“Basic, but does the job”

Arden Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bickenhill
Stirlingshire, United Kingdom
“Basic, but does the job”
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

Very close to the NEC, this hotel serves its purpose well for business.
Rooms of reasonable size, and quality.
Staff are good and attentive. Food is a little bit hit and miss, and restaurant and indeed hotel in general looking a bit out of date and old fashioned now.
That said, good value for money, and this brings me back to first point.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SandySwindon
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear SandySwindon,

Thank you for your comments and feedback on your stay at Arden Hotel NEC.

I appreciate your comments on the hotel, and we are continually working to improve and evolve the experience for you as our guests, and therefore for your next stay, I hope to welcome you back to a continually improving hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Michael Simpson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Greeted well by reception. Room was a good size, clean and tidy. Bathroom was showing signs of age. Staff were friendly. Cooked breakfast was extra £10 each. Sausages and bacon were of a reasonable quaility, fried eggs were over cooked. We were able to leave our car at the hotel and walk to the NEC about 10mins away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear PCMagicMan,

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased that you were pleased with your stay.

I will address your comments regarding your eggs at breakfast with a Brasserie Manager, as the Breakfast Buffet is checked and replenished every 20 minutes during service, more frequently when busy, so the eggs should never have been of a poor quality.

When you are next back in the Birmingham Airport/NEC area, I look forward to welcoming you back to us.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed for 5 nights while doing an event at the NEC. It is a nice hotel, somewhat old fashoned, with a maze of corridors but clean and bright, definitely not part of a clone chain. We asked for a quiet room on an upper floor and were given a room that was at the end of a corridor with no through traffic but on the first rather than second floor. However we did not hear any noise from above so that was fine. The room faced the road but as there was secondary glazing in addition to the double glazing there was no noise - not sure it woukld be so good if you wanted the windows open though.
It was really nice to have a swim each morning followed by time in the jacuzzi, there was also a steam room. The pool was small but clean and well kept and there was plenty of towels. The gym looked better than average too, although I did not use this.
We had dinner in the hotel one night and this was very good value - 3 courses for £20 and the food was very good. However we also ate in the bar one night as we wern't very hungry and wanted a quick meal, but it took over 30mins for the food to arrive. We were not the only ones to wait and one family nearby got half their food which was eaten, before the rest of the table got theirs. I feel we should have been warned of the delay when we ordered as we would then have had a choice to go elsewhere.

Room Tip: We had room 199 which was a long walk from reception but a good distance from the leisure centre (fa...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear DebbyM,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club.

I appreciate your feedback with the bar food being slow, and unfortunately on the evening in question there was an unexpected demand for service on food which caused a delay, which I agree, you should have been informed of at the time of ordering, so this will be addressed with my Bars Manager.

Your feedback on the hotel is very much appreciated, especially with your comments regarding the quietness of the rooms, which is something that people are always concerned about when booking a hotel adjacent to a major road. It is something that we have taken seriously, and worked to ensure that the noise level doesn't impact our guest experience.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Bracknell, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Booked this hotel as we were up at the NEC for Gadget show live. Excellent location, 15 minute walk from the NEC and not too far from the airport.
Arrived 2.5 hours before the official check in time and the room was ready and we were checked in without any hassle. Room was very nice, bed was super comfy, the bathroom / shower wasn't massive but was perfectly adequate and was very modern, possibly only just refurbed ?
The Staff were very helpful and friendly and explained how to walk to the NEC.
We were tired out after the Gadget show and decided to have dinner in our room and ordered off the room service menu. Room Service prices were very reasonable compared to other hotels I have stayed in, and the food portions were a good size, and the quality of the food was very good. Although the hotel appeared to be pretty much full, it was very quiet in the room, and even with the windows open I don't remember being disturbed by any noise from the nearby main road (A45).
Breakfast the next day was lovely, and if we didn't have a drive back to London I would have made use of the Leisure Club - Sauna / Swimming Pool / Gym - free to residents.
This was a very very good hotel at LateRooms Prices.........if I was up at the NEC again I would definitely stay here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FrankRoo
Dear FrankRoo,

It sounds like you really enjoyed your stay with us! I am pleased me met and exceeded your expectations.

We are making a few further changes over the coming months, so I look forward to welcoming you back for the Gadget Show next year to see how we have evolved.

Thank you again for your comments.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Stayed here for a week on Business. Picked out as at was on offer and near NEC with a Gym and pool. The room was average for a 3 - 4 star hotel with nothing particular to recommend it. The Gym was OK for a Mans Gym, but my wife who stayed one night found it too intimidating and the approach via a spiral escape staircase not great.

Overall the hotel is a bit shabby but it does have one thing going for it.. The Restaurant Food. I entered on a Sunday at around eight and got the Head Waiters..... have you made a reservation? stare whilst looking at his watch... this being an hour before closing and with the Restaurant empty!!! Expecting the food to be as bad as the Head Waiter I was more than pleasantly suprised. Two nights later (Different Head Waiter - much more pleasant I ate there again. On both occassions for a Table de Hote Menu at circa £20 the food was better than many other hotels I have stayed at.

I would say that the Restaurant food lifted this hotel from three star adequate to potentially the four star it could be,

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear James Y,

Thank you for your feedback on our hotel.

I take on board your comments with regards to the gym, it is a new piece of feedback for us, as we aim to be more universally friendly. We have a new Leisure Club Manager and Assistant Leisure Club Manager on board now, so will liase with them on ways we can improve this, so that we don't have any other guests experiencing issues of this kind.

Your comments on our restaurant are very much appreciated and I will make sure this is handed on to our new Head chef too. I will address the comments you have made about our Maître d'e as we aim to offer a quality dining experience, so that was completely unacceptable.

I hope that in the future you will consider us for future stays, and I look forward to welcoming you and your partner back then.

Carmarthenshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Reception staff were very welcoming, the hotel was warm and inviting.Stayed in Marston room-it was huge and great value.Leisure facilities excellent and quiet! We had a substantial bar meal in the eve ( for the three of us £23!) So we didn't need to go out.Great place to stay with added bonus of free parking. Ideal for NEC, station or airport 7-10 min walk.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Saffilyn,

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us!

We have no plans to change our free residential parking status currently as most of our guests appreciate it.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near futue for your next visit!

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed at the Arden Hotel last week because we had tickets for Mrs Browns boys at the LG arena. This is a very good hotel to stay at if you have any event booked either for the LG or NEC. Its a 15 min walk from the hotel to the Arena and NEC.

Its reasonably priced at £55 per double room and its clean. Staff were friendly there is a bar and restaurant too if one wishes to partake in the pleasures of life like eating and drinking!!

Room Tip: If you use this hotel...walk into the station about 10 mins away and there is a free shuttle train i...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Susan B,

Thank you for your comments and your feedback on your stay with us.

I am pleased you enjoyed it and found value for money in one of our promotional rates.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Michael Simpson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bickenhill
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#23 of 117 in Birmingham
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC

Been to Arden Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!