“great stay”

Arden Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bickenhill
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Hotel may seem a little dated in its decor, however this is soon forgotten with the excellent customer service of all staff and the great food from their on site restaurant.
Have stayed here at least 4 times in the last year and service has not faulted from the usual standard of excellence each time.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

Dear pauline b,

Thank you for your comments, I am pleased that you have enjoyed all your recent stays with us.

I appreciate that there is some work to be done on the decor, in some of our older bedrooms, and we are looking into this in the very near future, so we can continue to offer you a product that will meet your needs and expectations.

Once again Pauline, Thank you for your comments, and I look forward to welcoming you back for your 5th visit!

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Stayed at Arden Hotel for one night as going to Mrs Brown show at LG Arena. Chose it as near to venue and also the price. Arrived by train and hotel is about 10 minute leisurely walk from Railway Station. Make sure you exit station on airport side. Spoke to someone who got taxi from Railway Station and cost was £4.40. Walked to LG Arena in the evening and this took about 15 minutes, again at a leisurely pace. You have to go via Railway Station as Arena on other side of railway line. There is a pedestrian tunnel but this was not open.

Hotel was very good. Room was spacious and clean. Very good service in hotel. A pint of Becks lager with lime was £3.60. Had bar meal which was very good. Cost for most bar meals is £7.99.For smokers there is a covered seated smoking area just outside bar area. You also go this way to reach footpath that leads from rear of hotel to NEC/LG Arena/Railway Station. Had breakfast in the morning which was very good. Cost for breakfast is £10.

Was glad I had booked this hotel when I saw the queues of people waiting after the show for the shuttle buses.

Would use this hotel again if visiting the NEC/LG Arena. Good value for money.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear VisitorfromDevon,

Thank you for your review, and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and your night at the adjacent LG arena!

We are very convenient for LG Arena, and I am sorry to learn that the tunnel wasn't open on that night, it is supposed to be, so I will mention this to the team at LG Arena - hopefully next time we can shave another five minutes off your journey!

I look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Visited the NEC and found this hotel by accident. (Happy Acccident). Twin bedded room very comfortably and well furnished. Impeccably clean . All staff very helpful and friendly (despite being age 59 was asked if I was there for the One Direction gig!). Food in the restaurant was excellent - no gripes at all. Would heartily recommend this to anyone. Close to NEC just a 5 minute taxi ride.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Shina W

Dear Shina W,

Thank you for your feedback! I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

We have worked on the restaurant menu recently, and are getting a lot of positive feedback from our guests, so I am pleased you are in agreement with them!

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future, when you are next in Birmingham.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is our second time here. First time we stayed in room 254. The room was old, it smelt like an ash tray even with the windows open, the wall paper was hanging off in places and webs all the way around the room. The second visit was not any better. We booked a double room and was give a twin. So we had to go back and change rooms. We had breakfast in our room the next morning. No cold drinks no knifes or spoons and no sugar for our hot drinks. Saturday night and there was a wedding on . The disco was that loud we could not hear our tv. why they would put someone in a room above a wedding party when the hotel had plenty of empty room is unbelievable. When I phoned to ask about the time it would finish I was told I could get dressed and change rooms again at this time it was 12.10 in the morning. I will not stay here again. The next course I will stay some where else and travel in.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in new part
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Paul S,

Thank you for your feedback, and I am very sorry to learn of your experience, especially as a returning customer from a previously poor experience.

The hotel has a very strict policy not to place non-party guests over the main function room, and therefore I agree, you absolutely should not have been in this room, and this will be addressed with my Front of House Manager and team to ensure that this does not re-occur.

I am also very disappointed to hear about your room service breakfast, which we generally get very positive responses to. I will investigate with our brasserie team as there is no reason there should have been missing items from your breakfast tray.

I would appreciate if you have the time in the next few weeks that you give me a call directly at the hotel to discuss your stay experience further, as I am very disheartened to learn that you have had negative feedback on your stay, following on from a previously under rated experience.

I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Visited the Arden for mothers day i was very disappointed, I have spent the last 15 plus years visiting for Sunday lunch and many partys, you dont mind paying the extra for mothers day but why cut down on the food,who ever has a sunday lunch without boiled potatoes, they put a roast potatoes on your plate even when it was not ordered when my daughter asked for a potatoe we were told they were not serving them today why was it because it was more important to fill the hotel rather than what was served, I will never book a mothers day again or any other special day when you need to book so many in rather than custom care.Margaret T

Room Tip: stayed many times suites are the best
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Sharend,

Thank you for choosing Arden Hotel for Mothering Sunday, I am sorry to learn you didn't enjoy the experience on the day.

Our new Head Chef, Richard Green, is very actively involved in new menu development at the moment, and your comments and feedback are appreciated so that we can ensure we meet everyone's expectations going forward.

I hope you do reconsider, and take the opportunity to come back and try us again in the future, as we develop a wider selection of dishes and a Mothering Sunday lunch that meets all expectations.

Thank you again for your comments and feedback.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed one night for Crufts with two small dogs, given a single room on ground floor, near to the rear exit of the hotel and back car park which was most appreciated. Room very clean and warm (in fact to warm for me so had to turn radiator off). Staff on front desk very helpful and efficient. Eat in the resturant, food was of a good standard, was disappointed to find that the jug of water had a massive chip out of the side of it, asked for another and after it was taken away was told that they did not have another jug to bring us (come on!!!!) so offered a bottle of water which would have to be paid for :-( no way - so did without. Resturant food was good value for money. Will definately stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear Val321,

Thanks for taking the time to review the Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

I agree with you, we should never have run out of jugs during restaurant service, particularly as we have so many in the hotel. I have addressed this with my Restaurant Manager, who assures me that this hasn't happened before, and rest assured that if this did happen again you will have been given a complimentary alternative.

I look forward to your return to us in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

We stay at the Arden Hotel every year for Crufts and would highly recommend a visit.

The Arden is family run and consequently has a slightly more personal touch than big chains. The real boon of this hotel is it's staff, who are welcoming, friendly and helpful. Many of the staff have worked for the hotel for years and seem to love their job; how they remember us from one year to the next amazes me! During this visit, Samantha really went the extra mile to help us.

The rooms are comfortable and clean and the sound proofing is impressive; you really would struggle to know that a busy road, railway and airport were so close. My only complaint this time, was that I never got clean mugs throughout our four night stay. Not been a problem before.

I was delighted that the hotel had at last provided free wifi this year. Unfortunately I couldn't get it in my room (146), but there's always the bar! It would be good to update the info in the room so that everyone knows how to access it.

Leisure club good as always; the pool was warm and the jacuzzi and sauna a great way to relax after a day pacing up and down the NEC.

The restaurant was excellent, delicious food and top quality service. Could do without the pianist though!

What really lets the hotel down is the bar. The menu choice is poor, especially for those on restricted diets, and the food itself can only be described as ok (despite coming from the same kitchen as the excellent restaurant). However, what really brings the bar down is the staff; unlike all the other staff we have encountered in the hotel, the bar staff are surly and unhelpful. I understand the bar menu is under review, I just hope that the staff improve too. I would really like to give the hotel the 5 it deserves!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank tarkamerl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bickenhill
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#29 of 118 in Birmingham
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Airport

Been to Arden Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!