“Below par, but friendly, clean and reasonable value”

Arden Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bickenhill
Reviewed May 18, 2013

This Hotel really is nothing special, bland, vanilla and boring - but on the up side, clean and tidy. Friendly staff were quite helpful. The gym is a little limp so not one for serious fitness fanatics, but again just fine for the middle of the road type. There is nothing to complain about particularly, it is too plain to make anything stand out. Breakfast was way below par. My wife had continental and it was way off the mark. The fruit salad was so old it had that sharp and acid-fizzy taste of fermenting fruit, it must of been not just yesterday, more like last weeks!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear Howard B,

Thanks for your review!

I am sorry we didn't meet your requirements, we aim to offer a high level of customer service and product to all our customers.

We have recently completed a review of our breakfast offering and therefore I apologise if we didn't meet your requirements. The fruit salad is refreshed daily, and therefore you should never experience the issue you have noted, so will address this with our Head Chef and Breakfast chefs.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future, if there is anything else you would like to bring to my attention, please do not hesitate to let me know direct on 01675-443221.

Michael Simpson

Write a ReviewReviews (1,668)

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Stayed while on business at a trade show at the nec. Brilliant location and super close to the airport. But its a horrible place to stay. The beds are tiny and the mattress is the worse i have had in a long time.
The carpet us pure stinky around the whole place. I am sorry i got my team boojef in here. A wedding took place last night we did not get any sleep

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank BobLeKachal
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Stayed here as we were attending a show at the NEC, which this is very handy for, we could even walk and leave the car at the hotel.
The reception is very smart and the staff very friendly.
The rooms are now starting to look tired and dated, this day and age we are all used to duvets, but here its sheets and a bedspread.
Breakfast is fine, the main restaurant is awful food for the price, terrible staff and the bar food is average.

Room Tip: Like other have said avoid rooms near fire doors, sounds like bombs going off everytime some one goe...
1  Thank tn62wilts

Dear tonyandmandy,

Thanks for your feedback on us!

We are in the process of changing our rooms over to duvets in the coming months, with 50% of our rooms already converted and more coming daily.

As you may have read previously from my responses, we have identified some rooms in need of renovation and will be working on this over the forthcoming year.

I would like it if you have the time to contact me regarding your dinner, as our food is all freshly prepared for our restaurant, and we have a very highly skilled chef team - who usually deliver very good satisfaction for our guests. Therefore your comments are a significant concern for both myself and my Head Chef, and would appreciate some direct feedback on your meal.

I hope to welcome you back to us in the near future.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I really wanted to give this hotel a good review following all the previous positive reviews but unfortunately in some instances I was disappointed.We stayed for one night as we were going to a concert at the LG Arena. We normally stay at the Hilton Hotel but thought we would give the Arden a try.

Firstly the staff on the whole were friendly, helpful and extremely professional. The reception area looks very smart and inviting but our room looked rather tired and needed a facelift. There wasn't a telephone which was a problem when we wanted to contact reception. This was despite a card displayed on the dresssing table showing useful telephone numbers! The hospitality tray was very poor. Only one teabag and one sachet of coffee. Normally I would have rang reception or housekeeping but had to go downstairs to request more tea and coffee. I was disgusted at the response I got. I was advised I could buy tea and coffee from the bar and take it to my room. Sorry but I have never experienced this before and I refuse to pay their prices.This is a total rip off so we decided to forfeit our morning drink.
We enjoyed a reasonably priced meal in the bar. We would have prefered to have eaten in the restaurant but it doesn't open until 6.30 and we were going out at 6.45.However it was well cooked and again the staff in the bar were very welcoming.Breakfast was plentiful and again the staff were professional and attentive.
Would I stay again? Not quite really but we will be in the area again for the Good Food Show in November. However I had better remember to take my own tea and coffee!!

Just one extra niggle. Everytime we looked outside of our bedroom window staff ( kitchen staff) were outside smoking. This was in their chef uniforms which I find rather unhygenic. I know staff are entitled to their break but smoking in an area where guests can see them (and smell cigarette smoke) is not very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isn't next to a fire door. You won't get a lot of sleep as other guests...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank holidayfever

Dear holidayfever,

Thank you for your comments and feedback, I appreciate your positive comments with regards to our Reception team and will ensure this is communicated to the team and their manager.

As you may have seen on my responses to previous reviews, we have a small quantity of bedrooms that are in need of renovation. These rooms are being focused on this year, and we are looking at making improvements where necessary to these.

All our rooms should have come with a direct dial telephone which is working well, and therefore our At Your Service team will have brought additional tea and coffee to your room on request. I have had a conversation with our housekeeping team to make sure that we have more sufficient stock on the in room amenities. We will always re-stock your tea and coffee on request in your room, and therefore I apologise about the mis-communication and you being sent to the bar.

Your comments regarding our catering team smoking have been addressed with my Head Chef, as we have strong hygiene policies in place to ensure this sort of conduct is not happening and therefore I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, and I hope to welcome you back to us in the near future.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed at this hotel because the company that is unwise enough to employ me had organised a conference there. I checked in on 6th May, looking to enjoy a pleasant swim and an early night. However, the fitness centre had closed early because it was a Bank Holiday - which was quite disappointing. The room was OK, nothing special but clean and big enough. The mattress however was NOT comfortable, being far too firm. I recognise that for some people, firmness is a good thing (and as I write this I don't like where it's going!). The bathroom was a good size, but the fixed shower head was a bit low for me (i am a six footer, but that is not exceptional these days). Plenty of good quality towels and good toiletries. Also free WiFi without the need for a troublesome password.

However, at £55 excluding breakfast, this was a bargain, it was easy to find, and I managed to park right outside reception. I din't sample the breakfast, but we were supplied with bacon rolls at the conference which were pretty much what you would expect them to be. The buffet lunch was a bit underwhelming, but that was not my responsibility or choice.

I did get to the fitness centre in the morning and swam 60 lengths of the pool, but to be fair that is not very far. It was in quite good shape though (unlike me) and the staff were friendly and courteous at all times without being obsequious. They made the experience rise above the ordinary so kudos to them.

Overall, a good place to stay if you want to lay your head down for the night

Dear John W,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor and for your feedback.

I appreciate your comments with regards to the mattress and the leisure club opening times. In order for me to investigate this further please let me know where you stayed and I can investigate these issues with regards to the mattress and the location of the shower head.

I am pleased you enjoyed your time in our leisure club, and we are continually reviewing our opening times over holiday periods to ensure we meet guest demands, so will feed your comments back to my Leisure Club Manager who will ensure this is reviewed for our May Bank Holiday weekend.

Once again thank you for your time and feedback, and I look forward to welcoming you back to us again in the future.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night as I was going to see pink at the lg arena. But she cancelled. So had no choice of what to do so just stayed in the hotel. The reception staff and the bar staff was polite, friendly and happy to help. Went and used the lesiure club, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi and had a fab time was well worth it.

Went for a 3 course meal in the restaurant & the food was brilliant. Well worth it for the money. & again the staff was helpful polite and friendly.

Overall I would come and stay here again and would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank RLD_x
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear RLD_x

Thank you for your lovely review.

I look forward to welcoming you back for the re-scheduled concert date in the near future.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed at the Arden Hotel on just one night, when seeing a show at the NEC.
So easy to find,why dont some of the other hotels follow suit.
Good reception....,a smile and hello,makes such a difference.
Rooms.... clean,good size.would have been nice to have had a small fridge.
Breakfast....really good,plenty of fresh food,of all kinds,staff yet again very helpful.

One problem.....TAXIS
As the taxi had a contract with the Arden, price to NEC £5......Coming back!!!! after at least 30mins, a taxi! but not ours, eventually, we go,only to find price £9-40 OOOPs

Room Tip: couldn't advise, haven't stayed before,but we will be back.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Diane F
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Diane F,

Thanks for your great feedback on your stay with us at Arden Hotel, Solihull.

I am pleased we met your expectations, and will hand your feedback to the team. I look forward to welcoming you back to us in the near future for your next event at the NEC.

Michael Simpson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bickenhill
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Travelodge Birmingham Airport
Travelodge Birmingham Airport
#19 of 119 in Birmingham

Been to Arden Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!