhere to eat, nowhere to shop, etc. If I wanted water or light snacks I had to hit the neighboring gas station, the only non-office building anywhere near. I think this is an area people work in only to get away from at night.

UGLY

* Temperature Control: I woke to one particularly unseasonably cold morning and tried to heat the room a bit. There is a very old radiator system in place that - regardless of how I turned the old dial - never produced any heat. I don't think it worked at all. But, I lived.

BOTTOM LINE

* This is a better hotel if you have a car, but not a terrible choice if you do not.

* I thought I received very good value for the rate and do not at all regret staying here. Calibrate your expectations accordingly and you will not be disappointed with the Arden.

* It was nice to not have to navigate trains in the morning to get to NEC and it was only a ten minute walk. But, I did find I had to navigate trains at night anyway if I wanted to go anywhere.

* Now, if I ever return to Brum will I stay there again? That's tough. I liked the hotel but would probably like to stay a little more in town too. I would give due consideration to the Arden but would be tempted to at least consider other options.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have Q's

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear ShoelessJeff,

Thank you for your very comprehensive review on our hotel.

You have mentioned a lot of very good and positive points, as well as highlighted some areas for improvement for me to address with my management team.

I appreciate you taking the time to give such a detailed review, and I hope to welcome you back to us in the future.

selston
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stopped for a night before catching a flight from Brum Airport. Paid 55 quid and got free parking for 10 days. Room good and clean, bar food good and well priced - even a decent pint(s) of beer. Very Happy :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rich R
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Rich R,

Thank you for your feedback, I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back to us in the near future for your next flight from Birmingham Airport.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed here for two nights as was flying to Ireland. Very Very poor. bed was very uncomfortable and wall paper hanging off in 7 places. For the price per room and no food included in this, it was very bad. Staff not sure what they are doing. Very confusing.

Room Tip: Do not bother booking into this hotel
1 Thank Linda S
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Linda S,

I am sorry to hear that we didn't meet your expectations.

Whilst I appreciate your feedback, based on your comments, to help us improve our service, please could you contact me with regards to your stay, so I can gain some specific information on your stay, as your comments are reasonably generalised.

Thanks in advance.

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night for a show I was visiting at the NEC. I had trouble finding it first of all from exiting the motorway as it was on the opposite side to the side I needed! The very short slip road to the hotel appears very quickly from nowhere so drive slowly and keep left!

Once in the welcome / check in was pleasant and quick, free toiletries' nice touch.

Walls are pretty thin, could hear people in their bathrooms... typical of a hotel I suppose and to be expected.

The rooms are ample and comfortabe, everything I needed was there. I didn't use the facilities as I didn't have time. Ordered a continental breakfast for delivery to my room which was on time and as expected if not maybe a little pricey for what it was.

I would definitely stay here again if I need to visit the NEC. Can't grumble at all for £68 on late rooms.

Room Tip: Room 168 was ok, not overlooked at all.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Michelle C
Dear Michelle C,

Thanks for your review Michelle!

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to welcoming you back to us soon.

Michael Simpson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bickenhill
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#23 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Arden Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!