“Sunday lunch”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bickenhill
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Sunday lunch”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We booked for a family Sunday lunch with friends at the Arden hotel. The hotel was very traditional. Very welcoming and clean. Pre lunch drinks very reasonable priced served by helpful polite bar staff. The starter, mains and dessert were all well presented,tasty and freshly cooked. All served by attentive staff. Children made to feel welcome. Variety of dishes available at a cost of £15 for good size 3 courses plus extra £2.50 for coffee and mints. Excellent value for money. Highly recommended. Will most certainly return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear Blondeblueyes,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Sunday Lunch on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased you enjoyed it! We have a lot of positive feedback with regards to the Sunday Lunch here at the hotel with our restaurant full nearly every week by the time we reach Sunday!

Great to see you had a lovely meal, and took the time to review us. I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Michael Simpson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed at the hotel overnight before a nearby motorcross competition.

Did not arrive until 10.00pm after travelling 3 hours so just wanted a 'luxury' hotel to stay for a nights sleep before leaving at 09.00am.

Terrible stay. Car park full. Poor customer service during check in. Broken lift. Shabby dirty and old room that could do with a face lift but was told this was the refurbished and best room in the hotel/ Travelodges are better. There were long blond hairs in the bed, a dirty ring around the bath, mastic coming off bath, broken tv and room stunk of cigarettes. Awful night sleep in uncomfotable bed with flat pillows. We could not wait to leave.

Paid £140.00 to stay in this hotel which was awful. Room only and no breakfast. Hotel has nothing to offer. The front looks lovely but it is by no means a 'luxury leisure hotel'

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Fayzienug
Dear Fayzienug,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay experience on Tripadvisor and for bringing the issues with your stay to my attention.

I am sorry to learn that you were so unsatisfied with your stay with us. I take on board your comments with regards to our hotel not being 'luxurious'. We position ourselves as a 3* hotel which offers a high quality, comfortable stay with a good selection of facilities to enhance your stay experience. The price paid was during an high demand event period and £140 was discounted on our standard rate but offering good value in the hotel market place during that period.

This being said, I am very unhappy to hear of the state of the room you were in. Based on the comments you have made, you have delivered some real concerns that both myself and my housekeeping manager will address.

I would like the opportunity to get further information from you on the room stayed in, so we can address this for you. I do not believe that guests should ever experience an unclean room, and we will ensure this is reviewed to stop any further issues. I would also like to take an opportunity to discuss your entire experience as I am also concerned with regards to the service you received at reception.

Thank you again for your review and for bringing these matters to my attention, I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Yours faithfully,

Michael Simpson

Travelers are raving about these Bickenhill hotels

Malvern
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed for one night prior to a trip to London. The double room was adequate in size although, as is quite common these days, there was only one armchair. Despite the cold/snowy weather, the room was very warm - in fact we had to turn down the heating. The bed itself was comfortable but we have to agree with previous reviewers that the pillows leave a lot to be desired.
We had time to utilise the leisure facilities; gym was a reasonable size (only one other person using it at the time and had a slection of the usual cardiovascular equiments, weights etc. Some of the kit is bit 'tired' and the rowers in particular would benefit from some maintenance. The pool area is pleasant and clean with a decent size jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. Access to these areas is free for hotel guests.
Dining in the Burgundy Restaurant was a bit 'hit & miss'! The staff were friendly, helpful and effecient so well done to all concerned. We both had the scallops for a starter - a reasonable portion, tasty and most importantly cooked properly.
My wife opted for the sirloin steak (medium/rare) - unfortunately it arrived 'well done' - the staff immediately offered to replace it. The replacement also came out 'well done'. By this stage my wife is getting extremely hungry and I've almost finished my meal! At this point the restaurant manager arrived and apologised and, without any prompting from us, stated there would be no charge for the largely un-eaten steak.
At the other end of the scale, I thought the Chicken Indonesian was superb - nicely balanced spicy flavour, generousportion of tender checken, mini poppadoms, raita dip etc.
Despite the issue with the steak, we would not hesitate to try the hotel and the restaurant again - in fact we are already going to book it for our trip in May. Every kitchen can make a mistake - the key is how they deal with that situation and the staff at the Arden handled it well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank dmg31
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear dmg31,

Thank you for the review on the hotel, and I appreciate your comments, especially when it comes to our Leisure Club as this is an area that most reviewers don't touch on!

I take on board your comments with regards to the pillows in the room and the single armchair, which as you mentioned is very common place in the three star hotel market.

Although I am sorry to learn that you had issues with your steak in the main restaurant, I am pleased to learn that you were very happy with the handling of your complaint. Our new Head Chef joined us this week, and I will feedback to him on this. He is working hard to re-vitalise some of the menu options we have, and inspire our guests going forward - we will ensure this happens for both you and your wife on your next stay with us.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to review us, and I look forward to welcoming you back to us in the near future.

Leicestershire
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights whilst working at the NEC

Good points are it's location, staff, parking, restaurant&bar.

Bad points are the rooms are tired and need refurbishing (very dated, and twin rooms are too small for that use.)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Scuffers
Dear Scuffers,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to visit the Arden Hotel, and for your kind comments with regards to my staff and the service you received.

Its great for me to get direct feedback from a guest at our hotel. If you get an opportunity please contact me on 01675-443221 to discuss further the issues with your room, as this will give me an opportunity to identify your room number and ensure any remedial action happens immediately so that other guests are not experiencing any quality issues with regards to their stay.

I hope to welcome you back soon, and look forward to hearing from you when you have an opportunity.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2013

My son and I stayed at the Arden for our visit to the Performance Motor Show at the NEC for one night and we wish it could have been longer. Michael and his team are brilliant, welcoming, friendly and of course professional. I really got the impression that nothing would have been too much trouble.
We found the room to be clean and comfortable the beds were perfect, there were spare blankets and pillows if required.
We didn't use the rstaurant, choosing to eat in the bar, the food was enjoyed by both of us the service was quick, even when they were busy.
The leisure facilities and staff were also brilliant.
I could go on and on, but think you get the idea, I would have no hesitation in staying at this hotel again.
Top marks again Michael and his team "keep up the good work".

Room Tip: Twin room facing NEC
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank spikel1007
Dear Spikel1007,

Thanks for your review! I am pleased we all met your expectations!

Great news with regards to the bar menu, we do give plentiful portions and get some great feedback with regards to the quality! Our new Head Chef is now on board, and cooking up a storm with our catering team, so hopefully next time you will get an opportunity to dine in our Burgundy Suite restaurant, and sample some of the great menu options we have available.

I look forward to welcoming you and your son back, when you are next in the area.

Matlock
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stay very often at the hotel on business and can't fault it. Really friendly staff on reception. stayed in a number of the rooms and they are all up to standard. Hotel has good leisure facilities. Great location for NEC and airport!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Stickman_blue
Dear Stickman_blue,

Thanks for your review, and I am pleased that you are consistently happy with your stays with us.

If there is any more we can do to assist, please let me or the front desk team know during your next stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back shortly.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Stayed here for a business meeting at the Hotel in October 2012, which was well executed and well priced by the hotel.

Our nights sleep was good, if not excellent but the whole hotel felt a little bit, well, old. When there is not an event on at the O2 be warned this is a hotel absolutely crammed full of travelling salesmen types - not something I had experienced for a while but nothing untoward about it.

The meal we had the evening previously was exceedingly tasty, and I'd recommend the Mushroom Strogonoff to future residents of the hotel. Spot on.

Service was friendly throughout but nothing spectacular.

The hotel is a quick walk (if you know the back way!!, via the industrial estate, just keep walking until you see it! - it's alot longer following the road signs) from Birmingham International Station, and thus from Birmingham Airport and the NEC.

I would return on a work meeting visit due the location, well priced facilities and good food - but don't expect anything outstanding here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear PhilAndrews77,

Thank you for taking the time to review us at the Arden Hotel.

I appreciate your feedback with regards to your stay, and take on board your comments with regards to the hotel, and I am pleased that you found the service to be friendly and courteous.

We are continuoulsy reviewing our bedrooms, and are currently in the process of reviewing a few of our rooms and highlighting a few that are in need of a change. We aim to offer a good value proposition to all, as highlighted in your reviews, and I appreciate the feedback with regards to the quality of your sleep and the comfort of your stay.

As mentioned in your review, you would look to return to us when next in the area, and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Michael Simpson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bickenhill
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#24 of 117 in Birmingham
Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC

Been to Arden Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!